Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,597 times

Advertisements

Tonight I found a stunned Anna's hummingbird on the ground, it is still alive. I put him in a shoe box with some tissue papers. Does anybody know of any rehabilitation center where I can take him toworrow? I live in the Foothills by Sabino Canyon. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Tucson Wildlife Center: (520) 290-WILD (9453) plus there are a couple of other rehab places. Google Wildlife Rehabilitators, Tucson, AZ.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,597 times
Marcy thank you for the fast response, I found several centers. I checked on him last night several times and he was still alive, this morning he was gone. I hope it is because he flew away on his own. We moved to Tucson about 10 months ago and love this city, before that I did a lot of research and I was reading this forum almost every night, you guys helped with the decision to moved and we don't regret it. Thanks

Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbet139 View Post
Tonight I found a stunned Anna's hummingbird on the ground, it is still alive. I put him in a shoe box with some tissue papers. Does anybody know of any rehabilitation center where I can take him toworrow? I live in the Foothills by Sabino Canyon. Thanks for your help.
What a fantastic gesture, Barbet.

There's a Hummingbird Feeder right outside my window here and I witness on a daily basis how incredible these little creatures are. I am always amazed at their "navigational skills" and how they manage to avoid mid-air collisions while they are flying like mini-maniacs.

THANK YOU . . . your act of kindness will not go unrewarded.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 PM

Bummer--when we lived in CO, the Broadtailed hummers would show up in April, then the Rufous in June. The Rufous were so territorial and MEAN!! They would dive bomb the Broadtailed at the feeders. Sometimes, there'd be 10 - 20 hummers at our feeder at once and it was noisy (the male Broadtailed wings make a loud whirring/whistling sound) and frantic with the hummingbird wars! Right now, I have Broadbilled and Anna's, but no competition and no wars...

Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Bummer--when we lived in CO, the Broadtailed hummers would show up in April, then the Rufous in June. The Rufous were so territorial and MEAN!! They would dive bomb the Broadtailed at the feeders. Sometimes, there'd be 10 - 20 hummers at our feeder at once and it was noisy (the male Broadtailed wings make a loud whirring/whistling sound) and frantic with the hummingbird wars! Right now, I have Broadbilled and Anna's, but no competition and no wars...
Thankfully, Marcy, only two or three at a time here so only a few mini-conflicts a day . . . no wars.

My feeder has only been hanging for a couple years and I have no clue "who" frequents it but isn't it amazing how such tiny critters can be so aggressive and pushy?

By the way . . . have you contacted Jenny or Nathan yet?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Thankfully, Marcy, only two or three at a time here so only a few mini-conflicts a day . . . no wars.

My feeder has only been hanging for a couple years and I have no clue "who" frequents it but isn't it amazing how such tiny critters can be so aggressive and pushy?

By the way . . . have you contacted Jenny or Nathan yet?
The hummingbird wars are really fun to watch. No one gets hurt, they just fight over the feeder with the Rufous chasing off the Broadtailed. I'll bet you're getting Anna's and Broadbilled. Maybe a Miracle--I had one today. (Don't I wish! Unfortunately, that's the name of the hummer species) They're the common ones here. Broadtailed males have a pinkish bill and a jeweled throat. All the girl hummers, no matter the species, look alike. Hard to tell them apart.

I love hummingbirds. When we go to the Desert Museum, that's the first place I go--the Hummingbird House. They are amazing creatures! Their wings are constantly in motion, they're aggressive, yet so tiny. It's also amazing to consider some species make the migration from places like S. Canada and N. United States down to Central America every year and back.

I'm meeting a friend for lunch near the Tucson Mall on Tuesday, and I thought I'd just stop by Dent Busters and let Jenny or Nathan give me a quote then. I can't wait to tell them that some guy from City Data named Bummer told me to ask for them.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
I'm up in Phoenix. I have two hummingbird feeders. One in a tree and one on my patio. The skinny hummers are fighting some bigger ones who seem to have flown in for the winter. Ah, REAL snowbirds! The Anna's seem to have won on the patio, the big guys won the tree.

A couple of Anna's built a tiny nest on a wire between my two fans. I was about to cover the wires after a remodel, but, too late. They claimed it. I was privileged to watch for a month and a half as the female laid eggs and sat on the nest. When she flew off, I got on a ladder and took a quick picture. The eggs were the size of coffee beans. The two babies finally got so big she couldn't sit on them, so she would sit on the wire and feed them. Then one day the oldest flew off. The other baby just wouldn't leave. I have a picture of the mom poking the 2nd baby with her beak to get him out of the nest. He was acting just like one of my teenagers. NO! Poke poke poke. NO! Then one day he was gone.

But the coolest thing was the day after the babies left. I was standing at my kitchen sink looking out the window - thinking about how I missed the little family. The mom came flying back to her nest, hovered over it for a second, then flew to the window - inches from me. We were just separated by the glass. She hovered there for a full minute. I swear we made eye contact. It felt like she was thanking me. At least that's what I prefer to believe. I've kept the nest up. Hoping she comes back for the spring babies. I measured the nest last week - 2" wide, 1.5 in high. I tapped on it. It's like concrete on the outside. Amazing how nature just knows what to do. And we think we humans are so smart...

Old 01-10-2011, 11:51 PM

That's so neat, Cowgirl! Glad you got lots of pics! Hummers tend to return to where they first nested, so you many be in for many generations to come!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: