U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,598,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Excellent point, Sierra.

In spite of being a bike rider, on many occasions while driving I am amazed and downright shocked at the stupidity and arrogance of other bike riders. Obviously they are in a "lose lose" position when attacking a car or, even worse, a commercial truck.

Maybe that's why I stick to the bike trails rather than the busy thoroughfares.
Very true, there is no shortage of the "jerk gene/stupid gene" in any part of life!

I am not a cyclist either, and one of my "annoyances" out here in Oro Valley is we have bike lanes,5-6 feet wide, yet many ride right on the line next to the traffic instead of the middle of the bike lane. Maybe a cyclist can tell me why, but it seems to be very common. Ia m talking about a single cyclist, not a pack. So as a motorist I still need to move over to give them their "3 ft". Cyclist, why can't you ride in the middle of the bike lane, why ride on the line? I am truly curious.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 11-02-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM

5,479 posts, read 11,579,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Very true, there is no shortage of the "jerk gene/stupid gene" in any part of life!

I am not a cyclist either, and one of my "annoyances" out here in Oro Valley is we have bike lanes,5-6 feet wide, yet many ride right on the line next to the traffic instead of the middle of the bike lane. Maybe a cyclist can tell me why, but it seems to be very common. Ia m talking about a single cyclist, not a pack. So as a motorist I still need to move over to give them their "3 ft". Cyclist, why can't you ride in the middle of the bike lane, why ride on the line? I am truly curious.
Is there on street parking next to the bike lane? Is the bike lane street cleaned or is it full of glass, rocks, pebbles and other debris that is hard to notice from inside a car? In my area the bike lanes have lots of debris, so to avoid flats we have to straddle the white shoulder line or even ride a little bit in the traffic lane. The bike lanes in the city are next to parked cars and you need to keep left and out of the door danger zone. I have also read it is safer to take up more of the traffic lane (when no bike lanes available) and make the car behind you pass instead of squeezing by and possibly forcing you off the road due to mis-judging the space. AND there are the bicylists who are unaware, inexperienced or inconsiderate. Just be patient with us, your auto weighs a lot more than we do.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 AM

42,835 posts, read 85,009,590 times
Quote:
I am not a cyclist either, and one of my "annoyances" out here in Oro Valley is we have bike lanes,5-6 feet wide, yet many ride right on the line next to the traffic instead of the middle of the bike lane. Maybe a cyclist can tell me why
For the same reason they ride on the road when there is a bike lane, or they ride on busy thoroughfares for no reason whatsoever (I can tell the difference between recreational biking and biking because you need to do it), or ride without using their hands, or ride basically lying down on the street, or ride like a vehicle and then cross the street as pedestrians, or you name it! To make it short, because they can! I guess playing Russian roulette may be fun for a while. I just don't want to be the one to kill them and end up in prison because of somebody's arrogance and stupidity.

Many years ago I was watching a young woman for some time and just knew she was going to be killed - it was just a matter of time. I only prayed I wouldn't be the one to kill her as this was happening on my daily morning commute. She was jogging while pushing a stroller with a baby and having headphones in her ears totally oblivious to the world. All of this was done on a narrow road, with no shoulder, and deep dips. The world should protect her, you know?! Well, only that some inhabitants of this world are just like her and she WAS killed, sure enough. The baby made it.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Is there on street parking next to the bike lane? Is the bike lane street cleaned or is it full of glass, rocks, pebbles and other debris that is hard to notice from inside a car? In my area the bike lanes have lots of debris, so to avoid flats we have to straddle the white shoulder line or even ride a little bit in the traffic lane. The bike lanes in the city are next to parked cars and you need to keep left and out of the door danger zone. I have also read it is safer to take up more of the traffic lane (when no bike lanes available) and make the car behind you pass instead of squeezing by and possibly forcing you off the road due to mis-judging the space. AND there are the bicylists who are unaware, inexperienced or inconsiderate. Just be patient with us, your auto weighs a lot more than we do.
I am talking on roads like Oracle/ La Canada, Tangerine, Rancho Vistoso etc. in Oro Valley. Nice bike lanes, no street parking, so is the road really that much cleaner on that little 4 inch wide white stripe than say 1 to 2 feet over? As I said, it is something I have always been curious about. And yes the inexperienced/casual ones are a BIG problem. I see this quite often on Tangerine in the area where it is a two lane road, no center lane, no bike lane, and they are riding without a helmet, cars and trucks travelling 50 mph. Need some of Obama's money to finish Tangerine from Oracle to I-10 with bike lanes, make life safer for everyone!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 11,579,445 times
Quote:
I am talking on roads like Oracle/ La Canada, Tangerine, Rancho Vistoso etc. in Oro Valley. Nice bike lanes, no street parking, so is the road really that much cleaner on that little 4 inch wide white stripe than say 1 to 2 feet over? As I said, it is something I have always been curious about. And yes the inexperienced/casual ones are a BIG problem. I see this quite often on Tangerine in the area where it is a two lane road, no center lane, no bike lane, and they are riding without a helmet, cars and trucks travelling 50 mph. Need some of Obama's money to finish Tangerine from Oracle to I-10 with bike lanes, make life safer for everyone!
That is a head scratcher. Road debris is only logical explanation, but even then, if they sense a car behind they should move over and use the bike lane and let the car(s) pass. Do you see many "roadies" and club riders? Where do they like to ride?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Need some of Obama's money to finish Tangerine from Oracle to I-10 with bike lanes, make life safer for everyone!
Or invest it in some gray matter implants.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
they sense a car behind they should move over and use the bike lane and let the car(s) pass
No, they expect YOU to move over, whether there's room for it or not!

I'm sooooo sick and tired of this bike "friendliness"! It runs a close second to the "astronomer" friendliness.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:36 PM

[quote=cubssoxfan;16498205]That is a head scratcher. Road debris is only logical explanation, but even then, if they sense a car behind they should move over and use the bike lane and let the car(s) pass. Do you see many "roadies" and club riders? Where do they like to ride?[/quote]

Yes I see quite a few of them right now all over Oro Valley and west on Tangerine Rd.. El Tour training. The ride from Oro Valley to Oracle seems to be real popular on weekends too. You have about a 2000 ft change in elevation from Oro Valley to Oracle, nice scenic ride. I understand the teams in training etc, riding in packs, make sense. It's the lone rider, riding the white line next to 55 mph traffic on Oracle, and there is a 6 ft bike lane to their right. That I don't understand.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM

138 posts, read 364,091 times
Quote:
This is very true. Often bike lanes are filled with pebbles, glass, garbage, etc. and it's more dangerous to ride in the bike lane than with the cars. I haven't noticed if Tucson is this way or not since I've only ridden in limited areas.

I'm a firm believer that bikes should act and be treated as vehicles. They should be aware of their surroundings and other vehicles that are approaching. They should use lights (especially in the evening/night) and mirrors for their own safety. They should use bike lanes when safe and appropriate, and signal to cars when it's safe to pass. They should also let their intentions be known if they are turning, and take up the lane when required (here in Sedona we have many roundabouts and it's not safe to pass a bike in them. Some cars try to anyway if there is room).

I also think that cars should treat them as vehicles, but with the knowledge that they don't all follow the rules of the road. It's unfortunate, but true - and foolish to act like it's not. It's actually the same for other cars, motorcycles, etc. but bicycles get more of a 'pass' when they break the rules for whatever reason. With this in mind, drivers should realize that bicyclists may do something contrary to what other vehicles may do and use a little caution around them. Don't be afraid to use your brakes if required (how much of an inconvenience is it, really? 2 or 3 seconds out of your day?). If a vehicle is coming the other direction on a 2-lane road and you can't give the legally-mandated 3 feet, just slow down for a few seconds. Many bikers will realize you are there and scoot over and give you a 'pass' signal - I know I do, with a friendly wave as you go by. I've noticed the recreational riders tend to be more helpful to drivers than people who are riding because they seem 'forced' to (e.g. they don't have a car or drivers license). Kids also tend to be more rude because, well, they're kids.

In the end it comes down to being a minor inconvenience for the driver to slow down, or possibly taking the life of someone (someone's wife, husband, son, daughter, etc.) which could end up ruining the drivers life too (jail time, litigation, loss of job, loss of money, etc.).

Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 PM

138 posts, read 364,091 times
Quote:
Quote:
That is a head scratcher. Road debris is only logical explanation, but even then, if they sense a car behind they should move over and use the bike lane and let the car(s) pass. Do you see many "roadies" and club riders? Where do they like to ride?
Yes I see quite a few of them right now all over Oro Valley and west on Tangerine Rd.. El Tour training. The ride from Oro Valley to Oracle seems to be real popular on weekends too. You have about a 2000 ft change in elevation from Oro Valley to Oracle, nice scenic ride. I understand the teams in training etc, riding in packs, make sense. It's the lone rider, riding the white line next to 55 mph traffic on Oracle, and there is a 6 ft bike lane to their right. That I don't understand.
I'm training for the Tour right now

I wouldn't be too excited about riding on Oracle with that traffic either. For whatever reason, some roadies think they're too cool for mirrors on their bikes and don't realize that the traffic is coming up on them.

The white lines tend to be much smoother to ride on, which is why many people ride on them. Smoother ride = faster ride. I ride them when I can and if there is no one coming up behind me. When I see someone coming up, I'll scoot over into the lane as long as it's safe (no glass, large gravel piles, etc.). The ones nearest the traffic have the least garbage on them. If they know traffic is coming, they ought to move over though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson