Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM

12 posts, read 22,532 times

Advertisements

I'm with the people that say Tucson is what you make of it. I've known people who are unhappy no matter where they are. (Case in point, a college roommate who lived in Manhattan, Miami Beach and Naples Italy, and complained about living in all 3 places.)

I've also known people that seem to be happy and content wherever they happen to be. (Another friend of mine was just as happy in Tucson as he was in some po-dunk Canadian town).

If you want to be happy, you can be happy in Tucson. And visa-versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:06 PM

339 posts, read 832,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmouseaz View Post
I'm with the people that say Tucson is what you make of it. I've known people who are unhappy no matter where they are. (Case in point, a college roommate who lived in Manhattan, Miami Beach and Naples Italy, and complained about living in all 3 places.)

I've also known people that seem to be happy and content wherever they happen to be. (Another friend of mine was just as happy in Tucson as he was in some po-dunk Canadian town).

If you want to be happy, you can be happy in Tucson. And visa-versa.
That is so true! I'm the type who can be happy anywhere and make the best out of it no matter where I live. There's pros and cons to every place, it's all about the mindset.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,990 times
I moved to Tucson Christmas eve, 1996 & have loved it from day one. I live in Three Points---about 25 miles southwest of the Tucson city line & there is some crime here; mainly from local school drop-outs & unemployed druggies in their 20's (I guess they could be called "punks"). But this is a local phenomenon & not that much a problem & not reflective of the City of Tucson---especially NOT in the Catalina Foothills. In defense of Three Points-in spite of the trouble makers (in the absolute minority) the majority of the folks who live in this community are among the nicest people I have ever known anywhere anytime! And these people are most definitely in the majority here in Three Points!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 10:57 AM

18 posts, read 31,541 times
I keep seeing the foothills pop up in this thread, is that a subdivision or little city or what? I have been reading thread after thread about tucson and phoenix trying to find the best place for my family and me. Are these foothills governed by an HOA? I'm getting so overwhelmed reading about the various cities that might fit our needs and am trying to narrow it down before we come out there for a visit. I have 2 kids under 2 and dont want to waste the short time we will have there on places that arent family friendly. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know! We are coming from TX, so we are used to the heat and cannot WAIT to get out of this humidity. Are there any nice, safer cities on the outskirts? (sorry, not trying to hijack the thread here)

Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM

55 posts, read 216,029 times
Hi,
Our family took a leap of faith and moved here 2 months ago. We could live anywhere (my husband works from home) and chose here. We spent 5 years doing MAJOR research and decided on Tucson. We live in the Foothills and love the beauty. The most difficult thing for us to overcome is the lack of grass. So far, we do like it...however, I am a native of Oklahoma and through my personal experience thus far, we have found people not quite as friendly here. Some are and some are not-like everywhere I suppose. We enrolled our 4-year-old in Lamb's Gate (in the foothills) and the jury is still out...so to speak. I had only heard positive things about their program, but again, our teachers in Oklahoma were much more friendly.
It is sooooooooo nice to be away from the humidity! If I can answer any more of your questions, please let me know...all the best to you and your family.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLambert View Post
Hi,
Our family took a leap of faith and moved here 2 months ago. We could live anywhere (my husband works from home) and chose here. We spent 5 years doing MAJOR research and decided on Tucson. We live in the Foothills and love the beauty. The most difficult thing for us to overcome is the lack of grass. So far, we do like it...however, I am a native of Oklahoma and through my personal experience thus far, we have found people not quite as friendly here. Some are and some are not-like everywhere I suppose. We enrolled our 4-year-old in Lamb's Gate (in the foothills) and the jury is still out...so to speak. I had only heard positive things about their program, but again, our teachers in Oklahoma were much more friendly.
It is sooooooooo nice to be away from the humidity! If I can answer any more of your questions, please let me know...all the best to you and your family.
I was wondering if you guys ever made it down there! Glad you are liking it - what kind of area is the foothills? is it one of those cookie cutter community types? Is it expensive? Home prices are so low nowadays and we want to get something nice before they go up again but its been really hard nailing down the areas we might like (as im sure you well know lol). What is lambs gate?? My son still has a couple years before we have to worry about school, but the district is so awful here (beaumont, tx) that i was planning to homeschool him anyways. my husband is a medically retired vet and for now im a stay at home mom....do you think the foothills area is good for homebodies? we are in our late 20s (sigh...), dont party anymore and are just looking for a quiet place to raise our little knuckleheads

Old 09-02-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymatty26 View Post
I was wondering if you guys ever made it down there! Glad you are liking it - what kind of area is the foothills? is it one of those cookie cutter community types? Is it expensive? Home prices are so low nowadays and we want to get something nice before they go up again but its been really hard nailing down the areas we might like (as im sure you well know lol). What is lambs gate?? My son still has a couple years before we have to worry about school, but the district is so awful here (beaumont, tx) that i was planning to homeschool him anyways. my husband is a medically retired vet and for now im a stay at home mom....do you think the foothills area is good for homebodies? we are in our late 20s (sigh...), dont party anymore and are just looking for a quiet place to raise our little knuckleheads
The foothills is anything but cookie cutter but it is quite expensive. Most homes are on large lots with fabulous views. I heard Oro Valley is very nice, less expensive and maybe a tad bit more family oriented? We don't ever see our neighbors-we are on a couple of acres, so for some, might be too isolated. But, we love the privacy. Are you looking to lease or purchase? Lamb's gate is a private, Christian school down the street from us. Foothills district 16 is TOP notch. I believe Oro Valley is great too.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The foothills is anything but cookie cutter but it is quite expensive. Most homes are on large lots with fabulous views. I heard Oro Valley is very nice, less expensive and maybe a tad bit more family oriented? We don't ever see our neighbors-we are on a couple of acres, so for some, might be too isolated. But, we love the privacy. Are you looking to lease or purchase? Lamb's gate is a private, Christian school down the street from us. Foothills district 16 is TOP notch. I believe Oro Valley is great too.
hmm havent checked out oro valley yet but i will...we would like to buy although i know we should rent first lol...just dont wanna waste all that rent money for no equity. we would LOVE a couple acres, but are willing to settle for a regular-size lot if it is close enough to the mountains/outdoor rec areas. have you noticed any racial tension there? it is so bad here between blacks and whites (we are white) and we would really like to get away from that. i know there is some overall in the state of course, but how bad is it around your area?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymatty26 View Post
hmm havent checked out oro valley yet but i will...we would like to buy although i know we should rent first lol...just dont wanna waste all that rent money for no equity. we would LOVE a couple acres, but are willing to settle for a regular-size lot if it is close enough to the mountains/outdoor rec areas. have you noticed any racial tension there? it is so bad here between blacks and whites (we are white) and we would really like to get away from that. i know there is some overall in the state of course, but how bad is it around your area?
I have absolutely not noticed any tension of any kind. You might also consider Tanque Verde area. I personally think it is very quaint and you can get more for your $$$. Might want to google "Catalina Foothills"...can give you much more info.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I have absolutely not noticed any tension of any kind. You might also consider Tanque Verde area. I personally think it is very quaint and you can get more for your $$$. Might want to google "Catalina Foothills"...can give you much more info.
thank you so much, i will definitely look into that as well. house hunting....blah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson