Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:16 PM

41 posts, read 161,325 times

Advertisements

Did anyone check the Oracle store? BTW, when will the adjacent IN-N-OUT grand open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 04:02 PM

476 posts, read 1,671,276 times
A friend of mine was there today & signs stated 20 - 40% off. She went to buy a couple of books she wanted, but the line was to the back of the store so she re-shelved her books & left. The discount didn't make up for the amount of time in line. I imagine that fluctuates, but pretty packed (apparently).

Old 02-19-2011, 04:14 PM

41 posts, read 161,325 times
Good to know. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,242,083 times
If you sign up for Borders' coupons, you can get 40%-off coupons fairly regularly and use them at the Park Place store, so their 20-40% sale is underwhelming. But if you say "liquidation" to Tucsonans, they'll come running -- so I'm sure they'll empty the place out.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,925,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If you sign up for Borders' coupons, you can get 40%-off coupons fairly regularly and use them at the Park Place store, so their 20-40% sale is underwhelming. But if you say "liquidation" to Tucsonans, they'll come running -- so I'm sure they'll empty the place out.
Remember the "overwhelming" liquidation sale at Linens 'n Things? Everything was 20% off, which it always was with their endless annoying coupons (like BBB); only that you had the pleasure to get the stuff as a final and non-returnable purchase!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Remember the "overwhelming" liquidation sale at Linens 'n Things? Everything was 20% off, which it always was with their endless annoying coupons (like BBB); only that you had the pleasure to get the stuff as a final and non-returnable purchase!
I forgot about that, but you're right. Everybody I know who went there came back saying, "Wha??" Mervyn's liquidation was like that, too. But interestingly, a friend of mine went to Mervyn's a couple of days BEFORE the bankruptcy was announced and they were having a "50% off the sale price" day. She got a bundle of stuff, averaging 75% off regular price. A week or so later, when the liquidation began, the same items had gone UP in price.

I think most of these things are handled the same way. The minute a company goes into chapter 7 (as opposed to a debt restructuring), the bankruptcy court assigns a liquidation company to take over. So the prices aren't being set by the entity in bankruptcy. The liquidation companies pay a flat fee for ownership of the goods in question and while they use the crashed company's store and employees to run the sale, the profit is going to them, as opposed to the bankrupt company. They also usually move in merchandise that was never even sold by the original store (which is why there is so much cr@p at those things).

Borders, however, is in debt restructuring, so they're running their own sale. They have the option to move leftover merch to Park Place, so there's probably a price line at which they will do that, as opposed to giving the stuff away at their cost.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Borders, however, is in debt restructuring, so they're running their own sale. They have the option to move leftover merch to Park Place, so there's probably a price line at which they will do that, as opposed to giving the stuff away at their cost.
I'm really glad the Park Mall location remains. Having a big ugly hole there, too, would've been horrible! As if that eyesore Sears isn't bad enough!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm really glad the Park Mall location remains. Having a big ugly hole there, too, would've been horrible! As if that eyesore Sears isn't bad enough!
Not to mention that every Borders I ever went to in Phoenix is closing. According to their website, the only ones remaining opening are Glendale, a Waldenbooks on Bell Road, and the Borders airport kiosk at Sky Harbor! I've never been to the one in Glendale. I wonder if it is even full-size.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Not to mention that every Borders I ever went to in Phoenix is closing. According to their website, the only ones remaining opening are Glendale, a Waldenbooks on Bell Road, and the Borders airport kiosk at Sky Harbor! I've never been to the one in Glendale. I wonder if it is even full-size.
Wow, that's really odd... I guess Tucsonans read more!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,490,960 times
Quote:
The one in Glendale is full size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson