Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times

Advertisements

More extortion on the way (mandatory flood insurance)!

The article is in today's Arizona Daily Star. Checking your property is here:

- for the city of Tucson: RFCD FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map Revisions

- unincorporated Pima County: Pima County Regional Flood Control District

- Marana, Oro Valley, or any other incorporated area: no idea...

It's pretty hard to navigate site and the maps are also pretty hard to read. I'm still not 100% sure what exactly it shows for my house, but I can see the wash is colored in blue and my house isn't, so hopefully it's safe... Who knows what will happen after another "revision," though...

Rick, maybe you can throw some light...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 10:54 AM

532 posts, read 1,176,714 times
From what I saw in the AZDS this morning, it just looks like the flood plain changed to better line up with the washes?

Old 06-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
From what I saw in the AZDS this morning, it just looks like the flood plain changed to better line up with the washes?
I don't know... It also mentioned a property near N Tucson & E Fort Lowell. I'm not that familiar with the area, but it sounds like a strange location to be in the flood plain to me...

Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
More extortion on the way (mandatory flood insurance)!

The article is in today's Arizona Daily Star. Checking your property is here:

- for the city of Tucson: RFCD FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map Revisions

- unincorporated Pima County: Pima County Regional Flood Control District

- Marana, Oro Valley, or any other incorporated area: no idea...

It's pretty hard to navigate site and the maps are also pretty hard to read. I'm still not 100% sure what exactly it shows for my house, but I can see the wash is colored in blue and my house isn't, so hopefully it's safe... Who knows what will happen after another "revision," though...

Rick, maybe you can throw some light...
Yes, flood plain maps are difficult to read and site is hard to naviagte. This applies to homes in flood zones with government backed loans. In the first quarter of 2010, 96.6% of all loans were Fannie, Freddie, or FHA backed loans! I have my own thoughts on the whole FEMA flood "pain" insurance thing, but will keep that to myself. You certainly can't tell anything by going out and visually looking yourself. I know of an area of 3.3 acre lots, visually it all looks the same, but two side by side lots have different ratings. With land buyers in particular, I have them go in and talk to the Planning Dept. at Marana, Pima County etc. before they buy. Because it doesn't matter what I tell them from me looking at maps, I can't authorize permits. My clients have found the people at Marana, Oro Valley and Pima County are all very helpful with these issues, flooding, potential build sites. That way they are fully informed before making a purchase offer, or deciding they son't want anything to do with it. The maps are always changing, as the article points out some 9,000 lots removed, another 9,000 were added . Here's the official Gov's Flood Insurance site for whatever it's worth.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
The maps are always changing, as the article points out some 9,000 lots removed, another 9,000 were added .
That's the thing... Being careful when buying doesn't save you from being swindled later.

Yeah, I've plenty of thoughts myself...

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
Here's an example. I just looked up a lot some clients have been considering. It WAS 100% in Zone "X", which is good, the new map now shows only 25% in zone X and 75% in Zone AO, (not good)

Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Here's an example. I just looked up a lot some clients have been considering. It WAS 100% in Zone "X", which is good, the new map now shows only 25% in zone X and 75% in Zone AO, (not good)
Wow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson