U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:10 PM

476 posts, read 1,607,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Many of the neighborhoods people are mentioning in this thread sound great, but what are the HOA fees like? I would prefer a neighborhood with no HOA, but if there is a HOA, a low fee and/or good bang for the buck would be crucial.

Anyone know where to go to get info on Tucson neighborhood HOA fees?
Foothills Insider has great information about finding out the HOA particulars on a listing. We are in the process of relocating to Tucson and the dues are under $250 year. Here in NC we pay $525 annually, so it seems reasonable here considering they have way more amenities to offer than our current location does.

I know there are many people who hesitate to buy a home with an HOA, as well as those who would not buy if there was not an HOA to keep things in line. HOA's get a bad rap from a few militant neighborhoods. IMHO the rules are meant to help keep values up and stability & integrity of the community in check. If run properly it also should provide you an avenue of support if there is something amiss in the neighorhood.

If you aren't planning to do anything extraordinary, why not? I read a recent thread in an area outside of Tucson and I bet this guy wishes he had an HOA to keep these kinds of neighbors from doing what they are!
//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...s-problem.html

If I were buying unsubdivided, non-HOA you can be sure I would have a LOT of space between me and the closest neighbor. Peace & Quiet...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 AM

364 posts, read 470,931 times
The absolute best areas of town are the Catalina Foothills. Zip codes 85718, 85750 and 85749. These are, unsurprisingly, also the most expensive. These zips are in Catalina Foothills SD and TVSD, the best in Tucson. There are plenty of families in these areas, but not necessarily "family-friendly" in terms of amenities or parks.

Truthfully, 85750 and 85749 are kind of far from town also.

The best combination of nice area and family-friendly would be Oro Valley or Vail. It depends on where you will be working as to which area would be better, IMO. OV is generally a little more expensive though.

Sahuarita would place after OV and Vail. The schools there are improving as more families are moving there and into Green Valley, but are not on the same level as OV or Vail.

Most of these areas would serve your needs well, I believe.

To the poster about 85745 and 85743 zips. Those are huge zips and can be a little "hit or miss". There are some nice areas and some bad ones. It seems to vary by neighborhood.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 14,358 times
Thanks everyone for the great info. It'll help us when we're there driving around in a couple weeks.

I guess it's safe to say that North Tucson is the nice end of town, and South Tucson is the not-so-nice part of town.

How is Green Valley? I know it's far south and kind of made for seniors ... but does anyone know how that area compares to say the nicer parts of North or NW Tucson?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:29 AM

10 posts, read 46,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bragnan View Post
Thanks everyone for the great info. It'll help us when we're there driving around in a couple weeks.
You might want to search online for Complimentary Tucson, AZ Relocation Package. It usually includes Tucson map, dining guide, list of resources, Tucson Lifestyle magazine and plenty of useful information. This way you can get familiarity with the area, stores, and things to do in Tucson before you come to Tucson.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 AM

352 posts, read 540,002 times
Quote:
How is Green Valley? I know it's far south and kind of made for seniors ... but does anyone know how that area compares to say the nicer parts of North or NW Tucson?
Well honestly, Green Valley is very specific to catering to the seniors, so its got some nice places to live as well, but there isn't much economic development surrounding that area. So, it really doesn't offer a fair comparison to the NW side of Tucson.

I used to play golf there often....and that was pretty much the highlight of the area other than community social gatherings.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:40 PM

26 posts, read 92,435 times
A hearty, hearty thank you to everyone who continues to add to this thread. I've gathered a lot of info and am looking forward to visiting the area and seeing certain parts of town for myself.
Again, thank you.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:39 AM

364 posts, read 470,931 times
Quote:

I guess it's safe to say that North Tucson is the nice end of town, and South Tucson is the not-so-nice part of town.

GV is mostly for seniors. It borders Sahuarita so there are some communities there like Madera Highlands that cater to families. Really kind of similar to Sahuarita (85629).

I wanted to clarify Vail a little. The Vail zip 85641 is huge and can be really far from town. You can get the Vail school district in Rita Ranch (85747) and would be closer.

South Tucson is considered a not-so-nice part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson