U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:11 PM

113 posts, read 268,709 times

Advertisements

I am considering homes in several communities by these two builders. If I opt for new construction, it seems from what I've seen on the web, Robeson offers more models and options than does Del Webb. I will be going out there in August and I'll hopefully be able to eliminate retirement communities from my list after seeing them in person. Has anyone noticed this difference between the two builders?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,015 times
We recently looked at several established and building 55+ developments in the Phoenix/Tucson area. We decided on Quail Creek for the great views, nice lots, and value for the $$. We looked at Sun City West, Sun City Grand, Sun City Festival, Canta Mia, Victory at Verrado and stayed 3 days each at Robson Ranch, Eloy, AZ and Quail Creek. The Green Valley area near Quail Creek has all the grocery stores, medical facilities, etc. that we would need and is only a 20 minute drive to the Tucson area and airport.

As an FYI, those who are looking at the Saddlebrooke developments by Robson should do an internet search of Page Trowbridge dump....this information turned us off to the SB developments.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 9,346 times
Default Del Webb or Robson?

Hubby and I are in our second Del Webb home and are going to visit Saddlebrooke and their Ranch this summer. I think these people in charge in the Sun Cities lie awake at nite, thinking up more stupid rules.

We're looking for a lot that might have a mtn. view but I'm confused b/c it looks, in one photo, like SB has the views and the Ranch is on flat desert. Then the next photo shows mtn. views in the Ranch. Maybe someone could enlighten me?

I've also emailed, and talked to, two of the Reps for Robson but my emails don't go thru b/c, apparently, Robson doesn't recognize Suddenlink, which is what I have for an email carrier.

Maybe someone could answer: patio fireplaces - allow wood or gas? Floor plugs in Great Rooms? Are the kitchen cabs 36" high or 48" high? Does everyone in the community help pay for the golfing, whether or not they golf?

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:47 PM

68 posts, read 106,099 times
Default About Saddlebrooke

The views are best from Saddlebrooke, with backyards facing east. You may end up not being able to use your backyard in the summer months because the sun scorches from the west. In general, address with odd numbers have backyards facing east and south. Most of the time, theirvare exceptions. SBR is in the middle of nowhere, with distant inferior mountain views. Windy. But, if you want a brand new home, SBR has the selection you might want.

I have never seen a home in SB with floor plugs. They are built in concrete slabs. The kitchen cabs - 48".

The hoa dues in both hoa's of SB and SBR maintain all covered amenities, including the golf courses. If you want to play golf, you pay daily green fees. If you want to play a lot of golf, you can get a discount plan, or an annual membership. You can't pay lower hoa's because you don't care about golf. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would buy a house here if they did not play golf or tennis. But, there are people who don't play, and seem to like it here. I would die of boredom. The "City" is pretty far, if you enjoy Tucson, it becomes an issue to go there for restaurants and such. Many people "stay on campus" for weeks on end. Going to Walmart and the grocery store a big event.

I have seen wood and gas patio fireplaces here. A very pretty thing to have in your yard. Also pools and spas. Shade is your friend. Lots of extended patios.

The page dump has nothing to do with SB. It is near SBR.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:11 PM

98 posts, read 101,873 times
We're going back to Tucson this month (June) to see how hot hot is. On this trip we will also look at The Greater Phoenix area. We've never gotten as good a feel from Phoenix as Tucson as it's just so much larger. I'm curious of the communities mentioned above in the Phoenix area which do you feel are the more appealing visually. Mountain views, Saugaros, Palo Verdes. The scenery is very appealing in Tucson but not so much in Phoenix. Are there areas I should focus on if this is important to us? Additionally, most of the Active Adult in Phoenix seems to be West of the city (the various Sun City communities). We're only able to find a couple of places East out in Rio Verde & Fountain Hills and nothing up by Cave Creek and the North. Any leads in those areas would help. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2017, 08:16 PM

18 posts, read 25,382 times
We have made the decision to build in SBR, after a long and deliberate process. Simply put, there is no perfect location. All have pluses and minuses, and you have to decide what is important to you. To give some thoughts on recent points above:

1) Shea has a couple of communities in the Phoenix area, which have some attractive features and nice home designs. To us, the Phoenix area was just too large, too hot and too congested for what we wanted on a full time basis. But had we chosen PHX, it likely would have been a Shea community. (Not Robson at Pebble Creek - too congested and too loud)

2) We chose SBR over SB for a number of reasons, including being able to get a new-build that we liked with a lot we liked. As for the views, we have a lot lookiing out on state land, with mountains in the distance (south exposure). To us, the panorama was "better" than the "up close" at SB. Also, in SB you almost always have some degree of the back of other houses along with those mountain views. We didn't mind "the wind" - perhaps we have lived with breezes in other places we've lived. And the "further out" of SBR really isn't as great a difference, as you have to drive a chunk to get into SB from Arizona 77. The differential once you are on your way to Oro or Tucson isn't that much more overall.

3) Yes, floor outlets are available in SBR for new-builds, but they aren't cheap - I think over $500 each. And you need to specify the exact location during the design phase before your house gets into the queue. Wasn't worth it to us, nor did we know exactly where we'd want it without figuring out all the furniture layout in advance.

4) The HOA at SBR does NOT own or maintain the golf course. That is owned by Robson. At SB 1 and 2, the HOA's own the courses and pay for all upkeep. I suspect that Robson will continue to own the golf course as a sales tool for at least the next 15 years, given the build rate at SBR and the build-out goal. At that point, I'll likely have other bigger worries than my HOA dues jumping.

5) Page dump. We figure that at our age, something else will kill us before that might. Also, if it was THAT big a deal, do you think it wouldn't be on the front page of the newspapers. Where are the Sierra Club protesters, and other environmentalists?

6) Kitchen cabinets for newbuilds at SBR are 36 inches, with 42 being the available option at extra cost.

7) Quail Creek was appealing, but lost out to SBR for several reasons. Not that QC was bad, just SBR was better. For us.

Hope that helps some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson