Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,123 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My husband has a job offer from Raytheon and we're weighing the pros and cons of moving to the Tucson area. We've heard good things about Vail. My biggest concerns are our daughters. We have a 5 and 4 year old.

I've been fortunate to have a mother-in-law to watch them at home during the day. Our 5-yr-old is finishing pre-k. We're lucky in that her pre-k was all day, in school, free program. I know this is NOT the norm. Kindergarten in GA is also all day.

From what I've read so far, the elementary schools in Vail have pre-k, but it's not all day. Same with Kindergarten. Is this correct? What do working moms do with their kids for the rest of the day? Do the schools have before/after care available? Does anyone have any daycare recommendations?

Also, what do kids do during the hot summer months. Our girls love to play outside and we try to encourage that so they don't become couch potatoes.

Any help/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks,
A Stressed Mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,475 times
We moved from GA to Vail 4 years ago and we love it. School in Vail is year-round, so they really don't sit around all day during the summer. School starts in mid-July and we get a Fall break which is nice because the weather is much nicer. PreK is not free unless your child is special needs. There are 2 sessions - morning 745-1045 and afternoon is 1130-230. I believe kindergarten is the same. There are alot of women around that do in-home childcare, so you can have the bus drop them off at the home daycare as long as it's in the Vail boundaries. The schools do have before and after care. It's not offered for preK, but I think it's offered for kindergarten.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,375 times
The before and after care are offered for kindergarten. Having it at the school is nice, the teachers (or an aide) walk them over and since it is all at the same location there are no transportation issues. The kids get to meet and play with other kids at the school they might not otherwise interact with so they start to build a bigger friend base. This can make going into a new classroom the next year easier because odds are they will know a few kids from aftercare as well as from the previous year's classroom.

My daughter has been in it for three years now and we wouldn't do it any other way.

One quick word for the OP, Vail is a school district as well as a town South-east of Tucson. Other areas including Corona de Tucson and Rita Ranch are part of the Vail school district. There are a handful of threads here that talk the about benefits of each of these areas and I recommend tracking them down to get some more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson