Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 AM

522 posts, read 1,568,372 times

Advertisements

You are absolutely correct Marcy. Unfortunately too many parents are absent or unwilling to teach kids these morals and how to be civil or polite nowadays.

It's a struggle to keep my kids values in place because most of their peers have not been taught. We need to reinforce this many times each day. But when parents are not around or ignore their kids and let them do what they want without supervision, they do not have this. I think this has become more common than not.

These core values are learned as kids and I believe that if they don't learn this before adolescence, they never learn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:49 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,091 times
"Civility" is the new buzz word for sensorship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I agree that the underlying violence in some of the right-wing rhetoric is a problem, but this seems like an absurd response.
There is no more (and probably no less) "underlying violent rhetoric" on the "right-wing" than the "left-wing". I can post example after example after example of "left-wing violent rhetoric" if you'd like... if that would convince you.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:22 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"Civility" is the new buzz word for sensorship.

There is no more (and probably no less) "underlying violent rhetoric" on the "right-wing" than the "left-wing". I can post example after example after example of "left-wing violent rhetoric" if you'd like... if that would convince you.
I don't disagree with this. I think whatever party you belong to, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green, Tea, etc., you're going to have a beef with someone in another party. It's the nature of politics and competition--who's going to be the best? Each party is out to best the other. For whatever reason, degrading party members and policies has become de riguer. It's not enough anymore to just agree to disagree.

And the yelling, screaming, chest beating, in your face accusations and arguing have filtered down to younger and younger people. It seems like "Mean Girls", violently bickering adversaries, bullying in person, on social networks and by phone are now normal behaviours. Angry, violent discourse is more the norm than rational, fact based, logical, arguments. It's sad, but the state of our nation is one big, loud, angry, violent besting contest. This is the example our leaders at the city, state and national level pose for our up and coming young people who will someday be making our laws and ruling our nation.

If these people who will be our mayors, governors, senators, congressmen/women, and President are as angry and vengeful as it seems they're becoming, I hope I spend my sunset years on a small island far from the maddening crowd, where I can vote by absentee ballot.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:31 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Nothing else seems to be working. Why not try a civility institute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: