Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
BS much? You either didn't see the complete list of his favorite books, or you are cherry picking to make your case.
I saw his "complete list" of "favorite" books. When you list a dozen or so books, and two are communist books, it stands out.
His other "favorite" books were science-fiction, fiction, and the writings of Plato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I saw his "complete list" of "favorite" books. When you list a dozen or so books, and two are communist books, it stands out.
His other "favorite" books were science-fiction, fiction, and the writings of Plato.
He also listed We the Living, which was written by Ayn Rand, darling of today's libertarians like Rand Paul. She was about as far from a communist as one can get. He also listed Mein Kampf. Nazi beliefs are also far from Communist beliefs, even though today it seems as if not many Americans understand that. He also listed The Republic (the beginnings of democracy); Animal Farm, an allegory that spoke against Communism; and Brave New World, a satire about "negative utopia," which can also be construed as anti-Communist.

So what was your point?

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 01-12-2011 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Corrected punctuation

Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Sherrif Doofnik AKA " Sheriff Doofy" is just a pompous attention grabbing slob. he should focus on being professional and putting the facts first and not his own personal politically correct opinions.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
The shooter kid was politically far-left. His favorite books were The Communist Manifesto and a book by Adolf Hitler. He burned an American flag. He called the U.S. constitution, among other things, "treasonous". He didn't like our form of government. The kid would have been a perfect fit for the "Weather Underground" had he been born 30 years earlier.
That's where Sheriff Dupnik went wrong. He lashed out and blamed a group of people who had nothing to do with this. The kid's friends said he didn't watch Fox News or much T.V. at all. He didn't listen to talk radio. He never attended a Tea Party.
What did he do? He read books. He read radical, far-left books.
If the Sheriff was going to be outraged, why wasn't he outraged at that? Where was the lashing out of The Communist Manifesto?
Sheriff Dupnik should apologize, IMHO.
Since when does the type of book you read make you a mass killer? What does his choice of literature have to do with anything?

What should he have been reading? Romance novels?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Marcy1210, I'm in complete agreement with you and Sheriff Dupnik. I tried to rate you, but apparently I did before.

PS: Why do conservatives so often spell "losing" (as in losing one's mind) as "loosing"? The mind is not loose, it is lost (as in lose, which is what we are all doing as Tucson's reputation goes down the drain nationwide).
I have noticed that "lose" is one of the most commonly misspelled words in comment threads everywhere-spelled "loose". In addition to the usuals to and too, their, there and they're and your and you're. It's funny because they'll have big complicated words spelled correctly and then one of these errors will pop up.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
He could be recalled, could he not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yep.
Of course (left that one out), but that's a complicated process, it's not "firing".

I don't think it's going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
BS much? You either didn't see the complete list of his favorite books, or you are cherry picking to make your case.
Indeed. Along with the ones everyone loves to talk about, the list included the Wizard of Oz. Here's the whole list:

"Animal Farm," "Brave New World," "The Wizard of OZ," "Aesop's Fables," "The Odyssey," "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," "Fahrenheit 451," "Peter Pan," "To Kill A Mockingbird," "We The Living," "Phantom Toll Booth," "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," "Pulp," "Through The Looking Glass," "The Communist Manifesto," "Siddhartha," "The Old Man and the Sea," "Gulliver's Travels," "Mein Kampf," "The Republic" and "Meno."

Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 AM

346 posts, read 613,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Yes, go ahead and vilify Sheriff Dupnik. Meantime, gun sales in Tucson are soaring and the shops are running out of those $499 Glocks.

I don't understand people from Arizona.
...Maybe if more of our citizenry were armed they could have stopped this mad man before he killed anyone...so what part of the Constitiution dont you understand...or have you even bothered to read any of it?
The rest of you are groping for answers ...what one reads is not at the issue...its how one interprets what they read. No one can get inside this mad man's head...suffice to say he is one sick bastard.
I'm not familiar with this sheriff but it seems his comments are out of line and further contribute to the poor rhetoric that only divides us further. This should be a time of coming together and trying to work for the betterment of all. This divisive rhetoric is just that.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
He also listed Mein Kampf. Nazi beliefs are also far from Communist beliefs, even though today it seems as if not many Americans understand that.
I always cringe when people equate fascism with communism. Opposite ends of the political spectrum - both extreme.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM

38 posts, read 149,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Yes, go ahead and vilify Sheriff Dupnik. Meantime, gun sales in Tucson are soaring and the shops are running out of those $499 Glocks.

I don't understand people from Arizona.
Me neither - why are they just now buying them?
Better late than never I suppose..

Old 01-13-2011, 01:54 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Since when does the type of book you read make you a mass killer? What does his choice of literature have to do with anything?

What should he have been reading? Romance novels?

My point was that his supposed listening to Talk Radio, watching Fox News, support of Sarah Palin, and attendence of Tea Party rallies made him a killer in the media and to Sheriif Dupnik. Turns out, he did none of those things.
If you follow the reasoning of the news media and the sheriff, then the books he read does the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson