Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:41 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times

Advertisements

Patagonia, and if you want cheap--Rio Rico. The east side is best and is known as Riogonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 12:05 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
()(....NOTE: I believe you inadvertenly over-looked the occasional encounter with Javalina(s) and bob-cats. I lived in Oro Valley in the 12900 block of Pioneer Way and Had both bob-cats and Javalina on my driveway more than once during the winter of 2008/2009 If a person has small-pets.....these two animals could pose a "problem" depending how you control your pet(s) and where you take them for running and exercise,

I live in Oro Valley just east up the hill from Oracle between 1st Ave and basically Steam Pump. We have javelina in late spring through summer, mountain lion (aka bobcat, puma, etc.) year round, scorpion, rattlers, tarantula and tarantula hawks in the heat of summer, coyotes in fall, and other creepy crawlies that pose a problem for pets and people. The trick is to learn to live with them and know their habits. Puma usually will attack small animals or children, people who run and other wildlife around dusk and dawn. So, if you walk a pet, or let it out in your yard, stay with it and make noise. Javelina don't see well, so don't move if you see one. Wait for it to go on its way. The ones we have like garbage cans and will root up flowers, shrubs and small trees. If you have a dog, take it to snake training classes (yes, they're for real), be aware of what scorpions like (water) and that they can climb wall, trees and get in to your house through loose screens, places where wires or cables come in, doors with gaps at the bottom, and on clothing and packages. Rattlers are actually shy, but will not hesitate to strike if they feel threatened. Wear boots up to the knee or heavy , long pants. All of these animals are common in a semi-urban setting because we've moved into their habitat. It just takes common sense and knowing their behaviors to live peacefully amongst them.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
mountain lion (aka bobcat, puma, etc.) year round
Mountain lions & bobcats are absolutely different! You really don't wanna see a mountain lion!

Cougar vs Bobcat (http://www2.ucsc.edu/police/cougarvbobcat.htm - broken link)

Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
We had mountain lion in Colorado~~they followed the deer population, but we called them bobcats, too. I know there's a difference between puma, bobcat, cougar, mountain lion, but they all do the same thing...kill.

When I lived in Colorado Springs (in the city!), I came home from the grocery store and there was a news crew and satellite truck in front of my house. This was before cell phones, so I immediately thought something horrific had happened to one of my kids and went into full panic mode. Turns out, there was a mountain lion just lounging on my front porch. It scared a neighbor who was walking her dog, so she called 911 and the rest was on the 5:00 news. (The kids were fine...)

Old 04-12-2011, 07:02 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
We had mountain lion in Colorado~~they followed the deer population, but we called them bobcats, too. I know there's a difference between puma, bobcat, cougar, mountain lion, but they all do the same thing...kill.

When I lived in Colorado Springs (in the city!), I came home from the grocery store and there was a news crew and satellite truck in front of my house. This was before cell phones, so I immediately thought something horrific had happened to one of my kids and went into full panic mode. Turns out, there was a mountain lion just lounging on my front porch. It scared a neighbor who was walking her dog, so she called 911 and the rest was on the 5:00 news. (The kids were fine...)
OK, a whopping number of 3 attacks by bobcats (none of them in AZ) has been recorded in history - all under unusual circumstances.

Bobcat Attack

Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Used to live in Silver City and from my parent's house in central Tucson to my house in NM was exactly 3 hours. My house was at 6000 feet above sea level in the middle of a small town with 10,000 people.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,235 times
Flagstaff and Grand Canyon, but it's a long drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson