U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:55 AM

27 posts, read 167,232 times

Advertisements

Hi Ivy,
We just relocated from Plainedge Long Island in July and we love it here. Moved for the same reason, tired of paying Nassau County taxes....were up in Oro Valley in the Amphi school district, Marana school district isnt that bad, we ad a toss up Marana or Amphi and in the end chose Amphi. My son started Copper Creek elem 2 weeks ago and is adjusting great.
We also drove as we had 2 dogs with us......we did 80 west all the way to Colorado then started heading south. AAA sent us that way because of the dogs and temperature, a bit cooler to the north.
Email me if you need the info on exact route after 80....(we stopped in Sandusky Ohio and went to Cedar Point Park for the day on the way)
Also we stayed at some pretty decent pet friendly hotels along the way...no urine smell..and I put belly bands on the boys just to make sure they didnt try to mark the hotel.
Dont forget to bring some Drakes cakes with you......there are no Devil Dogs in Arizona.....(just got my care package)
Good Luck
Debra
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 07:25 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,344,130 times
Just make sure you stay in the North/Northwest section. The south side is where all the crime is.
I lived in Tucson for 7 months, never had a problem but we lived northwest of town.

Good luck.

Oh and Copper Creek is a beautiful section of Oro Valley.

Quote:
I'm not from Tucson or Arizona, but I have been there, and I have been to New York including Long Island as well. I think that you'll find the crime rate in Tucson is higher, and the people weren't too friendly either. I haven't met any friendly people at all in AZ, while I met a lot of friendlier people in NY.
LOL! I thought everybody in Tucson was VERY FRIENDLY!
What is that old joke about the guy asking what people in the new town are like.........turns out they're exactly like the people in his old town.......that type of thing. I met lots of people in Tucson (I work with the public) and I enjoyed it.....met several folks who'd moved there from England and they all liked the area. Tucson is a VERY friendly town and there are hardly any natives....most of the people there moved from somewhere else.
Most of the folks there I met were from either Pennsylvania or Indiana!

Have fun, you will love it.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 20,002 times
Its true that people are not that friendly. Ive never been to NY but i know a couple of people from there and they are very very friendly. NY'er have gotten a bad wrap i think.
Mountain View which is upscale has a reputation and history of drug use though and it has been in the news. Sabino as well. Research this!
However if your husband will be commuting, the tucson airport is NEVER busy.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,155 times
I'm ex-NYC also ex-Santa Clara CA. I love the weather here because you can live every day of the year, not just in the spring/summer like in NYC. I don't think the schools are going to be a major issue, because you get out what you put in no matter how the school rates. U of A has very high ratings in some of the departments. Hope you have a great time!

Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 PM

12 posts, read 35,018 times
I lived in Arizona in the NW section for 6 months back in 2004 and 2005 and I loved it.
I made friends very quickly out in Tucson. There are many organizations for people to join. I found folks are friendly because so many people come from all over, that they don't live near friends or family.
I lived in Georgia for almost a year back in the early 90's and that was awful. If you weren't southern, you were not accepted.
My kids are grown so school was not an issue, though jobs and housing was. It took longer than anticipated for me to find a job, ( 3 1/2 months ) but fortunately, I had the funds to tide me over.
I would avoid south and central Tucson. The best areas are NW, NE.
I would also consider Oro Valley, Marana, Vail and Sahuarita.
I loved the weather, the beauty, the shopping and the number of 24 hour Vet clinics for people with pets ( a rarity where I live).
I'm back in the NE part of the US due to family obligations and I miss AZ everyday. Sure, Tucson isn't perfect, no place is but I'd rather be there than be here.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 10,516 times
Am moving from NYC in the next few months. Spent lots of time as a kid in Tucson, Douglas, Phoenix and Flag. Tucson is best by far in my book for climate and general opportunities. Having said that, I HATE snow/cold, so Flag, while beautiful, isn't an option for me.

I have 2 kids in their Junior year of high school, and am looking in the Foothills and Marana areas. How does Catalina Foothills HS compare to those in Marana? Or Sabino HS? They've only got one year left, so in my mind it's not AS critical as if they were younger.

Lastly, my eldest is already out there in a condo and we're trying to figure out the phone company/DSL and cable providers. The zipcode is 85730. Anyone have any suggestions? (Land) phone service (local & LD) seem VERY expensive compared to NYC. I pay $32/month unlimited. Looking more like $68+/month in Tucson. Can this be?

Thanks! And am looking forward to the warmth and sunsets...

Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 PM

27 posts, read 167,232 times
Land) phone service (local & LD) seem VERY expensive compared to NYC. I pay $32/month unlimited. Looking more like $68+/month in Tucson. Can this be?

oh yes, it shocked me too. I couldn't believe how much more expensive it was for the unlimited phone package here in Tucson vs. New York.
Even the cable is more expensive here, but you do get all the On Demand channels, where you had to pay additional for each one there.....and plus the outrageous fees they have for instillation..19.99 per box...

Old 12-15-2006, 09:45 PM

218 posts, read 1,417,715 times
As a public school educator in the northwest Tucson area, and a parent of school-aged (high school) kids,
I sort of know the school systems here from both sides. Yes, the Marana School District is highly regarded,
and the three schools your home is zoned for are fine.

My best advice is to be as involved in the schools as you can - active in PTA or PTO (whichever your kids schools have).
Also try to stay informed on educational issues on the ballots. Get registered to vote at the local post office,
and vote regularly (usually in May ea. year there is SOMETHING we have to vote about). Welcome to the Tucson Basin.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:20 PM

218 posts, read 1,417,715 times
Lightbulb Drugs in the schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLightwaver View Post
Its true that people are not that friendly. Ive never been to NY but i know a couple of people from there and they are very very friendly. NY'er have gotten a bad wrap i think.
Mountain View which is upscale has a reputation and history of drug use though and it has been in the news. Sabino as well. Research this!
However if your husband will be commuting, the tucson airport is NEVER busy.
Yes, drugs are in all the high schools, even Salpointe (private upscale Catholic school).
Students caught are suspended for a minimum of a year - at their first offense - and criminally prosecuted through all schools.
Most, if not all, high schools in Pima County, in addition to their own security staff, have at least two city police officers on campus full time
and on diligent patrol throughout the school day. However, it is as easy for students to stay away from the drugs and dangers it causes,
as it is to find it (if they purposely go looking for trouble). As an educator in Pima County public high schools, I do not feel threatened
nor do I find the majority of students fearful or pushed into drugs. It is there and it is a problem that is dealt with continually, as it is all across America.

Staying positive, informed, and involved - knowing your kids friends, and instilling healthy values in them all along the way
DOES result in high schoolers making good choices - I see it every day. There are a lot of great young adults on our high school campuses. Really there are.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 PM

5 posts, read 10,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrtnsMom View Post
oh yes, it shocked me too. I couldn't believe how much more expensive it was for the unlimited phone package here in Tucson vs. New York.
Even the cable is more expensive here, but you do get all the On Demand channels, where you had to pay additional for each one there.....and plus the outrageous fees they have for instillation..19.99 per box...

Thanks for the confirmation of this odd disparity! I was just stunned. Cable where I am in NYC isn't TOooo bad... about $85/mo for 2 boxes and we do have the On Demand services (free), just very few. I actually only found out about having those this past week. Ha! Of course, my kids knew all along...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson