Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 PM

532 posts, read 1,176,984 times

Advertisements

Your loss. You both are overreacting.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundieFood View Post
Davros,

I have been told the same things about Tucson (in regards to crime). I have been offered a job in Tucson with great pay; but I don't think it's worth all the negatives that I have been told about Tucson. I think I might just stay put in Denver. I think Tucson is more of a retirement/winter home type city.
Why leave Denver ? In your other post you say your wife has a job there making more than she could make in Tucson.

If I had a job in Denver, that's where I'd be. Denver is a beautiful city. There is a ton to do there, and large areas with low crime rather than small fringe communities as appears to be the case in Tucson based on crime map data.

What is better about Tucson than Denver in your mind ?

Back in 2006 when I was still in Denver w/o a job, the weather lady's "summary" on the newspaper weather page was always titled "Tis a priviledge to live in Colorado". After 4 years of living in Pennsylvania, I can assure you that she is right.

I'd recommend staying put in Denver, even knowing very little about Tucson. It can't possibly be better than Denver.

Last edited by Davros; 03-25-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 04:46 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
This is getting very real and very scary.

I may really be offerered a job in Tucson very shortly and have to make a decision whether to move there. Turning down a job offer would be very bad for my career and would make a few people very angry, but if I'm as terrified of moving to Tucson as I appear to be, accepting this job may still be a very bad choice. Even applying was a very bad choice, but I had no idea I'd get this scared once it became real.

I was lucky to accept a job in State College, PA and never having visited there and it turning out to be a great place to live. It's just too far from my family. It takes 6-7 hours of actual travel time to visit them (big jet + ground or puddle jumper out of SCE). From Tucson, it would only take 2 hours by air.

I should never have applied without visiting Tucson first, but I was too lazy (and too busy at work) to make trips all over the place (other than trips to visit/help my family). And I'm scared of getting bed bugs from hotels and then spreading them to my family, neighbors, and co-workers later on.

Basically, I am afraid of living in the world, and perhaps there is no place for me.

I'm not really afraid of death, and am ready for it once it comes (I feel I have lived long enough already), but for now my family needs me to stay alive. I can't go to some scary city where I might die from gangs. That won't do my family any good. It's better to stay out here and continue to try to help them from such a long distance.

I'd rather die from being shot or stabbed than die of various kinds of diseases. I fear disease and bed bugs the most of all things, and then crime secondly to that. I'm not as much afraid of the crime, per se, but of getting chewed out by everybody for doing something as stupid as moving to a dangerous city and making myself vulnerable to crime.

I want to help my community, but family must come first. I must stay alive and stay safe for now, so that I can help them. And then, there will come a time when I can live in any community I want to, and to not be afraid.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
It appears the o/p has gotten the answers to his questions. Thread closed.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
If Davros is as scared as he's saying, there's more going on here than moving to Tucson. Bed bugs? staying alive? Afraid of Tucson? Afraid to leave his family? I sense some pretty blatant paranoia. This is more than just nervous about going to a new city. I think he's terrified of life. He needs more help than we can give him, right now.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:05 AM

126 posts, read 235,094 times
Davros, I've lived in a lot of different cities and I read the same things about crime here in Tucson before I moved here. It's overblown. If you live in Marana or Oro Valley areas, there's very little crime. I don't even worry in the 'grittier' parts of town, especially compared to San Antonio, DC, Baltimore, LA, Denver, Philly, Pittsburgh, and a number of other cities I've lived in.
Colfax Street in Denver is a lot scarier than any part of Tucson that I've been to.

I wouldn't do damage to my career by turning down a job in Tucson because I'm worried about crime. That would likely do a lot more damage to your family than moving here.

All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson