U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,676 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Tucson from Ohio in late July. We are looking for opinions on good neighborhoods (by that, I mean generally safer and able to use roads other than I-10 to get where we need).

We are thinking of the Foothills area or general north. Interested in either a rental home or apartment. We've seen some good deals on places in Star Valley, which is southwest.

Can anyone offer opinions on good areas to settle? North, southwest, east, etc. --and by that I also mean places to avoid.

My husband will be working near the airport and I'll be at the university, but regardless we aren't worried about distance or traffic really.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 04:03 PM

56 posts, read 256,122 times
You should consider commute time and traffic. It sucks in Tucson.

With that said, I'm very familiar with the foothills area. It's nice and expensive rental for apt communities. Many converted to condos in the last year. The views are great. I would consider it safe.

Northwest and Oro Valley are nice too. Many apt communities are offering move-in deals right now. But then there is the commute factor to the U and the airport area.

Good Luck! Hope it cools off for you by late July when you get here.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,496 times
I really agree with the NW part of Tucson. Oro Valley is very nice. We just moved back to Ky from there. Anything in the nw would be good. I have to also agree with the commute factor. When I lived in Oro Valley, it took between 35-45 minutes to get to Speedway/Alvernon on surface streets. It's really not that bad of a drive though. Good luck on your move.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:04 PM

683 posts, read 2,511,584 times
Look at rental homes and guest houses in the Blenman-Elm and Sam Hughes neighborhoods. Here's a link to off campus housing for the University of Arizona. You need to act quick though. School starts next month and rentals are going fast right now.

Off Campus Housing Online - Advertising

Both of these are very nice historical neighborhoods. You won't find a better area around the campus and it will be convenient for all your needs.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:30 AM

216 posts, read 786,102 times
My daughter is a 2nd yr graduate student at U of A. She has lived this past year in the foothills. Its a beautiful area and she didnt' care about the commute. She said "mom, it's all about the beauty of the area".

Guess what, after a school year of commuting to the U, sometimes 45 minutes -- she's now moving closer to the university.

The airport is a long commute to the northern side of tucson. I know this because whenever I visit I'm amazed at how long it takes to get there; and that's always close to midnight when the traffic is non-existant.

That being said, she is living in a development called the Arboretum. They have 1 & 2br rentals. I think the prices there are inexpensive, but I live in NYC area, where a similar apartment to what she has would cost 2-3 times the price, without the magnificent mountain views!

There are other rentals up there, but most have gone condo, and some are downright seedy.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 AM

32 posts, read 119,136 times
Foothills are beautiful but expensive. Look to the Southeast. 1 mile south of the I 10 is a new development. Inexpensive homes. Commute to UOA 20 minutes via non congested part of the I-1 and up Kino Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: