Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:04 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,225,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Terrance I have to ask you... BE HONEST! If this guy had taken the life of a family member of yours.. say your child, your brother, your father, your grandmother, your mother ect. would you feel differently about this subject?
Of course I would feel differently. But I also feel that it's hypocritical to have the death penalty. I am thankful to never have been in the position to decide that such as being on a jury. And I'll bet you're glad too since you are pro-death penalty. It's okay to have differences in opinion. I won't shed a tear for this guy but I would never want to be in such a position as to decide whether someone lives or dies no matter how much they "deserve" to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:07 PM

722 posts, read 1,977,962 times
FWIW, I'm totally with you terrence81. I do not believe that the Commonwealth has any place deciding who lives and who dies. I agree about being on a jury, too - I also don't have the moral authority to make such a decision. Plus, as all the recent fuss about Cameron Todd Willingham shows, the death penalty makes it possible for innocent people to be executed. Even though we know the sniper is guilty, not all cases are so clear-cut. As far as I'm concerned, no amount of vengence is worth taking that risk.

But I don't know that this is qualifying as an on-topic thread anymore...

Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM

13,916 posts, read 39,195,413 times
Maybe you should move to a state where they dont have death penaty.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
FWIW, I'm totally with you terrence81. I do not believe that the Commonwealth has any place deciding who lives and who dies. I agree about being on a jury, too - I also don't have the moral authority to make such a decision. Plus, as all the recent fuss about Cameron Todd Willingham shows, the death penalty makes it possible for innocent people to be executed. Even though we know the sniper is guilty, not all cases are so clear-cut. As far as I'm concerned, no amount of vengence is worth taking that risk.

But I don't know that this is qualifying as an on-topic thread anymore...
And really that's all the death penalty is, vengence.

No, I think it's on topic because his actions affected the people of this area greatly. He caused lots of fear and killed a lot of people. At the end what he did was a terrible terrible thing.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Maybe you should move to a state where they dont have death penaty.
No. Those states tend to have too many problems for my liking. No I like Virginia just fine. Let's not get carried away. I'm not some activist that plans to protest the prison where he's being executed.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 PM

NO its Not! Its about making the general population Safe! Killers can break out, get parolled. & they can Kill Inside prision. They Kill Guards, Doctors, nurse & fellow inmates! They can escape & Kill. Killing a Murder is more like Killing a rabid animal...you may not want to but for everyones safty you Have to.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
NO its Not! Its about making the general population Safe! Killers can break out, get parolled. & they can Kill Inside prision. They Kill Guards, Doctors, nurse & fellow inmates! They can escape & Kill. Killing a Murder is more like Killing a rabid animal...you may not want to but for everyones safty you Have to.
Yeah the chances of him escaping to kill again are small. So while you have a valid point (gave you a rep point) I still don't agree with the death penalty. And no I could never put down an animal either, I wouldn't pull the plug on a dying relative either. At the same time it would easier to put down an animal than a person. Because doing so preserves human life.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:29 PM

Well you just keep believing that! & BTW tell that Guard & His family how Small a chance was getting killed by an inmate was. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...shooting_x.htm A friend of mine was this guys Co Worker!!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Well you just keep believing that! & BTW tell that Guard & His family how Small a chance was getting killed by an inmate was.
What's up with the exclamation points? There was a guard that was killed? I'm confused. If that's the case that's terrible. Katie, I already said that you had a valid point but we may have to agree to disagree. I hope you aren't implying that by being against the death penalty I must be in favor of a prison guard's murder or any of the fine people who aren't putting themselves in harms way for the sake of preserving the life of a terrible person.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
What's up with the exclamation points? There was a guard that was killed? I'm confused. If that's the case that's terrible. Katie, I already said that you had a valid point but we may have to agree to disagree.
Check the updates in my above post... I slow at this typing copy paste stuff LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime