U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 04:20 PM

65 posts, read 201,944 times

Advertisements

Hi. Single retired lady living alone, currently in very safe area, need to keep it that way, so what, if anything might I find in Tucson? Already asked about Phoenix, am evidently too poor for there, is Tucson going to be any better?
Thanks alot for your input.
Adreana
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 PM

532 posts, read 1,107,116 times
I hope Rick sees this. He's pretty helpful with real estate threads over here. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM

42,835 posts, read 84,030,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
Hi. Single retired lady living alone, currently in very safe area, need to keep it that way, so what, if anything might I find in Tucson? Already asked about Phoenix, am evidently too poor for there, is Tucson going to be any better?
Adreana
Many years ago I saw some efficiency units (REALLY small studios - I believe under 300 sq.ft.) in a complex on Grant Rd, just West of Craycroft, on the South side of the street. Don't remember the name of the complex. At that time they cost $400 with utilities included. Normally I wouldn't recommend such a place because you have no control over when the heating and cooling is turned on, but that'll be one of the few places that may fit your budget, unless you're willing to live with roommates. That was probably about 10 years ago, but rent hasn't gone up much since then, so I figure they're likely still under $500. The area is reasonably safe, but it's noisy as it's close to TMC (Tucson Medical Center) and you'd hear sirens quite often.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 PM

4,317 posts, read 10,347,804 times
There are some nice apartments in Cottonwood AZ for age 60 and over called Christian Care (I know someone who lives there) and they are geared to income, hers is $240 inclusive and BEAUTIFUL. It is a small 1 bedroom but it's freshly painted, new carpet, new linoleum with views. If you don't want to live in Cottonwood maybe they have something similar on Tucson.

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 AM

4,923 posts, read 7,926,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
Adreana
I live alone (except for a 21 year old son) in a three bedroom condo in Oro Valley. We bought this condo in 2008 before my husband passed away. Had been coming here and renting for a month at a time during Spring Training since 1995 (and before that in hotels). I have no income at all, other than the small dividends I make on my late husband's investments. Next year, I will begin to receive his Soc. Sec. but only half of it, as that's how the gov't. works. I was a stay at home mom and teacher in a private school system which had no benefits.

In my complex, a one bedroom condo goes for about $80,000. But, they also have units they rent. A one bedroom/ 1 bath in my complex will rent for about $600.00 a month, a three bedroom/2 bath for $1000.00 a month. You'll have to pay HOA and water, but you'll get a pool, spa, library, exercise rooms, grills, and other amenities all in Oro Valley. These are not the greatest places, as they are apartment conversions, but they do have 6' walls between upstairs and downstairs.

You might want to talk to Rich Tucson Homes. He's amazing.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM

65 posts, read 201,944 times
Thanks to all of you for your information and kindness.
adreana

Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM

4,317 posts, read 10,347,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I live alone (except for a 21 year old son) in a three bedroom condo in Oro Valley. We bought this condo in 2008 before my husband passed away. Had been coming here and renting for a month at a time during Spring Training since 1995 (and before that in hotels). I have no income at all, other than the small dividends I make on my late husband's investments. Next year, I will begin to receive his Soc. Sec. but only half of it, as that's how the gov't. works. I was a stay at home mom and teacher in a private school system which had no benefits.

In my complex, a one bedroom condo goes for about $80,000. But, they also have units they rent. A one bedroom/ 1 bath in my complex will rent for about $600.00 a month, a three bedroom/2 bath for $1000.00 a month. You'll have to pay HOA and water, but you'll get a pool, spa, library, exercise rooms, grills, and other amenities all in Oro Valley. These are not the greatest places, as they are apartment conversions, but they do have 6' walls between upstairs and downstairs.

You might want to talk to Rich Tucson Homes. He's amazing.
Hi Marcy
Would you mind sharing what the 2 and 3 bedrooms go for these days?
Thanks!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 AM

22 posts, read 71,335 times
I cant tell you any priceranges or anything like that but to find my apartment in Bullhead I used rent.com and found it very helpful. They will ask you to make an account, and after you do that you put in the city and they will bring up rentals, then you have to see if its available by sending them your name and phone number, and usually when i did this they all got back to me within a day or two. Hope that helps !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson