Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times

Advertisements

We tend to want to use these tragic acts to further our own political ideology. I think it may be the time to shelve those ideas and pray for the victims and their families. I can't stop thinking about the little 9 year old and how her parents must feel. A nut is a nut is a nut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 PM

255 posts, read 610,291 times
For someone who shot this woman is nothing more than a coward! All she is doing is her job and now in my opinion would have everyone who is in public service on arms in terms of not stepping on the wrong toes of "some people" putting it mildly. I hope the suspects get all the time they deserve as well as to serve someone else's time as well.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Please let's not start calling everybody who's not blind a schizophrenic!
And, once again, let's keep the conspiracy theories out of the discussion at this point.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I know someone will use this event to criticize Arizona in usual City-Data fashion but I would hope we could focus on Gifford's health and family instead. It is unfortunate that uneducated and uninformed individuals would use this event to fuel their own anti-Arizona agenda. Maybe we should not generalize and consider that one individual's actions does not represent the views of the entire state. After all Giffords was re-elected to office by the people of Arizona only 3 months ago. If conspiracy theorists want to accuse Arizona of being some backward right-wing state, they will have a difficult time explaining how the state re-elected a Democrat in Giffords to office therefore I would leave it alone considering your argument has little weight.
I feel no need to unnecessarily disparage an entire state upon the basis of one lunatic's behavior. I may not find myself in confluence with some of the policies espoused by the powers that be in Arizona, but it's illogical to extrapolate from that and deign it behavior indicative of millions. Besides, I am from Texas, it's the LAST thing I would do. But I think emotions will run very high for a while and people will be tempted to simplify and claim that this ideology or that ideology was at fault. That does nothing for anyone. It certainly does nothing for the families of all of those affected. That being said, the sheriff's statement about the climate erupting of late was startling to hear. He essentially laid down a very specific, biting indictment of a climate of intolerance, vitriol, and malleability in Arizona which appears to have led this man to behave so violently. I think, sadly, there is something to this insofar as it should serve as a warning for all of us to abide by the deeper, truer, better angels of our nature. We can disagree and we will disagree, but the taking of a life is not something which should be done without the consideration that civil society requires us to engage and discuss as moral and intelligent human beings, and it demands that we refrain from resorting to senseless violence. An opposition party can always be removed from office. If not this election, then perhaps thereafter; but a life cannot be given back. That mad man is not Arizona. I don't think anyone with a brain worth its brain cells believes that.

Last edited by Nomadic9460678748; 01-08-2011 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 PM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
On the other hand, I don't know if this is better... After such a wound you probably end up being a vegetable...
It really depends. Many people assume that head shots (especially from point blank range) are instantly fatal. They aren't. In fact, victims of these wounds can not only survive... they can thrive. Point blank shots can actually be better for the victim as the bullet could pass clear through the other side. Many fatal head shots are caused not by the bullet entering the head, but by the bullet bouncing off of other areas of the skull inside the head and causing secondary damage.

My father was a neurosurgeon and my brother took a bullet to the brain at point blank range (hunting accident last fall). The bullet entered and exited without causing much damage. He not only recovered, but you could never tell that he had been shot (even the scar is completely covered by his hair). There are no cognitive problems nor are there motor skill problems. He can't drink much because there is concern that alcohol thinned blood could cause seizures, but it's a minor fear at this point.

I have no idea what the situation is with Rep. Giffords. There's so much that goes into it. If the bullet passed straight through, that's good, but stray bone fragments can be dangerous. There's always the risk that bleeding in the brain can increase in the hours (days) after the injury and make matters worse. As the brain heals, it swells which can be dangerous (deadly even).

The next 48 hours are going to be huge. She'll be closely monitored for swelling and excessive bleeding. Surgery is a dangerous option because of the trauma it causes (it can increase swelling and bleeding). Her surgery today may have been just to remove stray bone fragments from around the wound(s). I doubt they did anything drastic.

In the weeks and months after such an injury, the development of scar tissue can trigger seizures so it's yet another concern. We're all praying for her, but it will be days (weeks) before we get an idea of if/how well she'll recover.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
I feel no need to unnecessarily disparage an entire state upon the basis of one lunatic's behavior. I may not find myself in confluence with some of the policies espoused by the powers that be in Arizona, but it's illogical to extrapolate from that and deign it behavior indicative of millions. Besides, I am from Texas, it's the LAST thing I would do. But I think emotions will run very high for a while and people will be tempted to simplify and claim that this ideology or that ideology was at fault. That does nothing for anyone. It certainly does nothing for the families of all of those affected. That being said, the sheriff's statement about the climate erupting of late was startling to hear. He essentially laid down a very specific, biting indictment of a climate of intolerance, vitriol, and malleability in Arizona which appears to have led this man to behave so violently. I think, sadly, there is something to this insofar as it should serve as a warning for all of us to abide by the deeper, truer, better angels of our nature. We can disagree and we will disagree, but the taking of a life is not something which should be done without the consideration that civil society requires us to engage and discuss as moral and intelligent human beings, and it demands that we refrain from to senseless violence. An opposition party can always be removed from office. If not this election, then perhaps thereafter; but a life cannot be given back. That mad man is not Arizona. I don't think anyone with a brain worth its brain cells believes that.
I agree. This is an emotional event and it's difficult for some to maintain objectivity at the moment which I suppose is understandable. Keep in mind, the Sheriff has emitted similar sentiments when SB 1070 first arose as well prior to this shooting. And did Arizona resort to a race war or anarchy? Of course not, entertainers eventually started coming back to Arizona to perform once the hype wore off. Likewise, this is going to be a powder keg for discussions regarding the state and things will become status quo once again in two months.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 PM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree. This is an emotional event and it's difficult for some to maintain objectivity at the moment which I suppose is understandable.
I agree. But I see this a bit differently than the other issue you refer to.

This is not only an emotional event (the recent legislation was emotional too), it's a tragedy. This is big news all over. I have yet to hear a disparaging remark about Arizona even here in this liberal mecca. Most people know this is a mad man (or two, according to news reports) and not a state.

Events such as this one can be unifying. It's puts the politics of things into perspective. People get caught up in it (especially in the past year) and something like this can open eyes and ease tension. At least that's what I hope.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous," the sheriff said. "And unfortunately, Arizona I think has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."

I love Arizona to death but stuff like this is so sad.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
As this shooting did not represent the views of the entire state neither did her election. The state did not elect her - her Tucson district did. She would have lost had Maricopa county been involved. Stop deluding yourself. It is not the state it was 20 years ago. Or even 10 for that matter. It is getting scary around here.
Her District is on the border, unlike Maricopa or Pinal Counties. She knew darn well that her opponent was having fundraisers where they shot at targets of her during the election. Yes Arizona has changed.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Her District is on the border, unlike Maricopa or Pinal Counties. She knew darn well that her opponent was having fundraisers where they shot at targets of her during the election. Yes Arizona has changed.
Please post a link for this info, please. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson