Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 AM

29 posts, read 126,758 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

What are some easy ways to keep the heat out during the summer? We moved here just a few months ago. There are a couple of windows in our home that got direct sunshine in the summer, and it completely heated up that part of the home. Tinting is too much trouble, so I was thinking something like the reflective sunshades that we use in the cars. Is there something like that for home windows? Where can I find them?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 PM

476 posts, read 1,677,075 times
You have to have good windows for starters, we have some super aged windows & the heat AND the cold permeate them. We will gradually replace most of them with UV rated windows as our budget permits.

The real difference will be made if you can keep the light & heat OFF the windows to begin with. Shade trees planted strategically, overhangs (pergolas, arbors) or awnings are good as the more you can keep off the windows from the outside the better.

Inside, same story, the more screening the better. If you want to keep the heat out you'll need to block the windows, shutters are probably the best. DIY products have become so user friendly and tinting is not that hard. We did it on a couple of windows, but it is not all that effective unless you use a nearly opaque tint.

If your windows are exposed and you want to keep them uncovered you need to block the sun from the outside. If you don't mind covering the windows then total screening is in order. You can't really have it both ways.

Here is an article titled "Living with the sun"... practical tips:
www.arizonasolarenergy.org/LivingWithTheSun-AZ-SolarTour-2010.doc

Not worrying about the heat today though, are we? SNOW, what the heck?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM

Hi Brooks -

Thanks a lot for your advice. We will think more about them. Certainly not today On the other hand though I was hoping to see more snow on the ground - I bet the cacti would have looked very cute with snow on them.

Happy New Year to all

Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
My accordion shades (by Grabber) work really well. I also have tinting and it is worth it's weight in gold (well much more than it's weight ).

Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Have you considered plants, Oasiss?

I planted Oleanders along my West facing wall and the reduction of both heat and noise is amazing.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Have you considered plants, Oasiss?

I planted Oleanders along my West facing wall and the reduction of both heat and noise is amazing.
I second the Oleanders for heat and noise reduction, and they look darn pretty most the year with the assorted colors of blooms you can get them in. On my west facing windows I installed shade screens on the outside of the window. As Brooks mentioned, keeping the sun off of the window is the key. I think most the Ace hardware stores can make you a screen if you take them your measurements.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:44 AM

Thank you all for the tips about the accordion shades, plants and shade screens. I do like plants, but unfortunately don't have a green thumb... in fact I have a tendency to forget them and let them dry out, and that makes me feel terrible.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:57 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiss View Post
Thank you all for the tips about the accordion shades, plants and shade screens. I do like plants, but unfortunately don't have a green thumb... in fact I have a tendency to forget them and let them dry out, and that makes me feel terrible.
Don't be too sure, Oasiss . . .

It takes a real Plant Monster to kill Oleanders. They are more determined to live and grow than common weeds and after a few months getting established, require very little to no attention.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM

42 posts, read 86,770 times
This is tonguu in cheek, but the only way to get through the summer in Tucson without enduring massive heat is to leave and go somewhere else. It's just hot here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson