Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,259,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
It would appear that Loughner's actions were politically motivated, so it is up to our representatives (political and civic, elected and appointed) to do something to change the perception Americans have that unbalanced Arizonan's solve their problems by carrying guns that are readily available, killing people, and making our streets unsafe for the average citizen.
I guess it's apparent to you, but it doesn't look like the majority agree with you. CBS just released a poll that said 57% doesn't think the shooting was "politically motivated.
US poll: rhetoric not to blame for Giffords shooting

Quote:
They already think we have gangs running loose beheading citizens and leaving them in the desert; rampant bigotry, intolerance for anyone of color or who speaks a foreign language, terrible schools and illiterate citizens. Most people lump all of Arizona in these categories, but truth be told, it's really Tucson and southern Arizona they're afraid of.

We need tourism and industry here in southern Arizona, and our economy can't take the beating that it's getting. If other parts of America continue to think our state is a horrible, bigoted, unsafe place to be, they will stay away, and that's not good for our economy.

For that reason, having Sheriff Dupnik say what he did will go a long way to appease many Americans and maybe convince them to visit our state. When they hear him, they think there's hope for Arizona. Divisiveness is not good for us, so I think anything that can turn the tide of America vs. Arizona will be a good thing, and if it's Sheriff Dupnik, and America likes his message, that can be good for Arizona in the long run.
Odd way to look at the situation - I thought that having one of your Congressional Representatives calling for a "boycott" on Arizona was pretty strange also. On the other hand - these people keep getting re-elected, so I guess that says a lot. Dissing Arizona must be a popular position with the residents.

Your sheriff goes on National TV and announces that Arizona is "the mecca for bigotry" and you think this will help with America's perception of Arizona AND make them want to visit?????

Doubtful. I can't imagine that the "Sheriff's message" is going to convince many to visit what he calls "the mecca of prejudice and bigotry".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM

126 posts, read 231,433 times
The Sheriff needs to retire and keep his opinions to himself when on national tv or when he is representing our community. Freedom of speech I understand but have some respect for all the people of Tucson. It is annoying to see this in the light of what happened here but not something that I wouldn't expect from him.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 AM

898 posts, read 827,432 times
Let me guess, those of you defending this idiot sheriff are of the same leftwing persuasion as he is. His comments were stupid, inappropriate, and just plain incorrect. He spoke as a leftwing dem politician, not as a law enforcement officer. The absolute height of irresponsibility and fanning the flames of partisan rhetoric.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 12,920 times
Isn't Sheriff Dupnik doing the same thing he accuses others of doing (in reverse) with his words? And that's accepted why?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I could not disagree more with this statement. For the life of me, I simply do NOT understand how anyone can read/watch news coverage of this nut job and seriously believe he was politically motivated.

He's CRAZY. He was banned from the local community college for being disruptive, ordered not to return without psychiatric clearance. He'd been stalking Rep. Giffords since 2007 when he asked her an incoherent crazy person question (something along the lines of "If words don't mean anything, how do you govern?"), and he didn't like her answer. That's neither left nor right. That's just schizophrenic. His thinking is disorganized and pathological. Nothing political whatsoever about this whack job. He had a creepy altar on the patio that included a fake human skull. He had copies of both Mein Kampf and the Communist Manifesto in his room. Nazis and communism - opposite ends of the political spectrum.
I would also have to add this thought, how do we know it wasn't a religious thing? Think about it, she's Jewish and he's touting Mein Kampf and the Communist Manifesto so why couldn't it have been an anti-semetic thing?

Answer: It could have been but we DON'T know and probably never will know why 'cause the dudes a LOON!

If y'all will notice the talking heads on BOTH sides are avoiding this subject as far as I've heard/read. IMO this is because it doesn't fit the "make the other side look like bad people" garbage game.

The bottom line in this is we need to remove ALL politics from this event, it serves nobody and I feel it uses a terrible event in a reprehensible way.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM

898 posts, read 827,432 times
In the politics forum, the truth about this criminal is starting to come out. There is a relationship between Dupnick and the shooter's mother.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I guess it's apparent to you, but it doesn't look like the majority agree with you. CBS just released a poll that said 57% doesn't think the shooting was "politically motivated.
US poll: rhetoric not to blame for Giffords shooting
I'd just like to note that poll is far from convincing. 673 people polled? That is an extremely small amount for any national poll. Although that's common for CBS.

I'd honestly like to a see a much larger poll group and a separate one for Tucson. I bet the national poll results would pretty close to what CBS found but the Tucson poll would be dramatically different.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokegama1973 View Post
Isn't Sheriff Dupnik doing the same thing he accuses others of doing (in reverse) with his words? And that's accepted why?
Because that's not what he said at all (although people twist his words to justify their arguments). He called for less violence & rhetoric, then the right wing talking heads attacked him so he defended his position again.

Maybe people need to read what he said again:
"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous. And unfortunately, Arizona I think has become sort of the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."

What about that statement is incorrect? It's 100% correct. Unstable people can respond violently to aggressive rhetoric, even if the message is completely misunderstood. Notice he didn't mention any names but 'certain' notoriously angry individuals where the first to become defensive.

Also, Arizona HAS become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry. People are in denial if they think every "isn't that bad".

Now if you want to argue whether his statements timing where inappropriate or not, that's a matter of opinion. I didn't have a problem with it, obviously some did.

I don't really know when the appropriate time would be to bring up the topic but I'm glad someone did. Now we can ALL discuss it, as a nation. We can all look in the mirror and understand that our angry words & signs, etc. are not helping anything. No matter what side - Left, Right, or Center.

Also I would like to note that even if Loughner's motives turn out to be 100% non-political I'm still glad that as a nation it forced everyone to think about how they act, what they say, & how they treat each other.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
In the politics forum, the truth about this criminal is starting to come out. There is a relationship between Dupnick and the shooter's mother.

The "truth"? She allegedly worked, or works, for the Board of Supervisors. That's no indication of any "relationship".

Last edited by observer53; 01-11-2011 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,516 times
Interesting reactions on here. Most AZ denizens (but not all) seem to want to shoot the messenger.
No pun intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson