Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Are we certain he did not know anything about the shooter, Ritchie?

There are rumblings that Dupnik and Loughner's mother were friends. Possibly explains why Loughner was able to be arrested so many times while never being charged?

Was Dupnik actually trying to divert attention with his finger pointing out of fear of being accused of playing favorites?

I don't know where you are hearing such "rumblings"-- one "rumble" that she was his "supervisor" (nowhere close to true) has already been put to rest. I think such "rumblings" should stay out of discussion until and unless there are some FACTS. And, further discussion of them would be off topic for this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Are we certain he did not know anything about the shooter, Ritchie?

There are rumblings that Dupnik and Loughner's mother were friends. Possibly explains why Loughner was able to be arrested so many times while never being charged?

Was Dupnik actually trying to divert attention with his finger pointing out of fear of being accused of playing favorites?
You still (again) didn't answer my questions....

Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 AM

I think you asked Boompa the questions, not Bummer.

That said, if this thread has just wound down into a back and forth between two posters, it will be closed.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think you asked Boompa the questions, not Bummer.

That said, if this thread has just wound down into a back and forth between two posters, it will be closed.
Oops good catch! It's still early...

Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 AM

95 posts, read 307,284 times
I live in Hawaii and haven't been to Tucson since university in 1975.

I remember watching tv one night in '75 and one of my UA buddies said "can you believe this, it's still the wild west, the tv station is called KGUN". He said "KGUN" like "K" plus the word "gun".

Then, when the shooting story broke, I was watching Fox News (Unfair and Unbalanced) and I heard Shepard Smith catch himself when he said "now here's some coverage from our affiliate KGUN". He said "K-gun" and I could feel him pause and think "that sounded really bad, I should have spelled it out "K-G-U-N".

And that's, to me, part of the problem. Why would a tv station call itself that? It seems that the root of why they'd choose those call letters is because "guns are funny". What a stupid attitude.

I'm all for the right to have guns, but if I want a helicopter I can't just go buy one at Walmart. I need to take tests, get educated and prove I'm worthy of the responsibility. It's bonkers we don't do that with guns.

So in many ways, we as a society let this tragedy occur. We failed.

When I heard Dupnik's remarks I was surprised. I have no idea if AZ is the mecca for bigotry, but still he impressed me. He came off to me as a good man that loves AZ and thinks that the government has failed it's people.

It's very much the same here in Hawaii. Last night a guy got shot at a Safeway here. That's pretty disturbing. The Sherrif is right, it could happen again today anywhere.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dintymoore View Post

I remember watching tv one night in '75 and one of my UA buddies said "can you believe this, it's still the wild west, the tv station is called KGUN". He said "KGUN" like "K" plus the word "gun".

Then, when the shooting story broke, I was watching Fox News (Unfair and Unbalanced) and I heard Shepard Smith catch himself when he said "now here's some coverage from our affiliate KGUN". He said "K-gun" and I could feel him pause and think "that sounded really bad, I should have spelled it out "K-G-U-N".

And that's, to me, part of the problem. Why would a tv station call itself that? It seems that the root of why they'd choose those call letters is because "guns are funny". What a stupid attitude.

I'm all for the right to have guns, but if I want a helicopter I can't just go buy one at Walmart. I need to take tests, get educated and prove I'm worthy of the responsibility. It's bonkers we don't do that with guns.

When I heard Dupnik's remarks I was surprised. I have no idea if AZ is the mecca for bigotry, but still he impressed me. He came off to me as a good man that loves AZ and thinks that the government has failed it's people.

It's very much the same here in Hawaii. Last night a guy got shot at a Safeway here. That's pretty disturbing. The Sherrif is right, it could happen again today anywhere.
Well, Fox News is "unfair and unbalanced". So are all the others. I think CNN and MSNBC may be the worst.

KGUN has used that identifier since 1957. GUN may actually stand for something... I'm guessing something to do with the (then) owners name H. U. Garrett, but I could be wrong.

"Me" as "society" will not take the blame for one psycho's actions. What ever happened to personal responsibility? The shooter pulled the trigger on his own and is responsible. Blame him! We can look and see if something could have prevented the tragedy--hindsight is sometimes 20/20--but it's still the shooter's fault, no one "forced" him to do it... he chose to.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
KGUN?

Connecting the call letters of a TV station to this horrible tragedy is absolutely ridiculous and so far off course it is almost hilarious.

What's next, blaming KOLD (CBS Channel 13) for our next blast of cold air?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dintymoore View Post

Yeah, my feelings as well. When this happened and I was looking for info, I ended up on the KGUN website. I almost choked, when I saw those call letters at the top of the page. I'm pretty sure there are not many places other then AZ, where a TV station could use that ID without it having negative connotations. It's definitely a part of the culture down there.

And I do also sympathize that Sheriff too. He is in a very difficult situation. The only thing that surprised me, was that any public official in AZ would actually stand up and say what he did.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:55 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Well, Fox News is "unfair and unbalanced". So are all the others. I think CNN and MSNBC may be the worst.

KGUN has used that identifier since 1957. GUN may actually stand for something... I'm guessing something to do with the (then) owners name H. U. Garrett, but I could be wrong.
You are wrong. It stands for exactly what it says.

Quote:
KGUN

KGUN is the ABC-affiliated television station serving Tucson, Arizona. The station broadcasts on analog Channel 9 and digital Channel 35 from Mount Bigelow northeast of Tucson.

History

KGUN was founded by rancher D.W. Ingram in 1956. He named the station KDWI after his initials. Ingram quickly sold it to May Broadcasting of Shenandoah, Iowa which changed the callsign, noting the negative connotations of the initials DWI. The new calls, KGUN were chosen for a combination of May Broadcasting's owner being both a gun collector and his love of Westerns which often took place in the Tucson area.

KGUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"Me" as "society" will not take the blame for one psycho's actions. What ever happened to personal responsibility? The shooter pulled the trigger on his own and is responsible. Blame him! We can look and see if something could have prevented the tragedy--hindsight is sometimes 20/20--but it's still the shooter's fault, no one "forced" him to do it... he chose to.
What about voters, taking personal responsibility for the politicians they elect, and those politicians taking personal responsibility for they laws they make, that allowed the shooter to do what he did? After all the shooter is probably not even mentally component. The voters and politicians supposedly are.

Anyway who is responsible doesn't mean much to the people who are dead. Thats why we make laws to prevent deaths from happening. Example: drinking and driving.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 AM

Please keep this thread from straying off topic. The KGUN discussion really doesn't have anything to do with the sheriff's remarks.

Last edited by observer53; 01-20-2011 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson