Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 AM

12 posts, read 36,548 times

Advertisements

Wow! I can't believe the amount of support I have received on this thread! Thank you so much! I am psyched to move to Tucson!

I should have googled "coatimundi". What a cool animal!

Thanks for the weather report Marcy1210! That sounds pretty perfect. Though it is getting close to freezing at night, I suppose an electric blanket would probably suffice and save on some heating costs? I think the wknd would be perfect to play tennis/soccer, no?

Coatimundi, thanks for the info on everything.
I am getting a more clear picture of the Tucson area. I feel like I have a choice to make between:

1) Live in the Catalina Foothills with views, "sanitized", low crime, new apts, and a little more pricey. I would have to drive 25 min. during my VA months. I wouldn't really be able to ride a bike to the UMC, grocery store, etc. I don't think I would be able to maintain a hard working hippie lifestyle out there. But the pros are also tempting. *Going to call these the "burbs"

2) Live near UMC, have houses with character, be able to bike/walk/take a bus to most things (still not the VA), be closer to the young singles? Prices seem somewhat similar, but the apts/condos are not as "sanitized" and don't have as many amenities and new appliances. But the young/hippie vibe is the advantage of this area. *Going to call this the "city"

Does it sound like I have a handle on my choices? Or am I generalizing too much? I am going to be a very busy intern and probably won't spend too much time at home. I will be trying to go to the gym almost everyday though. That was another variable in opting for choice #2 above. I thought I would probably live closer to a nice gym if I lived in the city. The burbs seem so cookie cutter.

I JUST read MDCB's challenge in choosing a residency program. Almost all graduating medical students go through a phase during the residency match where they are trying to figure out all this crap out. I am glad he matched in Portland. I didn't interview up there in fear of dealing with 7 months of cloudy weather. I also messaged him/her in private.

And thank you to the NYC poster with the realtor info!

More questions to come!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
quick note re: gyms.....you may be able to get into the UA Student Rec Center, which just finished a huge expansion....it's by far the best gym in town now, but only for UA-related people....it's on 6th St W of Campbell, across from the S side of campus

I wouldn't call the Foothills the "suburbs", though I know you're trying to ID it in some way.....in fact, I'd stick to the UA area for housing.....wide variety of choices....but it's much older and sometimes couch-on-the-front-porch stuff.....student rentals, etc.....areas E of Campbell (Sam Hughes 'hood) are nicer and more pricey....all very bike-able.....

while hiking one day down in the Chiricahuas, I scared up a big pack of coatis "grazing" near the trail with their tails all sticking up....I crouched down and watched for a bit....they heard me, finally, and, within about 1.2 seconds, they had all scattered up trees and utterly disappeared....

Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM

444 posts, read 1,351,761 times
Yeah, I don't really get why you're even looking at the Foothills. There are very few rentals up there. Most of the ones that are there are these very generic, large apartment complexes, and I don't think you'd be happy with those. The rentals in the city have a lot more character and, at least from what I've seen, sense of community amongst the residents because of the smaller size of the complexes. I guess you do sacrifice new appliances to an extent with some places in the city, but if you're looking at dropping $1k per month, you can easily find something with nice, new appliances. Concentrate on neighborhoods though. UMC is not a car-friendly place. As I understand it, it's actually more expensive to park there than at UA, which is saying something. So it's best to be able to walk, bike or take a bus there.

UMC is considered a UA "affiliate," so you can get a membership at the student recreation center. They have quite a few classes and it is a really nice facility. If you live around UA, that's likely your closest gym anyway. My SO's taken a bunch of workout classes, yoga, etc. there.

Every residence in Tucson has heat. There's maybe two months out of the year where, maybe 10-15 days in each of those months (it varies wildly between years), you need heat. I lived in a rental with a heater that didn't really work, so we had space heaters. I mean, we didn't die, but it was definitely not comfortable. You could try an electric blanket. For me, the problem is always getting out of bed when it's that cold.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
Yeah, I don't really get why you're even looking at the Foothills. There are very few rentals up there. Most of the ones that are there are these very generic, large apartment complexes, and I don't think you'd be happy with those. The rentals in the city have a lot more character and, at least from what I've seen, sense of community amongst the residents because of the smaller size of the complexes. I guess you do sacrifice new appliances to an extent with some places in the city, but if you're looking at dropping $1k per month, you can easily find something with nice, new appliances. Concentrate on neighborhoods though. UMC is not a car-friendly place. As I understand it, it's actually more expensive to park there than at UA, which is saying something. So it's best to be able to walk, bike or take a bus there.
The reason I am looking at the Foothills is because of a few reasons
- New apts, appliances, etc.
- Low crime, no problems with flooding, etc.
- Seems like they all have pools.
- Would you say better vegetation/views?

The cons of the Foothills for me is the lack of public transport/inability to bike from there to UMC/VA. And with regards to parking, I believe UMC has free parking for its residents as does the VA, so I should be covered in that department if I do in fact drive.

Would you consider 3300 North Paseo Drive De Los Rios the Foothills?

Quote:
UMC is considered a UA "affiliate," so you can get a membership at the student recreation center. They have quite a few classes and it is a really nice facility. If you live around UA, that's likely your closest gym anyway. My SO's taken a bunch of workout classes, yoga, etc. there.
This is a big draw for me to live in the city. I believe we get a pretty steep discount for the gym. I've been part of a private gym and liked that experience also. Now that I am not an undergrad anymore I feel like I should venture out of the university scene and perhaps try to meet some people (women) in a non-academic or university setting. This way, I will be connected to the university through medical students and the medical community through working at the hospitals. It would be hard to connect to the rest of the community without an outlet like a gym/bars/volunteering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi18646558
Every residence in Tucson has heat. There's maybe two months out of the year where, maybe 10-15 days in each of those months (it varies wildly between years), you need heat. I lived in a rental with a heater that didn't really work, so we had space heaters. I mean, we didn't die, but it was definitely not comfortable. You could try an electric blanket. For me, the problem is always getting out of bed when it's that cold.
Coatmundi, true that about getting out of bed when its that cold. I suppose I will have to give in and turn on the heat once in a while.

I thank everyone for their advice. I just watched planet earth with the Sonoran desert part...was awesome!
Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson_bound View Post
Would you consider 3300 North Paseo De Los Rios Drive the Foothills?
I wouldn't consider this address as "Foothills" per se, but it's certainly a perfectly OK and quite central location. I think it's removed enough from the not so good places around and it's probably quiet and peaceful. I don't know the apartments, but they seem to get decent reviews (I saw that when I looked up the address).

Btw, you mentioned something about flooding... That's not a problem anywhere in Tucson except for many/most streets during the monsoons.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 AM

I think I am going to resort to renting one of those "cookie cutter" apartments in the foothills. Anyone regret moving there and not into the heart of the city? Closer to UA and such? Especially in the spirit of meeting different types of folk.

Also, I am really digging the recent cloudy weather in Cleveland. Though not sunny, it is nice to have a day or two of this (not like Portland though I don't think). I just wanted to make sure again that Tucson does have a few cloudy days to enjoy even in the summer months?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 AM

444 posts, read 1,351,761 times
Whatever floats your boat. Just make sure you sign a 6 month lease, max. There are a lot of bad apartments up there. People assume "Foothills" always means "fancy," but that's just not the case.
Have fun driving in everyday.

Strange to see another user from Cleveland looking at a potential medical residency at UMC/VA Hospital but also looking at Portland. What are the odds?!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Whatever floats your boat. Just make sure you sign a 6 month lease, max. There are a lot of bad apartments up there. People assume "Foothills" always means "fancy," but that's just not the case.
Have fun driving in everyday.

Strange to see another user from Cleveland looking at a potential medical residency at UMC/VA Hospital but also looking at Portland. What are the odds?!
Thanks coatimundi. I am not from Cleveland, actually on a big road trip before I start my residency. I have always wanted to "tour the US" and am doing so at a fairly rapid pace. I am from the east coast, did schooling in the midwest and now am exploring the midwest/south before I move out west to Tucson.

To be honest, that is the generalization that I have made with the "Foothills." Could you expound a bit? There are a lot of crappy apts up there? And by bad what do you mean? I am also generalizing that the more one pays, the better the apt is going to be in general.

You really think the drive in from the foothills will be crappy? Especially to the VA?

I did not apply to Portland programs at all. Too dreary up there for me. I enjoy the sun, just not sure about the blasting sun as I like to call it. Haha! Though, I did direct message the other user and we talked about Oregon Health Sciences University. She is going to another hospital that I did not know up there.

Still looking forward towards my adventure in Tucson!!!

Last edited by tucson_bound; 04-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: drive from the foothills crappy?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson_bound View Post
I think I am going to resort to renting one of those "cookie cutter" apartments in the foothills. Anyone regret moving there and not into the heart of the city?
I've read about scorpions in the apartments there.

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure again that Tucson does have a few cloudy days to enjoy even in the summer months?
Yeah, we do have a few cloudy days. As a matter of fact, I spent Saturday in bed and it was delicious! For some reason it's hard to do it when the sun is blasting. It feels like you should be up...

Oh, in summer you'll enjoy plenty of cloudy afternoons and thunderstorms! That's what we call monsoons and below is my take on it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...-monsoons.html

Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I've read about scorpions in the apartments there.

Yeah, we do have a few cloudy days. As a matter of fact, I spent Saturday in bed and it was delicious! For some reason it's hard to do it when the sun is blasting. It feels like you should be up...

Oh, in summer you'll enjoy plenty of cloudy afternoons and thunderstorms! That's what we call monsoons and below is my take on it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...-monsoons.html
Dang. I am planning on converting my apartment into a dark room with some really dark/thick curtains. I hope this affords me some well needed sleep and perhaps would cut on the electricity bills? I recall seeing some thread on here that talked about wooden blinds? Think I will have to invest in those?

Are there any companies that will find an apartment for you? I hear they drive you around? Or is this a big city option only? Any experiences with those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson