U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM

132 posts, read 227,027 times

Advertisements

I think this is like my 4th post, so I have given it a lot of thought and would like to know two things. Does anyone know if Dickmans meats handle cheese curds? (I understand the owner is a cheesehead) and would any self respecting resident from Tucson ever get caught at Taco Bell?

Just curious about a few things, as most of my questions were found in your archives or easily researched by myself.

Last edited by 2farsouth; 04-13-2011 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2farsouth View Post
I think this is like my 4th post, so I have given it a lot of thought and would like to know two things. Does anyone know if Dickmans meats handle cheese curds? (I understand the owner is a cheesehead) and would any self respecting resident from Tucson ever get caught at Taco Bell?

Just curious about a few things, as most of my questions were found in your archives or easily researched by myself.
Don't know about Dickman's and Cheese, but here is the link with contact info. Just call and ask. Dickman's Meat and Deli

I love Taco Bell, but I just consider it another form of junk food-fast food, not mexican food. If I want mexican food I go elswhere, Nico's or Chipotle, lots of local places to choose from, all a little different..

Old 04-14-2011, 07:39 AM

Thank you, Rick.
I have the Dickman's link and wondered about cheese curds. I don't know if the locals there are familiar with them, but I am originally from Minnesota and we have a close friendship/rivalry with the state of Wisconsin. We go there to fish, buy the great cheeses they have and generally hang out. They come to Minn. for work, go to clubs etc. 40% of my crew at work was from Wisconsin.
As for Taco Bell, I have been living in Mexico for the last 5 yrs. (hence the 2farsouth name) and when I said the other night talking to other ex-pats that I most wanted an American cheeseburger and pizza when I get back, the majority said Taco Bell was the place they most wanted to visit, Go figure. haha I've become a little weary of tacos myself.
Thanks, Mike.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 AM

748 posts, read 754,324 times
2farsouth,

Not sure how I even happened on this post (pretty much a random act) - and I have also given a lot of thought about responding...

But I also love cheese curds. When I was in collage (thousands of years ago), I worked in a cheese factory in Northern Utah near the Idaho border. I was on the Swiss cheese line and my job was to scrape the outsides off these 300 pound blocks. When a really great block came through (you can tell by the shape and size of the "holes"), we would sample a little bit. This place also had super fresh cheese curds and I couldnt help having some for lunch every day.

I think for about six weeks, I ate nothing but PRIMO Swiss cheese and cheese curds - just wasn’t hungry after work. I wont go into any detail about the bowl regularity this sort of diet has.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
2farsouth,

I think for about six weeks, I ate nothing but PRIMO Swiss cheese and cheese curds - just wasn’t hungry after work. I wont go into any detail about the bowl regularity this sort of diet has.

Yes, "I wont go into any detail about the bowl regularity this sort of diet has." or lack there of. lol
Before I left the area, the good people of Wisc. had gotten very creative with curds and I loved the "Hot" varieties and the smoked was good also. They also had a small town with home made horseradish sauces and hot coarse ground German style mustard that added a whole new level to the term "Hot!!" I really miss "real brauts 'n kraut with hot mustard. Atleast I can substitute with the Sonoran dogs in Tucson. Here we have street vendors with their own version, but the dogs in Tucson, rock!

Mike

Old 04-14-2011, 02:09 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,480,869 times
Default Cheese Curds and Brats

Ok, I couldn't resist. Curiosity got the best of me. I was in town today and was in the neighborhood of Dickman's so I decided to stop in for lunch. Have not been there in many years.
1. Had the best Turkey/Bacon/Cheese sandwich I have ever had in my life!.
2. Yes they do have chesse curds,
3. Yes they also have Wisconsin Brats.
For those that are unfamiliar with Dickman's, it is a local owned old fashioned type meet market/deli atmoshpere. A few tables to sit down and eat. Carry highest quality meats etc. Even carry some Kobe beef. If you have any off the wall meat or poultry needs Dickman's would be the place to check first. Also have a wide assortment of meat rubs/poultry seasonings etc.

2farSouth - when you hit town give me a shout and I will tell you where to go for the best Sonoroan dogs in town. I've tried em all!

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 04-14-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 AM

Sounds like a plan, RickTucsonHomes, I am keyed to get to Tucson (as soon as I sell my house). I have spent some time there and I've researched for better than a year. I'm excited about finding Midwest beef in Tucson. I took the quality for granted when i lived in the Midwest, but in the last 5 yrs, I have eaten a lot of poor quality beef, in both the US and in Mexico and Central America.
I also crave Tex-Mex and American BBQ. I'm going to have to be real careful about the midsection girth, I'm afraid!! Also you have no idea what passes for Chinese and Italian food in some of the places I've been. It defies description. haha

Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,649,025 times
I haven't thought about cheese curds in decades, but I remember spending some college breaks with a friend's family in Sherbrooke, Quebec and having Poutine. It's potato wedges with a special sauce called Poutine and cheese curds. I went online and found I can buy packages of Poutine sauce mix from a place in Montreal, but to get cheese curds was something I never thought I'd be able to do. So, now Dickman's is on my list so I can make Poutine. Thanks 2farsouth for bringing this up and reminding me of something I loved!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Your very welcome Marcy. I found Dickmans while checking out Frys, Safeway etc. to get a feel as to the cost of groceries in Tucson. Funny you mention Poutine, my wife is half Canadian and talked about it all the time. I never had it and then one day I wandered into the tourist section of town and found a restaurant named "Twisted Mamas", well I couldn't resist checking it out. It is run by a lady from Canada and she had Poutine on the menu, so I gave it a try. Wow! A real treat! Somewhat like what we called Wet fries back home, but much better! Goes well with a chilled Pacifico. Probably not a good thing to make a habit of tho'. haha

Old 04-21-2011, 07:15 PM

748 posts, read 754,324 times
Welll... I had to look up a recipe for Sonoran dogs and I also recently have been messing with this little old wood stove that has been in a garage for many years near where Marcy 1210 used to live (Elevenmile Res in Colorado).

So.. we for diinner tonight, we made Sonoran dogs. And of course, we had to cook them on this little old wood stove.

Changed over to a little "hotter" method of cooking

Wards made wood stoves? I know nothing about this wood stove.. but its cool! Made some great Sonoran dogs.. family liked them!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson