Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,164 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my wife and two year old son to Tucson from NYC in July. I have been looking for appropriate areas that are relatively safe, quiet and kid friendly. Reading online, foothills seem to be alright, but I would like to know more from the residents of the area.

Also, please share your opinions about these apartments and their surrounding area.

Colonia and Hacienda Del Rio Apartments
4545 North Via Entrada, Tucson, AZ 85718

Veranda at Ventana
5751 North Kolb Road

Ridge point -HSL
6001 East Pima
Tucson, AZ 85712

Sabino Canyon homes
4880 N Sabino Canyon Rd
Tucson, AZ 85750-7006

I appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,624 times
Ridge Point would be my last choice.
Just a general note about Tucson apartments: the complexes you find on rent.com and such are all huge and are generally the worst value for your money. Independently managed, smaller apartment complexes are, in my opinion, the way to go here.

Where are you going to be working?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM

136 posts, read 261,758 times
you may also want to look up perspective places online at apartmentratings.com for reviews of former tenants, although keep in mind, people who are disgruntled post more often than people who have no complaints.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 7,164 times
I will be working with El Rio clinic. Thanks for your reply. How do I get to know the smaller complexes? I can get to visit Tucson for a weekend before I move. Will it give me enough time to search through the smaller complexes? Also, please comment on the appropriate areas.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
Ridge Point would be my last choice.
I'd second that. I mean, it's not a horrible complex or location, but the rest are better choices. Also, it's best to stay away from HSL Properties in general. The problem is they own probably about half of the apt complexes in town...

Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 PM

444 posts, read 1,352,624 times
I don't know what you're looking to spend, but you may end up finding detached homes or townhouses are a better deal than 2-bedroom apartments. Since you're going to be working at El Rio, you'll want something somewhat central. Since your kid has a few years before starting any kind of school, there's no reason to be in the burbs like that.
You could look for something in Armory Park, Dunbar Spring, Sam Hughes and West University (but I would stay west of 4th Ave). There are a lot of young families in those areas and, coming from New York, you'll likely find better company in those neighborhoods, just because that's where the NYC transplants seem to end up. There are a lot of rental houses in those areas and they're fairly reasonable. And they're perfectly safe areas. There's issues with property crime in some spots and you may see homeless people walking around, but there's no real danger.
You could also go west of I-10 and find cheaper housing, but it's an old Latino neighborhood (Barrio Hollywood), and a lot of people have a bad impression of it. I've been inside a couple of houses over there though, and they're fantastic (older style Tucson homes, mostly), and people I've known who have actually lived over there loved it. Just stay east of Silverbell and north of Congress, and avoid the apartments.
Barrio Anita (bounded by I-10, Speedway, St Mary's & the railroad tracks) is another good area that's been significantly gentrified in the past 5 years. Much moreso than Barrio Hollywood.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,068,367 times
if you can manage the logistics, you may want to first stay in an extended-stay-type hotel/motel for a week or two while you scout homes/apartments, so you don't have to make a too-quick decision....something like Studio 6, Marriott Residence Inn, Extended Stay America, and many other brands

are you looking to eventually buy a home?....if so, don't worry about doing it soon as prices are going nowhere for a while....

there are many apartment complexes all over....I hope you can spend time finding the right one...visit at night, check the grounds, how is the general feel?, noisy/weird neighbors?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 AM

9 posts, read 13,507 times
Renting sublet might be ideal for short term housing, and that buys you more time to check other housing options out once you're in the area. I'm not a fan of signing contracts without knowing what you are getting yourself into.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 22,560 times
The crime map below can be a good resource. I have lived in both the Central area and the NW area and I prefer the NW. Rent for homes is pretty cheap with 2200 sq ft going for $1250/mo and 2 bd house going for $700-$900/mo

http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/police/stats

Last edited by getaholdofchandler; 04-05-2011 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Forgot link to Crime Map

Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 AM

67 posts, read 224,472 times
I second doing extended stay. We also had one weekend to visit when we moved here 2 years ago from Texas. Extended stay was offered to us, but I declined because we were already in so much transit, I wanted to be SETTLED.

I saw many neighborhoods, but ended up picking a house sight unseen. Very nice house...but the little nuances of day to day finally got to me. (Little things such as I didn't realize I'd risk life and limb to get out of the neighborhood each day.)

You're going to have a huge adjustment on your hands...especially showing up in July. Stay in extended stay for a few weeks to really get the feel of the area. You're going to find out that Tucson is a city where you have to drive EVERYWHERE (no highway, either) if you pick the wrong neighborhood.

The Foothills are very nice-- and higher priced. I'd also stay out of apartments-- there's plenty of nice houses/townhouses out there...and your child is getting older...a backyard will become a GOOD thing very soon.

As for driving around here: PLEASE don't just take other's words on it. I have found it takes the average newbie about 6 weeks or so to get REALLY tired of driving everywhere. We've lived in Durham, NC, Houston and now Tucson...hands down we do the most driving here. It is a very nice place...but you will save yourself a lot of grief when the trek to swim lessons isn't 30 minutes each way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson