Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times

Advertisements

I was living in alone Hollywood during that time and remember all the panic going on. I wasn't too worried as he was not really active in my area. My Dad was pretty scared and called me several times a day to check on me.

A female friend of my brother's was murdered by what we then thought was the Southside Slayer. I remember being at my parent's house one day and a somewhat famous LA detective came to the door looking for my brother to question him about the woman. New evidence shows it was probably one of 4-5 men responsible for her murder. Prosecutors: L.A. Serial Killer Really 4-5 Men - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:14 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I read the book, but didn't live there. All I remember was he was quiet as a cat when he entered and left someone's home, even while the others in the house slept peacefully. I could never be a serial killer. If I did something like that, I'd have left a trail of poop from the inside of the house, all the way down the street! I would have been too scared someone would have seen me, coming and going.

I also read the book on L.A.'s most notorious serial killer, Randy Kraft, preying on hitchhikers. That book really struck home, as when that was happening in L.A. I had went out there to be a hippy, and hitchhiked around everywhere. 57 victims accounted for. How many unaccounted for?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
My dad knew Richard Ramirez. My dad used to go into downtown LA and hang out for lunch and do some partying with his buddies, and he met Ramirez in a restaurant/bar place, and drank with him several times. When the news broke and my dad saw his face on tv, he freaked out. I remember his words.... HOLY SHYTE!... I KNOW HIM!!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 05:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
My dad knew Richard Ramirez. My dad used to go into downtown LA and hang out for lunch and do some partying with his buddies, and he met Ramirez in a restaurant/bar place, and drank with him several times. When the news broke and my dad saw his face on tv, he freaked out. I remember his words.... HOLY SHYTE!... I KNOW HIM!!!!
Did you dad ever get the impression that he was crazy?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
I remember not sleeping well at all and it being hot. TNS would just roam the streets at night like nothing. We didn't have a gate large enough to deter anybody that wanted in. People were waiting for him though--they wanted to do him. Dummy went into the wrong neighborhood and got jumped LA style. lol

Old 02-24-2010, 06:30 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
Richard Ramirez learned his sick trade at a young age from his uncle, who returned from the Vietnam war and showed young Richard his photos of all the Vietnamese (mostly women) whom he tortured and mutilated and photographed at the point of death, and then encouraged young Richard to carry out similar acts.

The wave of southern California serial killings in the 70's and 80's was just another blowback from our Holocaust in Vietnam. Most of those killers were US military vets (mostly Marines), including Leonard Lake, Charles Ng and all the others whose names I can't remember right now. Look it up.

War is wrong. War and militarism are not the answers.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I read the book, but didn't live there. All I remember was he was quiet as a cat when he entered and left someone's home, even while the others in the house slept peacefully. I could never be a serial killer. If I did something like that, I'd have left a trail of poop from the inside of the house, all the way down the street! I would have been too scared someone would have seen me, coming and going.

I also read the book on L.A.'s most notorious serial killer, Randy Kraft, preying on hitchhikers. That book really struck home, as when that was happening in L.A. I had went out there to be a hippy, and hitchhiked around everywhere. 57 victims accounted for. How many unaccounted for?
Oh wow I hadn't heard of Randy Kraft before. I wish I hadn't the wiki entry on him...pretty disturbing. I always thought John Gacy killed the most young men out of all the serial killers...guess not. I hitchhiked once when I was younger and it was a creepy ride, I think the guy was trying to creep me out....vowed never again.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post

War is wrong. War and militarism are not the answers.
What would be your suggestion for dealing with Hitler?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
I was in California and remember them all with the exception of Zodiac who was a few years before I moved here. Ramirez was, by far, the most feared during his spree because of the complete randomness and the violence of his attacks. Not to mention that his latter crimes occurred during summer months when people were afraid to leave their windows open.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Did you dad ever get the impression that he was crazy?
No, he never said anything like that. Just that the guy hung out around there and he saw him frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime