U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM

9 posts, read 45,309 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to AZ for a job in Oro Valley. We're trying to decide between living in Oro Valley vs. Catalina Foothills. We're an active, professional couple with a 1 year old. We value a sense of community, walkable neighborhoods, the Arts, good restaurants, and proximity to parks. We live in a Sam Hughes type of neighborhood (except nicer) now in the Midwest, but we're shying away from Sam Hughes for Tucson due to long commute to work, poor schools, and perceived safety issues. Any advice on whether OV or the Foothills would be a better choice? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 AM

68 posts, read 196,567 times
I am also a Realtor and both areas are great. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Good luck with the move!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,587,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyboy16 View Post
We're relocating to AZ for a job in Oro Valley. We're trying to decide between living in Oro Valley vs. Catalina Foothills. We're an active, professional couple with a 1 year old. We value a sense of community, walkable neighborhoods, the Arts, good restaurants, and proximity to parks. We live in a Sam Hughes type of neighborhood (except nicer) now in the Midwest, but we're shying away from Sam Hughes for Tucson due to long commute to work, poor schools, and perceived safety issues. Any advice on whether OV or the Foothills would be a better choice? Thanks!
As mentioned by the others both areas are very nice, schools considered by parents to be very good and get very good ratings from outside sources. I am sure you would enjoy either area but they do have a different "feel" to them. That gets down to personal preference. The biggest difference is price of homes. The Foothills is the priciest area of the Tucson area followed by Oro Valley then NE Tucson. If you look at the last six months average price for single family homes sold in The Foothills is 183.00 square foot. In Oro valley it is 135.00 square foot. So in Oro Valley you will geet quite a bit more house for the money and homes will tend to be newer.

I remember your previous post and I believe you were looking to go to Ventana/Roche. Are you going to be the first of the wave of the 500 new jobs just announced last week? Commuting from Foothills area to Ventana could be everything from ok to horrendous, depending on where you lived in the Foothills. Obviously if you live in OV the commute is quick and easy as it is centrally located in OV. I have several neighbors that work there. With the job announcement last week I created an "E-Relo" section on my Oro Valley webpage. Web links to all the OV schools, utilities companies, local info etc. All the info you need to help make a move a bit easier. Good luck, you are coming at a great time of year to enjoy our "winter" weather.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:34 PM

26 posts, read 91,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyboy16 View Post
Hi! You seem to be in a similar situation as us; we are a professional couple as well with a toddler & a newborn re-locating to AZ from the Midwest. Like you, I've been trying to get a read on where to live in Tucson. So far, my search has pretty led to me OV, Vail, and even Rancho Sahuarita. I'm waiting until my husband moves there and has some time to explore the area(s) first before we commit to one location. Good luck! If you'd like to compare notes, send me a PM. Maybe we can help one another out

Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNDO View Post
Hi! You seem to be in a similar situation as us; we are a professional couple as well with a toddler & a newborn re-locating to AZ from the Midwest. Like you, I've been trying to get a read on where to live in Tucson. So far, my search has pretty led to me OV, Vail, and even Rancho Sahuarita. I'm waiting until my husband moves there and has some time to explore the area(s) first before we commit to one location. Good luck! If you'd like to compare notes, send me a PM. Maybe we can help one another out
Three totally different areas, where you are working would probably be a big factor in where you choose. Oro Valley is NW of the metro Tucson area, Vail is SE and Rancho Sahuarita is not contiguous to Tucson sits south of south Tucson. Cross town commutes is something to be avoided.

Rancho Sahuarita is one the the areas hardest hit by the housing downturn. Of the 164 homes sold in the last six months, 61% have been short sales or foreclsoures, which also means you can get great prices, average price of homes sold was 81.00 square foot. It was designed around family living with water park etc. Home were mostly built in the heyday of the housing boom, lots tend to be quite small, some as small as .08 acre.

Vail, a nice quiet area to the southeast. Of the 182 homes sales, 46% have been short sale or foreclosure, average per sq ft. 103.00. People in the area seem to be very happy with the schools. Major complaint from the people that live there is proximity to shopping. Many of the plans for development of retail stores has been put on hold for awhile.

Oro Valley, a long haul from Vail! Of the 283 sales in the last six months 25% have been short sales or foreclosures. Average price 135.00 sq ft. It sits on the west side of the Catalina Mountains, so many areas with great views. Oro Valley residents all seem pretty happy with their schools. Lots of shopping and restuarants.

To check on schools here are a couple of links,
School Report Cards Arizona Department of Education & Great Schools.org

Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 PM

Great info Rick, thanks!
I definitely knew the three areas mentioned were very far apart, but we are in no rush to buy when we move. My husband will re-locate first, which will allow him time to scout out the different areas - find out the skinny re: commute, neighborhood feel, proximity the amenities we like, etc. I just meant that from what I can tell in speaking with people who know the area, those three places are of particular interest to *us.* Who knows what we'll find when he (we) do get out there??! Greatschools is a great website and I've used tarmls quite a bit as well

Last edited by BNDO; 10-19-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 AM

To the OP:
I was searching for "things to do" with children in Tucson and came across this - thought you might be interested as I am!
http://www.kids520.com/

Old 10-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Annnnnnnnnnd, yet another "things to do" website for people with kids I just found:

Activities and fun things to do with your preschoolers and kids in tucson, AZ -- The Savvy Source

(Rick~ You should bookmark this one too )

Old 10-23-2010, 01:17 PM

Will do

Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 45,309 times
Thanks for everyone's helpful replies! We're excited to explore the area more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson