Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 02:01 PM

162 posts, read 849,791 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm considering a move to Tucson but am concerned about finding employment. Also, is it true most jobs want you to speak English and Spanish? I'm 52 years old. I don't have a college degree and do clerical accounting/customer service work. Here in the NE I make about 42k. Is it true out there that most clerical jobs would only pay about $20k or so?
Any info. on availability of jobs, pay ranges, and if you need to be bilingual is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 03:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,197,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecities View Post
Hi,

I'm considering a move to Tucson but am concerned about finding employment. Also, is it true most jobs want you to speak English and Spanish? I'm 52 years old. I don't have a college degree and do clerical accounting/customer service work. Here in the NE I make about 42k. Is it true out there that most clerical jobs would only pay about $20k or so?
Any info. on availability of jobs, pay ranges, and if you need to be bilingual is appreciated.
About Spanish, you can read this thread: Work and the Spanish language

About the rest... it varies. Heck, when I saw that data entry people at Raytheon make $29/h, I was willing to part with my nails if I could stand the atmosphere there... You might wanna look into it, provided you're willing to account for every 10 minutes of your time.

Pay ranges and other general info can be found online.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:37 PM

422 posts, read 1,272,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
About Spanish, you can read this thread: Work and the Spanish language

About the rest... it varies. Heck, when I saw that data entry people at Raytheon make $29/h, I was willing to part with my nails if I could stand the atmosphere there... You might wanna look into it, provided you're willing to account for every 10 minutes of your time.

Pay ranges and other general info can be found online.
Just curious, could you explain about the atmosphere and accounting for every 10 minutes at Raytheon? I found a job at a different company but I did apply at Raytheon, although they never called me back. Just wondering if that was a good thing. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Just curious, could you explain about the atmosphere and accounting for every 10 minutes at Raytheon? I found a job at a different company but I did apply at Raytheon, although they never called me back. Just wondering if that was a good thing. Thanks.
Well, Raytheon pays well, but you have to account for every minute of your time supposedly because it's billed to different projects. While it may very well be true and it probably is, I'm not looking forward to any more control. There's more than enough of it as it is. Besides, locked doors, badges, etc. don't appeal to me even if we put aside the nature of the business (which obviously goes along with these things).

Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM

529 posts, read 2,395,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
... Heck, when I saw that data entry people at Raytheon make $29/h, I was willing to part with my nails if I could stand the atmosphere there...
$29/hour for data entry?! Sheesh!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
$29/hour for data entry?! Sheesh!
I saw that a few years ago, too! It was some table on their website (this was the lowest wage obviously), but I could no longer find it next time I was looking for it...

Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,148 times
I worked at Raytheon about 5 or 6 years ago and they paid way under scale.

was recently talking to them again but would cost me about a $7.00 an hour cut to go to work out there.

Can only speak for my field not everyone Else's.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdesertrhino View Post
I worked at Raytheon about 5 or 6 years ago and they paid way under scale.

was recently talking to them again but would cost me about a $7.00 an hour cut to go to work out there.

Can only speak for my field not everyone Else's.
I'm not intimately familiar with Raytheon by any means. Just shared what I saw on their own website...

Old 12-08-2007, 07:06 PM

192 posts, read 264,253 times
The OP is correct; 10 an hour is all you will make in Tucson. It's doable, but go in with low expectations about employment.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:21 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,903 times
The cost of living is a bit lower here, and from what I've seen the pay is hardly any different than many areas outside of the Boston/New York metro area. Knowing Spanish isn't necessary, but it does help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: