Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: where is the night life in tucson,az
there is none 1 25.00%
go to phoenix 3 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,479 times

Advertisements

I am from a small town in Chattanooga, TN.. many have probably never even heard of it lol.. .. my best friend and i (who have never been on the planes or out for this state in our whole lives) are coming to visit my friend in tucson, az.. in february.. yes this month.. few weeks.. when we first started planning the trip i thought it was going to be a beach trip?!? until i start reading these posts.. i see COLD WEATHER, for one.. BAD food ( i don't eat foreign food @ all) and can be somewhat dangerous with all the homeless ppl.. oh and the nightlife is depressing.. i'm in my twenties... whats to do and?? shopping? night life? places to eat? best places to see??.. my friend (that we're coming to see) got proposed to in the grand canyon, and she herself it's not that great don't go.. and i was planning to take a helicopter over that.. but now i'm not.. OPINIONS please..especially from ppl that live there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 03:35 AM

5,225 posts, read 6,150,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren0217 View Post
I am from a small town in Chattanooga, TN.. many have probably never even heard of it lol.. .. my best friend and i (who have never been on the planes or out for this state in our whole lives) are coming to visit my friend in tucson, az.. in february.. yes this month.. few weeks.. when we first started planning the trip i thought it was going to be a beach trip?!? until i start reading these posts.. i see COLD WEATHER, for one.. BAD food ( i don't eat foreign food @ all) and can be somewhat dangerous with all the homeless ppl.. oh and the nightlife is depressing.. i'm in my twenties... whats to do and?? shopping? night life? places to eat? best places to see??.. my friend (that we're coming to see) got proposed to in the grand canyon, and she herself it's not that great don't go.. and i was planning to take a helicopter over that.. but now i'm not.. OPINIONS please..especially from ppl that live there!!
You don't think you would be amazed with the Grand Canyon?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:25 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,367 times
Based on this, I would say, yes, stay out of Arizona. Myrtle Beach or Panama City would likely be more to your liking, both culturally and scenically.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 AM

461 posts, read 861,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren0217 View Post
LOL! You sound very young...hence the apprehension of the forum members to give you some answers. Here are some based on my experiences.
Couple of things:

1) She wasn't impressed by the grand canyon?? It is one of the wonders of the world! Perhaps context will come with age and maturity? It is amazing! Instead of taking a helicopter, do the touristy thing and check out the view points. Then if you have an extra day, I hear hiking down the canyon is incredible.

2) You thought it would be a beach trip in AZ??? AZ doesn't have a beach. If you search the posts a bit though, you can drive to Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point in 4 hrs...it is in Mexico.

3)COLD WEATHER? Yeah...a bit in the mornings and evenings...Tucson seems to have a 30-40 swing during the winter...something I didn't know too well. So a 40 degree morning will make way for a 70 degree afternoon, then back to 30-40 at night. Where you looking for a spring break destination?
Then coatmundi's idea might be better. AZ isn't really a spring break destination.

4) Bad food? You don't seem like you have an idea of the food here. It is some of the best mexican food you will have in your life...sonoran style..have you had a sonoran hotdog? They are pretty delicious. There are other restaurants around town...I mean, I even went to the chain/bland sushi places there. There are great sandwich places and such..But there are overall some good eating options...check out yelp? " I don't eat foreign food @ all"....open up your mind...see and taste the world! Taste is all about anticipation...

5) Homeless? So what if there are some homeless people? Is it going to ruin your trip? I didn't notice very many anyway. And it is fairly easy to stay out of trouble in a town like Tucson.

6) Nightlife? Maybe someone can better answer this...but 4th ave. has abit of a scene...kind of the hippie/bohemian strip of road with some nice nightlife. I had a great time on new years at the surly wench on 4th ave. Some shopping can be found here also. But they have 2 malls in Tucson I believe.

Perhaps you guys can meet up in SD? Or even somewhere in Florida like the previous poster if you are looking for more of a spring break scene.

I like to bounce a lot of ideas on this forum and it has helped a lot. I hope my answers gave you some ideas for your trip. Let us know if we can help in any other way.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,367 times
What's all this about Arizona being beachless? Haven't you been to Parker Canyon or Patagonia Lake? Who doesn't like spending the day on (no swimming) a 5' wide strip of gravel watching motorboats turn tight circles for hours? Minutes of fun!

And don't worry about the homeless. As I'm sure you've (OP) been informed by whatever level of Jon Stewart's commentary or MTV true life drama that has percolated down into your social circle's awareness of current events, these homeless are all just illegal Mexican immigrants waiting to steal our jobs and give birth to anchor babies. It's the ones with big moustaches, in white suits and smoking cigars that you have to worry about, because they're only interested in kidnapping you and taking you back to their hacienda to be in their Mexican harem. The whiter and younger you are, the more they'll work to seduce you.

Spring breakers go to Lake Havasu or Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco. Tucson is dead during spring break. We appreciate having a simple week of peace from the undergrads, so please don't ruin that.

Tucson has two real malls (Park Place & Tucson) and three fake malls (La Encantada, Foothills & El Con).

Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM

532 posts, read 1,177,344 times
If your friend said the Grand Canyon wasn't worth it, it sounds like she was there for a very short time and didn't see enough of it. Or nature is not her thing. The GC is amazing.

And being from Tennessee, I think you should get out of the same old American Pie life and branch out. How do you know if you don't like foreign food until you try? Live a little!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
It never fails to amaze me that this sort of a post can possibly inspire responses... Some of them even lengthy!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
I've heard of Chattanooga before. There's kind of this famous song....

There are many great things to see and do in and around Tucson, and tons and tons in Arizona. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I guess.

Here's a website to check out:
Arizona Highways Magazine

Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
and what's up with this "poll" up there?....did our globe-trotter from "a small town in Chattanooga" post that?....

Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,191,778 times
Chattanooga and Eastern Tennessee is absolutely beautiful. It's one of the most underrated places in the country. However there isn't anything in Tenn that compares to the grand canyon.

As for the poll, well, I'm really speechless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson