Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Don't put words in my mouth I didn't say or convey. There is a possibility that maybe she became attached to her kidnappers and decided that she liked being with them more than she did at home. We don't know. Maybe her parents were very strict. Maybe they stayed on her about her grades and stuff. Maybe she said "i got a place to sleep, food to eat and I don't have to put up with grades, parents, school and all that crap anymore". I don't know. I am just asking the questions I want answers to because this is like the most bizzare thing I have ever seen.
I've lost any respect I ever had for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I am surprised that Kev K would make this sort of remark, too.

Originally Posted by KevK
Don't put words in my mouth I didn't say or convey. There is a possibility that maybe she became attached to her kidnappers and decided that she liked being with them more than she did at home. We don't know. Maybe her parents were very strict. Maybe they stayed on her about her grades and stuff. Maybe she said "i got a place to sleep, food to eat and I don't have to put up with grades, parents, school and all that crap anymore". I don't know. I am just asking the questions I want answers to because this is like the most bizzare thing I have ever seen.

The parents have been interviewed, mainly the stepdad and clips were shown of the Mom pleading for the return of her child. No, we can't be absolutely certain, but from the demeanor of both parents I am satisfied that they were rational and caring if not exceptionally fine parents.

Rarely do I hear the panel experts express such vehement disgust over a criminal's behavior. I must have heard 5 or more say 'no potential for rehabilitation', psychotic state, doubtful that an insanity defense will work, and they dismiss his father's theory that a head injury and drug abuse are nothing more than 'excuses'. Most commentators seem to be apoplectic and so am I.

His first victim has given explicit details of the brutal treatment she received and I don't think he had his hands on her for more than a few hours. When she saw his face on the TV she said she couldn't stop screaming.

He/they are the lowest of the low to most of us.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Whats sad is that Parole officers don't need a search warrent. They are allowed to search at will. This guys parole officer, inspite of the convicts history, never felt a need to do a real search. Who knows how this story might have ended had the officer done his job.
Once again this scum bag illustrates why Capital punishment should be used on such animals.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Whats sad is that Parole officers don't need a search warrent. They are allowed to search at will. This guys parole officer, inspite of the convicts history, never felt a need to do a real search. Who knows how this story might have ended had the officer done his job.
Once again this scum bag illustrates why Capital punishment should be used on such animals.

Some where in this thread I thought I saw a post that stated Antioch had an exceptionally high number of sex offenders, living in this area.

Well--if the citizens of this community don't get serious about addressing this problem then HLN and the others should park their mobile units in Antioch until public scrutiny provides some motivation.

How in good conscience can you accept a position as a parole officer and not feel some sense of obligation to 'leave no stone unturned'. In my community this would be taken seriously and we would probably have a sheriff facing legal action--we have had two to be removed from office and there would be irate citizens demanding better protection.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Some where in this thread I thought I saw a post that stated Antioch had an exceptionally high number of sex offenders, living in this area.

Well--if the citizens of this community don't get serious about addressing this problem then HLN and the others should park their mobile units in Antioch until public scrutiny provides some motivation.

How in good conscience can you accept a position as a parole officer and not feel some sense of obligation to 'leave no stone unturned'. In my community this would be taken seriously and we would probably have a sheriff facing legal action--we have had two to be removed from office and there would be irate citizens demanding better protection.
I think in many communities it would be an issue. The ACLU does their level best to protect such predatores. Its a shame that these predatores are not being put down like the rabid ani,als that they are.
I agree with you, and if I were a Parole officer I would make it my mission to be all over these predatores.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Its not often that I defend Kev. But in this case I will take a stab at it. Most people wonder why a victim doesn't simply run away. Why stay they wonder? Thats because most normal and good people do not and cannot imagine how to break a persons will to their own. It won't happen over night it takes time and abuse but it can be done. Battered wife syndrom being a perfect example.
I won't discuss the details of how it can be done to a stranger. I don't need to. The fact that every year we hear about a few cases of this should be enough to support it as real.
My defence of Kev is simple. He just doesn't think in the terms required to understand how this happens. I disagree with Kev about 98% of the time. That said I can't sight a single post that demonstrates that he is evil. Annoying at times? Oh everyday.LOL

Old 09-02-2009, 11:29 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Thanks for your post.

I'm sure a lot of people have wondered why she didn't run away and thought that certainly in all that time she must have had at least one chance to do so.

And I think that a lot of people superimpose what they would have done in a given situation onto the victim as a way of making themselves feel safe. They convince themselves that they would have performed all manner of heroics and then wonder why the victim didn't do so.

But saying that perhaps she preferred being raped and tortured to doing homework is something I simply cannot respect.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,206,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Parts of various emails she supposedly sent to customers definitely suggest she was very familiar with the printing business. I thought from early reports that she was locked up in the backyard and was never given any privileges. Sounds like her captures really brainwashed her good!

I find it really strange that since she was already 11 years old when abducted that she didn't try to escape or alert authorities whenever she could. It wasn't like she was a baby and was led to believe her life was normal. Further, even if she was threatened early on - why would she forgive her captures and idolize them? Strange...

When she first spoke to her mother I understand she said - Hi Mom, I have two children! Much like she was giving her mother a weekly update on her life. Very strange...

good grief
folks that have not one clue as to what this girl went through
and yet they blather on like they have it all worked out
do a research on sexual abuse why don't you??

Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think in many communities it would be an issue. The ACLU does their level best to protect such predatores. Its a shame that these predatores are not being put down like the rabid ani,als that they are.
I agree with you, and if I were a Parole officer I would make it my mission to be all over these predatores.
I guess we take things more seriously here---Thank God and ourselves.

I don't know how our local PD has managed with the type of crime that seems to occur from time to time--budget cuts, reduction in the size of the force but they stay on top of public safety. The courthouse does a brisk business,too.

I have googled and learned that there are sex offenders living in a 5-10 mile radius of my home--knock on wood there has not been the first problem in several decades. Neighbors would be very persistent and probably a media station would have been contacted if sufficient interest was not forthcoming.

I would not wish to be a parole officer but if that was my job I would exercise full authority if I suspected those that I supervised suffered from some form of mental illness. I can't for the life of me understand how 'Creepy Phil' didn't get many visits and why the premises were not thoroughly searched.

Prior to visiting the Berkeley campus to advise them of his intent to hand out literature on his brand of religion he delivered a lengthy manifesto to the FBI concerning 'The Healing of Schizophrenia and Sexual Dysfunction'. Maybe the FBI receives many such documents but one would think they, too, would have gotten in touch with the parole officer.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,414 times
Unfortunately, you can't really trust the sex offender list....they aren't all pedophiles or rapists or perverts of some sort. You can get on the sex offender list for mooning or peeing by the side of the road or having sex with your boy/girl friend. The lists are more useful when they tell you what the actual crime is so you can tell the perverts from the guys who pull over on a long car trip to take a whiz behind a bush.

However, they KNEW this guy was a rapist and if they aren't going to lock him up forever they ought to at least keep a closer eye. There is no such thing as 'time served' for these people, they are a continual risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime