U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,558 times

Advertisements

Hello- I will be relocating from San Diego to Tucson this summer, and I'm having a hard time deciding where I want to live. I have two small children so I obviously want a good school, and safe neighbrhood. My boyfriend currently lives Downtown in a really nice complex, but I'm not sure if it's "kid friendly". I was looking into Catatlina Foothills, but was hoping to get more feedback in regards to safety, schools, commute, and neighbors. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 04:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,541,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esandoval View Post
Hello- I will be relocating from San Diego to Tucson this summer, and I'm having a hard time deciding where I want to live. I have two small children so I obviously want a good school, and safe neighbrhood. My boyfriend currently lives Downtown in a really nice complex, but I'm not sure if it's "kid friendly". I was looking into Catatlina Foothills, but was hoping to get more feedback in regards to safety, schools, commute, and neighbors. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The Catalina Foothills are a great area - quite upscale with fabulous views, lots of nice housing options, low crime and (from what I've read) good schools. It would be a fine choice for a family. Commute will depend on WHERE you are commuting to.

Ken

Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,558 times
Thanks. My boyfriend works closer to Downtown, so I'm wondering if moving to the Catalina area will be to far for him. I also read online that The Catalina School District is one of the best in Tucson, is this true?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,541,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esandoval View Post
Thanks. My boyfriend works closer to Downtown, so I'm wondering if moving to the Catalina area will be to far for him. I also read online that The Catalina School District is one of the best in Tucson, is this true?
It's not a long way from the Foothills area to downtown (though that will vary a bit depending on WHERE in the Foothills area) - and yes the CF School district is very well thought of. The CF School district & the Vail School district (east & south of downtown) are generally considered the best school districts in the Tucson area.

Ken

Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,476,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's not a long way from the Foothills area to downtown (though that will vary a bit depending on WHERE in the Foothills area) - and yes the CF School district is very well thought of. The CF School district & the Vail School district (east & south of downtown) are generally considered the best school districts in the Tucson area.

Ken
Your patience amazes me, Ken!!! Or it must be that unfulfilled yet desire...

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 AM

444 posts, read 1,254,279 times
My SO's dad works for Catalina Foothills USD, and they have a really interesting setup: there's very little in the way of commercial and industrial development in the district, so the property tax base is low to the point that the district itself has very little money and can't pay their staff well. All of the new buildings, the trips they take, and any other exhorbitant expenditures are the result of donations from parents and/or the community.
I feel like you have to be brutally honest on City Data, and the Catalina Foothills has the reputation as the rich, stuck-up part of town. It's very white, very wealthy and very suburban. I only live a couple of miles from its start, but won't drive up there usually without good reason (for instance, I won't eat at a restaurant up there). Then again though, it's not really my scene and I don't feel very comfortable with it.
If your boyfriend is living Downtown now, then he's going to hate living in the Foothills. I know I would. With the proliferation of charter schools in Arizona, as well as TUSD's magnet programs, there's not much reason to dog on the schools in the basin. In TUSD, it depends on which schools, specifically, you're talking about. Amphitheater USD is the same way.
If the complex Downtown is one of the complexes I'm thinking of (there are only a couple) then, for what he's paying there, you can get a very decent 2br townhouse or even detached house in a good, much more kid-friendly neighborhood a little further away from Downtown. In the Foothills, you'll only be able to get an apartment for that, and the apartments up there actually aren't even that good. There are a couple of complexes near Sunrise/Swan that advertise a lot and are cheap but are also awful.
But there's no reason to live in the Foothills, unless you or he have some sort of desire to sit in traffic for almost an hour each day. I would think you would have had enough of that in San Diego. What makes Tucson a really great city is not really present out there and, at least from my perspective, it's better to be a part of that community than to live on its fringes.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM

532 posts, read 1,097,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Your patience amazes me, Ken!!! Or it must be that unfulfilled yet desire...
Are you alluding to the fact that we see this same question every week, sometimes more than once a week? I really feel like we should urge people to do more searches on here instead of regurgitating the same stuff multiple times a week for people who don't want to do a search.

Please, I'm not trying to be unhelpful mods or newcomers....I'm just suggesting we encourage people to do remedial searches, and if that doesn't answer their questions, THEN make a thread. I see so many people griping that the Tucson forum won't help out, and those are usually the same people who have asked one of the many questions we get asked on a very frequent basis and we either don't respond to them or tell them to search. Please, for the love of God search. Many of us are very helpful and have in the past gone to great lengths to give thorough information, and should be granted with the respect of doing a search before asking the same questions.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM

42,835 posts, read 83,476,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
Are you alluding to the fact that we see this same question every week, sometimes more than once a week? I really feel like we should urge people to do more searches on here instead of regurgitating the same stuff multiple times a week for people who don't want to do a search.
Exactamento. I personally am not about to write a book "Tucson in General" every time somebody decides to drop a line or two without searching and reading anything at all.

You might've noticed I answer some very obscure questions if I happen to know something about the subject and I might even research it myself if I'm curious about it, but I'm not putting up with this sort of BS and disrespect for people's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson