U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 AM
 
Location: downtown phoenix
1,197 posts, read 1,600,641 times
Reputation: 1914

Advertisements

hello all. my wife and i will be coming down from phoenix for a day just to check out the city as we are considering tucson as a potential for relocation. i was hoping to get some ideas as to things and places we should see. i would really like to find a walkable neighborhood with some dining and nightlife. something cool and eclectic. also any ideas on places to eat or basically anything you enjoy that you think we should see!

I know one day really isn't enough time to get a true rep of your city, but any thoughts or suggestions would be great. we love the sonoran desert and are counting the days until we can live there!

thanks in advance!

p.s. we will be in az the last week of april.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
 
4,201 posts, read 12,717,532 times
Reputation: 4176
if you want to walk around, eat, drink, etc., all in one day, you won't have time for the Desert Museum, which is the best "touristy" thing to see here...try to hit it some other time.....you may have time for San Xavier Mission, which only requires an hour or so once you get down there....still an active church for the Tohono O'odham on their reservation dating from Spanish days.....

if you're planning to relocate here, what's your price range?....do you want funky, old, new, suburbs, townhouse, lots of land, old money, new money?....

if you want to just walk around during your day down here (as you described), you may want to walk around the UA, then walk W on University from the Main Gate area, then turn S on 4th Avenue all the way to the railroad tracks and beyond into the E part of downtown centered on the Hotel Congress and the restored RR depot....you asked for eclectic and eclectic it is!....a mix of hippies, students, yuppies, new-agers, the whole bit...it's an old area with some sofas on the front porches and all that....not at all the upscale, suburban lifestyle you may prefer, or not.....fun stores/bars/restaurants in the University/Main Gate area....hippy stuff along 4th Ave. and some old residential in between.....

were you hoping for something not like this for your day visit?....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
 
444 posts, read 1,230,963 times
Reputation: 417
The route described above will give you a good sense of the city but you're right in assuming that you're not really going to get a comprehensive assessment of Tucson by spending a day. I'd actually start Downtown though and walk east because, if you decide to keep going down University, it becomes Third Street and enters arguably the most attractive neighborhood in the city, Sam Hughes. Whereas heading west of Downtown will lead you to one of the least attractives areas of the city.
I'd also throw out walking the "Turquoise Trail," which is basically just a turquoise (more teal, IMHO) line running the sidewalks in the Downtown area, or walking around the El Presidio neighborhood on the northwest side of Downtown, around the intersection of Meyer & Franklin. Great neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: downtown phoenix
1,197 posts, read 1,600,641 times
Reputation: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if you want to walk around, eat, drink, etc., all in one day, you won't have time for the Desert Museum, which is the best "touristy" thing to see here...try to hit it some other time.....you may have time for San Xavier Mission, which only requires an hour or so once you get down there....still an active church for the Tohono O'odham on their reservation dating from Spanish days.....

if you're planning to relocate here, what's your price range?....do you want funky, old, new, suburbs, townhouse, lots of land, old money, new money?....

if you want to just walk around during your day down here (as you described), you may want to walk around the UA, then walk W on University from the Main Gate area, then turn S on 4th Avenue all the way to the railroad tracks and beyond into the E part of downtown centered on the Hotel Congress and the restored RR depot....you asked for eclectic and eclectic it is!....a mix of hippies, students, yuppies, new-agers, the whole bit...it's an old area with some sofas on the front porches and all that....not at all the upscale, suburban lifestyle you may prefer, or not.....fun stores/bars/restaurants in the University/Main Gate area....hippy stuff along 4th Ave. and some old residential in between.....

were you hoping for something not like this for your day visit?....
just about exactly the kind of info i was looking for, thanks and keep em coming! as far as price range and all that jazz, we're just checking out the city for now.

thanks again
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 PM
 
Location: downtown phoenix
1,197 posts, read 1,600,641 times
Reputation: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
The route described above will give you a good sense of the city but you're right in assuming that you're not really going to get a comprehensive assessment of Tucson by spending a day. I'd actually start Downtown though and walk east because, if you decide to keep going down University, it becomes Third Street and enters arguably the most attractive neighborhood in the city, Sam Hughes. Whereas heading west of Downtown will lead you to one of the least attractives areas of the city.
I'd also throw out walking the "Turquoise Trail," which is basically just a turquoise (more teal, IMHO) line running the sidewalks in the Downtown area, or walking around the El Presidio neighborhood on the northwest side of Downtown, around the intersection of Meyer & Franklin. Great neighborhood.
i was wondering where the sam hughes neighborhood was. i've seen some photos and it looked pretty fantastic! is it east of the university on 3rd?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM
 
4,201 posts, read 12,717,532 times
Reputation: 4176
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
i was wondering where the sam hughes neighborhood was. i've seen some photos and it looked pretty fantastic! is it east of the university on 3rd?
exactly, but the entire Sam Hughes 'hood is from Speedway to Broadway and Campbell to Country Club - one square mile.....

as part of the UA et al walk I described above, you could easily add the Sam Hughes area by walking E along the university mall all the way to a stop light at Campbell and 3rd St and continuing straight E into it....3rd St has the nicest houses in Sam Hughes followed closely by 4th and 5th Sts. in the first four or five blocks E of Campbell....started being developed in the 1920s...smallish lots, but very desireable....look for the WPA stamps in the sidewalks!......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 AM
 
Location: downtown phoenix
1,197 posts, read 1,600,641 times
Reputation: 1914
any ideas on a great place to eat a nice dinner in the university area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
 
444 posts, read 1,230,963 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
any ideas on a great place to eat a nice dinner in the university area?
I like Sultan Palace. Afghani food done pretty well.
If that's too weird for you though, there are plenty of other places. Are you looking for a fancier place, or just good food? Are you going to be walking or driving? What sort of foods will you not eat?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 AM
 
Location: downtown phoenix
1,197 posts, read 1,600,641 times
Reputation: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
I like Sultan Palace. Afghani food done pretty well.
If that's too weird for you though, there are plenty of other places. Are you looking for a fancier place, or just good food? Are you going to be walking or driving? What sort of foods will you not eat?
fancy or good, hopefully both, lol. we eat just about anything. afghani food sounds pretty interesting. we just really enjoy locally owned restaurants. since we are going to be there all day, i guess lunch and dinner are in order!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Charlotte. NC
196 posts, read 392,922 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
any ideas on a great place to eat a nice dinner in the university area?
If you are looking for lunch- try Beyond Bread. One of the places I miss most about Tucson. The original El Charro location is near UA, and used to serve great mexican food. I moved several years ago, and shortly before, the quality food was going downhill at some new locations- not sure if someone local can chime in about it lately....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top