Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 11,869 times

Advertisements

I am a young guy in my mid 20's looking to move out of a small town in Southwest Montana, The town has about 8000 people and is a one horse/pump town pretty much, the weather also sucks with long cold winters, I was looking at Tuscon for almost no winter and some more sunny days. I am hoping Tucson has a good choice of unskilled retail/sales ect jobs. I am looking at mobile homes under 25k, for my housing.

I have not heard any really negatives about Tucson on this form, besides the crime, how bad is the crime? What types of crimes are most common, I have to say that the minor property crimes do and don't bother me, I am most worried about the more major stuff, gang members standing around on the streets with guns, drive by shootings rape murder random assault robbery ect.

It Tucson someplace that offers a overall safe place to live with affordable housing with low cost mobile homes and a place to start off with a low skill job with something better down the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 AM

40 posts, read 95,764 times
Hi there, we just moved here a few months ago and used this interactive web site from the Tucson police department to see what the crime rate was in our area: TPD Crime Stats

Hope that helps!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
I think you'll be OK.....

don't get involved in drug deals, don't hang out with losers, don't pick fights, be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors, don't be flashy, use common sense and chances are very good you'll be fine.....but you were doing all this already, right???!!!!....(and gang members don't stand on corners with guns here!)

can't help with the mobile home search....there are lots of MH parks here, but make sure your neighbors aren't jerks, have barking dogs, deal drugs, argue, have noisy cars, the usual....

if you're looking to get to a warmer climate, there are many choices all across the country....do you have any friends or relatives who live somewhere desirable to you?...as with many places nowadays, job search can be tricky here and Arizona is suffering more than Montana for available jobs per person ....don't commit to a place w/o knowing a job will be around.....

Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
You'll be ok, IBM5150.

Just use basic common sense and avoid the drug dealers and gangs plus the gangbanger crowd.

As far as a $25k Mobile Home . . . not much help here, however, as with any city and/or town, avoid the rough neighborhoods and remember you get what you pay for.

WELCOME and Good Luck.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Take a look at azrepo.net. They list several used manufactured homes in the price range you are looking for. Some of the homes will have to be moved so you need to factor in that cost - plus (in THOSE cases) find a mobile home lot to place them on so it's not a real straightforward process but it's certainly worth looking into at least (especially considering your very small budget). Other homes listed there are already on lots.

Ken

Old 12-03-2010, 09:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Everyone's commenting on your housing situation and ignoring one key sentence, "I am hoping Tucson has a good choice of unskilled retail/sales ect jobs." The one-word answer to that would be "no." Sorry to disappoint, but the job situation here is terrible.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm5150pc View Post
I was looking at Tuscon for almost no winter and some more sunny days.
Tucson definitely doesn't have a real winter, and it is sunny most of the year. But it's also very, very hot for about 4-5 months. That being said, the natural beauty around Tucson is amazing. The Mountains rising up out of the desert create "ski islands" that support multiple ecosystems and offer a reprieve from the summer heat. The monsoons are amazing and the desert really is beautiful in its own right.

Quote:
I am hoping Tucson has a good choice of unskilled retail/sales ect jobs.
Nope. There are call centers. Lot's an lot's of call centers. $12.00/hr and someone telling you when can go to the bathroom. Tucson is really poor city overall. Most jobs there don't pay well, unskilled or otherwise. It's basically become the Detroit of the West and there are many economic indicators that say it is only going to get worse.

Quote:
I am looking at mobile homes under 25k, for my housing.
Then you are probably looking at living on the South side of town or in the central ghetto. You can't buy a home, mobile or otherwise, in a safe neighborhood for $25k. If you feel absolutely compelled to move to Tucson, then plan on renting.

Quote:
I have not heard any really negatives about Tucson on this form, besides the crime, how bad is the crime?
Pretty bad compared to cities of similar size. That's mostly because everyone is so poor though.

Quote:
I am most worried about the more major stuff, gang members standing around on the streets with guns, drive by shootings rape murder random assault robbery ect.
I don't think you will see many gang members standing around with guns on the street corner, but at least one of the things you mentioned happens almost everyday. Here is a nice article that discusses 2010 being a record breaking year for murders.

Tucson 2010 murder rate already higher than last year’s full total: Will more cops keep us safe? - Rynski's Blogski (http://tucsoncitizen.com/rynski/2010/09/08/tucson-2010-murder-rate-already-higher-than-last-years-full-total-will-more-cops-keep-us-safe/ - broken link)

Tucson's police department is inept. They do a terrible job overall. Which is why Tucson has some of the worst property crime rates in the US. For awhile, Tucson led the nation for car thefts. Etc, etc...

Quote:
It Tucson someplace that offers a overall safe place to live with affordable housing with low cost mobile homes and a place to start off with a low skill job with something better down the road?
No. Seriously man, if you are looking to get a fresh start on life and try something new, there are a lot of great cities to choose from. Tucson just isn't one of them, particularly if you care about your economic future. Take a look at mid-size cities in California, Colorado, Texas, even Utah. There are a lot of choices. Some of them very good. Tucson is rapidly becoming the Detroit of the West. Stay away unless you want to get sucked into the same kind of poverty and hopelessness that consumes so many of the people that live there.

Good luck.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:30 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Tucson is rapidly becoming the Detroit of the West. Stay away unless you want to get sucked into the same kind of poverty and hopelessness that consumes so many of the people that live there.

Good luck.
what a dreary bunch of BS.....as some other posters make apparent, I think there are more issues for Spot to tackle than just how Tucson has treated him/her...."Detroit of the West"?...c'mon, did you just make that up as I've never heard that comparison before....

admittedly, Tucson is not a wealthy town and there are few high-paying jobs, but "sucked into...hopelessness"?....

Old 12-04-2010, 01:16 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Impressive post, Spot . . .

OFF THE WALL and OFF THE CHARTS but impressive nonetheless.

Call Centers are not for everyone. I worked in one for years and never once had someone tell me if and/or when to go potty. Starting pay was just adequate but increases were frequent for any conscientious individual willing to work.

As for other mid-sized cities . . . no one is claiming Tucson is perfect, however, it is head and shoulders above any city in California. Have you checked their unemployment and/or cost of living lately? As for Colorado, Texas and even Utah . . . none of those states offer the near perfect weather as Southern Arizona.

As for the Tucson Police Department . . . considering budget cuts and hiring freezes plus increased crime very common in every city, town and state in this country, they do a great job.

Bottom line . . . an unhappy person will be unhappy no matter where they live. Tucson is not perfect, however, it is head and shoulders above number two for anyone with a positive attitude.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:03 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
what a dreary bunch of BS.....as some other posters make apparent, I think there are more issues for Spot to tackle than just how Tucson has treated him/her...."Detroit of the West"?...c'mon, did you just make that up as I've never heard that comparison before....

admittedly, Tucson is not a wealthy town and there are few high-paying jobs, but "sucked into...hopelessness"?....
I didn't coin the term the "Detroit of the West." It's been said several times about Tucson in several different publications. Here is one for example.

Tucson Choices » Blog Archive » Great Opinion By Chris Clements – Two Tucsons, Which One Do We Want?

Tucson was great for me friend. I spent many years at the UofA in college and grad school and had a great time. I also left the day after I graduated, as did the VAST majority of my class. You see, there are almost no decent jobs and I understand that some people manage to carve out a living in the place, but it's not easy. Most people I know who still live there are pretty poor relative to their professional peers in other cities.

The city is home to a great university, yet it does almost nothing to retain its graduates. Amazing really. And the fact that so many people come onto this forum and defend it, as though nothing is wrong, is still surprising to me. But to each their own.

Nevertheless, the poster is asking whether or not there are good paying, low-skilled jobs available and whether or not he can buy a mobile home for under $25k. Both of which simply aren't reality in Tucson. He should hear the truth. The town is poor, there aren't many decent jobs and if he decides to move there he should plan on renting for awhile. That's reality.

At the same time, the natural beauty surrounding Tucson is unparalleled and if he is into the outdoors, he will find that part of living there very enjoyable. He should hear that too.

Like I said, I had a great time there. Loved living near the UofA campus, had a lot of fun hiking/climbing in the nearby mountains and would recommend the UofA to anyone who asks. But to consider Tucson as a place to start a career, build an economic future, raise children, etc... Absolutely no freaking way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson