Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:34 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I was not passing judgement, as some of you seem to think. I was saying "curiouser and curiouser".
I did take your post as "passing judgment", I was just offering a possible explanation as to why she did not contact her family or authorities despite having computer and email access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 04:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I did take your post as "passing judgment", I was just offering a possible explanation as to why she did not contact her family or authorities despite having computer and email access.
Gotcha! She probably had very mixed feelings about what her life was all about.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:40 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Parts of various emails she supposedly sent to customers definitely suggest she was very familiar with the printing business. I thought from early reports that she was locked up in the backyard and was never given any privileges. Sounds like her captures really brainwashed her good!

I find it really strange that since she was already 11 years old when abducted that she didn't try to escape or alert authorities whenever she could. It wasn't like she was a baby and was led to believe her life was normal. Further, even if she was threatened early on - why would she forgive her captures and idolize them? Strange...

When she first spoke to her mother I understand she said - Hi Mom, I have two children! Much like she was giving her mother a weekly update on her life. Very strange...

Old 08-30-2009, 04:52 PM

68 posts, read 455,695 times
Not all 5th graders are normally doing drugs and having sex you know. Eleven years old is normally 5th grade. I imagine she spent a good deal of time initially terrorized, and then learned to adapt, but probably very emotionally scarred. Even though she was able to work in the "family" business doesn't mean she was just hunky dory. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. I can't imagine what she must have gone through.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:52 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Parts of various emails she supposedly sent to customers definitely suggest she was very familiar with the printing business. I thought from early reports that she was locked up in the backyard and was never given any privileges. Sounds like her captures really brainwashed her good!

I find it really strange that since she was already 11 years old when abducted that she didn't try to escape or alert authorities whenever she could. It wasn't like she was a baby and was led to believe her life was normal. Further, even if she was threatened early on - why would she forgive her captures and idolize them? Strange...

When she first spoke to her mother I understand she said - Hi Mom, I have two children! Much like she was giving her mother a weekly update on her life. Very strange...
One report said she is emotionally still around 11.

From that I conclude that the psychological damage is severe. There are frequent explanations provided by experts on TV. They say possibly she had to bond with the captors to cope with the horror. Something along the lines of post traumatic stress experienced by prisoners of war, soldiers and others who witness catastrophic events.

She was raped, repeatedly, lived in squalor and gave up hope, I would think.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Her mind and spirt were broken in the early days of her abduction. After that she probably didn't think about escaping. It's not unusual and doesn't mean anything.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
So that makes kidanpping a kid alraight. Ever hear of brain washing ? It really just shows that once a preditor always a danger. We need to never release these people has has been shown over and over agin.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
It's so easy to speculate about what someone "should" have done, isn't it?

Stockholm Syndrome is a survival mechanism, by the way. It's kept people alive who might not otherwise be so.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:00 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Well, here's a great example of someone blaming the victim. Pathetic.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
One report said she is emotionally still around 11.

From that I conclude that the psychological damage is severe. There are frequent explanations provided by experts on TV. They say possibly she had to bond with the captors to cope with the horror. Something along the lines of post traumatic stress experienced by prisoners of war, soldiers and others who witness catastrophic events.

She was raped, repeatedly, lived in squalor and gave up hope, I would think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Her mind and spirt were broken in the early days of her abduction. After that she probably didn't think about escaping. It's not unusual and doesn't mean anything.
Exactly. This story is so inexplicably horrendous and horrific that even a suggestion that this girl should have alerted someone is beyond understanding.

Eleven is a child. It is common in abductions for the child to become bonded to her captors. She was with her family for 11 years and with these people for 18 living in squalor in tents and lean-to's in the backyard. It's basically all she has ever known. By the time she had the email and was involved in doing the graphics for the printing, she had been completely brainwashed.

I don't care if the man is sick. I'm tired of these people being called "sick" ... he and his wife are evil incarnate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime