Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 06:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I think things were stacked against her although I don't know whether she is guilty or not. This is precisely why I am hesitant to visit abroad as the laws and justice systems are different than the US. With all the anti-American sentiment expressed in other nations, can an American expect a fair trial?
Not after Bush/Cheney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 06:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I think things were stacked against her although I don't know whether she is guilty or not. This is precisely why I am hesitant to visit abroad as the laws and justice systems are different than the US. With all the anti-American sentiment expressed in other nations, can an American expect a fair trial?
She would probably have gotten a better reaction had she not behaved as if the laws don't apply to her and everything was one big party to her. I think that had more to do with the verdict than anti-americna sentiment

Old 12-05-2009, 06:34 PM

446 posts, read 830,973 times
It seems like many of you have missed the point...IF she's guilty they had a duty to Amanda and Meredith to PROVE, without a doubt, her guilt. They didn't do this. I don't know if she did it or not...all I'm saying is she didn't get a fair trial.

The jurors were literally told by the judges what to think, what to do, how to sentence her. The jurors were not sequestered and were subjected to the same media flood the entire country of Italy was. "American wh*re murders young student in wave of drugs and wild sex!!!" HEADLINE after HEADLINE...if these media spins were not Anti-American I don't know what is...the state dept is looking into this as is one of the Senators from WA. No idea what they can/will do, but there is talk....sigh.

If they call that justice I am afraid to visit there. There is proof on tape they screwed up the forensics by leaving things in the apt for weeks, moving them around without gloves, deciding after handling them they were evidence. They dug their fingers in Meredith's wounds...again, documented on tape. NBC has seen the tapes and talked about some of this on Dateline on Friday.

Like I said, I don't know if she did it. I agree with the poster that said as a Mom she aches over this. I do as well. I have 3 kids, 21, 16 and 14. To think of any of my children in a foreign prison literally hurts. To think of those young people losing their youth.....it's sad. If they did it they deserve the punishment, if they didn't then it's absolutely unimaginable.

It has been said in the media here that Italy has a liberal appeals process and that it looks "hopeful". Guess we'll see. All I'm asking for is fairness...Everyone involved deserves that. Fairness and what's right and truthful without opinion...only fact...fact, not tampered with evidence. It doesn't matter how skilled the forensics team is..the best in Italy??? Seems like they would have taken more care in this...especially while being taped!

Guess we'll see....this isn't going to go away anytime soon, unfortunately.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:39 PM

How dare another country to not run their court systems the way we tell them to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
It seems like many of you have missed the point...IF she's guilty they had a duty to Amanda and Meredith to PROVE, without a doubt, her guilt. They didn't do this. I don't know if she did it or not...all I'm saying is she didn't get a fair trial.

The jurors were literally told by the judges what to think, what to do, how to sentence her. The jurors were not sequestered and were subjected to the same media flood the entire country of Italy was. "American wh*re murders young student in wave of drugs and wild sex!!!" HEADLINE after HEADLINE...if these media spins were not Anti-American I don't know what is...the state dept is looking into this as is one of the Senators from WA. No idea what they can/will do, but there is talk....sigh.

If they call that justice I am afraid to visit there. There is proof on tape they screwed up the forensics by leaving things in the apt for weeks, moving them around without gloves, deciding after handling them they were evidence. They dug their fingers in Meredith's wounds...again, documented on tape. NBC has seen the tapes and talked about some of this on Dateline on Friday.

Like I said, I don't know if she did it. I agree with the poster that said as a Mom she aches over this. I do as well. I have 3 kids, 21, 16 and 14. To think of any of my children in a foreign prison literally hurts. To think of those young people losing their youth.....it's sad. If they did it they deserve the punishment, if they didn't then it's absolutely unimaginable.

It has been said in the media here that Italy has a liberal appeals process and that it looks "hopeful". Guess we'll see. All I'm asking for is fairness...Everyone involved deserves that. Fairness and what's right and truthful without opinion...only fact...fact, not tampered with evidence. It doesn't matter how skilled the forensics team is..the best in Italy??? Seems like they would have taken more care in this...especially while being taped!

Guess we'll see....this isn't going to go away anytime soon, unfortunately.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
This girl fit the classic definition of a psychopath
  1. Glibness/superficial charm.
  2. Grandiose sense of self-worth.
  3. Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
  4. Pathological lying
  5. Cunning/manipulative
  6. Lack of remorse or guilt
  7. Shallow affect
  8. Callous/lack of empathy
  9. Parasitic lifestyle
  10. Poor behavioral controls
  11. Promiscuous sexual behavior
  12. Early behavior problems
  13. Lack of realistic, long-term plans
  14. Impulsivity
  15. Irresponsibility
  16. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions
  17. Many short-term marital relationships
  18. Juvenile delinquency
  19. Revocation of conditional release
  20. Criminal versatility

Old 12-05-2009, 07:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This girl fit the classic definition of a psychopath
  1. Glibness/superficial charm.
  2. Grandiose sense of self-worth.
  3. Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
  4. Pathological lying
  5. Cunning/manipulative
  6. Lack of remorse or guilt
  7. Shallow affect
  8. Callous/lack of empathy
  9. Parasitic lifestyle
  10. Poor behavioral controls
  11. Promiscuous sexual behavior
  12. Early behavior problems
  13. Lack of realistic, long-term plans
  14. Impulsivity
  15. Irresponsibility
  16. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions
  17. Many short-term marital relationships
  18. Juvenile delinquency
  19. Revocation of conditional release
  20. Criminal versatility
You can't be serious....

Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You can't be serious....
as a heart attack. Yes.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:11 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The arrogance is breathtaking. Most other nations are pretty happy with the system they have and certainly, in Western Europe, they have no desire to emulate the American system.
Lol, of course corrupt mafioso judicial systems in Western Europe would not want to emulate the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Not after Bush/Cheney.
Seriously? Even though half of the American voting block didn't vote for them? If that's how Europeans really feel then they are living in darker ages than previously imagined. Scary stuff over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
How dare another country to not run their court systems the way we tell them to!
Indeed. How dare we demand fair trials. The USA is so backwards.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Seriously? Even though half of the American voting block didn't vote for them? If that's how Europeans really feel then they are living in darker ages than previously imagined. Scary stuff over there.

Indeed. How dare we demand fair trials. The USA is so backwards.
We don't rule the world so we don't get to dictate to other nations how to conduct their court proceedings. Don't like the way another country runs their court then either don't go to that country or don't commit crimes in that country.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Dateline NBC: News stories about crime, celebrity and health- msnbc.com
(upper right hand corner you can watch the full story. It's several parts)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime