U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 AM

17 posts, read 73,412 times

Advertisements

I found a dead insect in my yard that is is very big. It's body is all black with large black legs and has wings that look orange/brown. I've seen this bug in flight and laughed thinking it flew like a B52-bomber. Some folks might call it a June bug, but that doesn't really help me identify it because when I Googled June bug nothing matched.

I'm attaching two photos of him. So sorry his legs are pulled up under him because he is VERY large.

Thelma
Attached Thumbnails
What is this flying insect?-flying-insect-7-21-10-002.jpg   What is this flying insect?-flying-insect-7-21-10-001.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,669,690 times
I'm pretty sure that's a tarantula hawk. They're pretty crazy, here's an article about them. Tarantula Hawks - DesertUSA

Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 PM

4,867 posts, read 7,438,193 times
I agree. It's a tarantula hawk. They fly slowly and look like they'll fall from the air.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 PM

476 posts, read 1,504,093 times
Default Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I'm pretty sure that's a tarantula hawk. They're pretty crazy, here's an article about them. Tarantula Hawks - DesertUSA
I just read that article - OMH! That is like a SCI-FI movie! Glad their prey are tarantula instead of humans, but I will be sure to steer clear of them regardless.

Thanks for the informative link!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 PM

17 posts, read 73,412 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yep, by golly, that's what it is...a Tarantula Hawk Wasp. I thought it was a hilarious flying disaster waiting to happen but after reading the article, I'm so glad they are few and far between where I live! Being stung by one does NOT sound like an experience I want to have. I never thought I'd feel sorry for a spider but being eaten alive doesn't sound like much fun!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 AM

207 posts, read 494,053 times
T-Hawks have the most powerful sting of any insect in North America. Described as having an electic heater thrown in your tub. "The only thing you can do is lay on the ground and scream for 2 hours"... from a U of A researcher.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:22 PM

479 posts, read 634,571 times
That is quite the insect! Makes humans look harmless!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 PM

12 posts, read 35,575 times
Thanx. I have lived here 32 years and never even heard of that. Reminds me of the movie "Alien". Would not want to be the tarantula.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:47 PM

56 posts, read 102,321 times
I have an office at Ryan Field. I've seen several at a time flying slowly around there. They land near the watering heads and drink. They are pretty fast on the ground but, in the air they seem challenged. I will keep my distance. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 PM

339 posts, read 738,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springdaleia View Post
I found a dead insect in my yard that is is very big. It's body is all black with large black legs and has wings that look orange/brown. I've seen this bug in flight and laughed thinking it flew like a B52-bomber. Some folks might call it a June bug, but that doesn't really help me identify it because when I Googled June bug nothing matched.

I'm attaching two photos of him. So sorry his legs are pulled up under him because he is VERY large.

Thelma
That might be the same wierd kind of flying thing I've been seeing that it's big for a bug but small for a bird and I can't tell if it's a bird or a bug. It flies by so fast I just catch quick glimpses of it enough to know it's something I never saw before and if it's a bug it's huge but if it's a bird then it's a tiny bird. If I can manage to catch sight of one not flying I will take a picture of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
T-Hawks have the most powerful sting of any insect in North America. Described as having an electic heater thrown in your tub. "The only thing you can do is lay on the ground and scream for 2 hours"... from a U of A researcher.
OMG!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson