U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 47,200 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Looking for some newcomers advice. I just bought a house in North Ranch of Marana Tucson Arizona (Im not sure what to call it LOL ) Schools for my kids are Ironwood elem., Torttolita middle, and MountainView High. Any one know anything about the schools? We are relocating from Long Island NY, fed up with the people ,real estate taxes over $12,000. weather and crime.

My husband is an CPA and Attorney and he is going to be comutting back and forth for work. Can't give up that NY salary !!

Any words of advice or wisdom?

Also, I have to drive out there because the airlines will not take my dog
( Boxer) and I have no idea how to get out there the best route possible,

PLEASE HELP a NYC Paramedic
Thank You
Ivy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 03:14 PM

273 posts, read 1,590,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMedicMom
Hello all,

Looking for some newcomers advice. I just bought a house in North Ranch of Marana Tucson Arizona (Im not sure what to call it LOL ) Schools for my kids are Ironwood elem., Torttolita middle, and MountainView High. Any one know anything about the schools? We are relocating from Long Island NY, fed up with the people ,real estate taxes over $12,000. weather and crime.

My husband is an CPA and Attorney and he is going to be comutting back and forth for work. Can't give up that NY salary !!

Any words of advice or wisdom?

Also, I have to drive out there because the airlines will not take my dog
( Boxer) and I have no idea how to get out there the best route possible,

PLEASE HELP a NYC Paramedic
Thank You
Ivy
Have you tried mapquest.com? That's quite a commute your husband will be making - and I complain about 13 miles. Must be one heck of a salary.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 47,200 times
hehehehe

Husband is comutting 1-2x a month via plane LOL Im driving there for relocationg

Old 08-11-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
hehehehe

Husband is comutting 1-2x a month via plane LOL Im driving there for relocationg
LOL! Well I didn't think he'd be driving! Even flying it's one heck of a commute for work. Suppose it's not so bad if it's only once or twice a month though....not that I would want to do it. I hate to fly. Did you check out mapquest.com for your trip route? BTW, my family has had a couple of Boxers. They were fun dogs. One of them used to like to plow the snow with a 4x4 (lumber). What a sight!

Old 08-11-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Schools

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the schools but you might find these websites helpful:

[url=http://www.ade.az.gov/edd/NewDetails.asp?EntityID=5780&RefTypeID=1153[URL]

[url=http://www.greatschools.net[URL]

Old 08-13-2006, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,692 times
hi, we live in the Dove Mountain area of Marana just a few miles from your new location, been here 3 years (from so. cal.) and love it, Mountainview highschool is the best school in the Tucson area

Old 08-15-2006, 10:31 PM

27 posts, read 162,178 times
I went to MVHS class of 91. I was the second graduating class so at the time the school was brand new. I had no problems there. It's a typical highschool. I was the only person to leave the Tucson area. I not sure about the previous post regarding best HS. CDO and Sahuaro are also good schools or at least were. All most all of my friends who stayed in Tucson either have there kids in a private school, Immaculant Heart or they live North or Oracle in the foothills, Very pricey to live. Most people who move there love it there and dont leave. MVHS and a fine school when I was there. The area you are moving to is very new and lots of things being built in that area.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:49 AM

57 posts, read 61,349 times
Quote:
We are relocating from Long Island NY, fed up with the people ,real estate taxes over $12,000. weather and crime.
I'm not from Tucson or Arizona, but I have been there, and I have been to New York including Long Island as well. I think that you'll find the crime rate in Tucson is higher, and the people weren't too friendly either. I haven't met any friendly people at all in AZ, while I met a lot of friendlier people in NY.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:14 PM

62 posts, read 254,974 times
Mountain View is a fine school in the area, not the best, but its a good school. Seems like your children are still rather young, I would look into Rincon/University High School (it is a magnet school so you wouldn't worry about school boundaries.) Its the best school in Tucson (yes better than privates too.) Since you are from new york, the school is often compared to Stuyvesant, Bronx Science and Brooklyn Tech in NYC, and Syosset and Manhasset on long island.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 117,990 times
I am driving when I move also.... with two cats who will hate me by the time we get to AZ! I've invested in a GPS and find it's very valuable. I've checked it in my area and it's accurate - not 100% and it's got a mind of its own, but a good 99.9% guestimate. If you get one, check it out at home first to determine how valuable it is for you and to familiarize yourself with the operation and quirks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson