Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 PM

351 posts, read 663,844 times

Advertisements

I live in Phoenix and might move to Tucson because the air is ten times cleaner, a little cooler, less people and traffic, I don't have to walk my dog at 5 AM to beat the air pollution and can work in my yard all year around because I am retired and don't want to move to the snow and get stuck in the house. Tucson is close to Mexico so I think it might be a good move to buy a house there. I want to be close to the VA hospital but I don't know anything about Tucson except what I get from the Internet so where might be a good place and I don't want to send over $135K for a house? I know in Phoenix you can go to Home Depot and get labors, can you get labors at Home Depot in Tucson?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by lostsoul62; 06-11-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 PM

444 posts, read 1,346,195 times
You're going to start a whole hellfire on here with the "labors" stuff. It's a very divisive issue in the state and tends to bring out rants on online forums such as this. Best to just figure it out when you get here.

In regards to your question on housing, it sounds like you mainly want to be by the VA Hospital. That's on the near south side of town, but it's not a very good area to live in.
$135k will buy you something really nice right now. Even a house that doesn't need any work done on it. The further you get out of the city into the suburbs, the more your money will buy.
If you're retired and you want that sort of community where it's mostly all retirees and there are organized events and clubs geared toward retirees, you may want to consider an age-restricted community. Green Valley and Quail Creek are both south of the city and the people living there seem to like it. Closer to Mexico down there too...

Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 PM

461 posts, read 1,307,522 times
I lived in Phoenix for about a year and came back to the Tucson area for the same reasons you cited. Check out Green Valley. I think you would like it. I have lived there and now Sahuarita for the past few years. you will have small town living about 20 min south of Tucson and not too far from the VA. You should definitely find a decent house or townhouse with your budget in GV. Quail Creek is great but definitely way over your budget.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 PM

351 posts, read 969,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I live in Phoenix and might move to Tucson because the air is ten times cleaner, a little cooler, less people and traffic, I don't have to walk my dog at 5 AM to beat the air pollution and can work in my yard all year around because I am retired and don't want to move to the snow and get stuck in the house. Tucson is close to Mexico so I think it might be a good move to buy a house there. I want to be close to the VA hospital but I don't know anything about Tucson except what I get from the Internet so where might be a good place and I don't want to send over $135K for a house? I know in Phoenix you can go to Home Depot and get labors, can you get labors at Home Depot in Tucson?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
You can get laborers at the Home Depot in Wisconsin. It's not exactly uncommon. I had guys walk up to me asking if I had work for them at the Home Depot on Irvington.

If you want to live anywhere south of I10, you definitely would be better off the further south you go. Avoid the Drexel / South Tucson areas. Green Valley is 30 minutes south of down town on I19. It's a giant retirement community with all kinds of active retirement options. Rancho Sahuarita is a bit to the to the north and is a younger community with more of a yuppie population. East and west of Sahuarita you can find some larger lots and land (if your interested in that kind of thing). Further east is Corona Del Tucson, but that starts getting pretty far from the VA hospital, and housing there is pretty expensive. Optionally you can go north of I10. Anything north of River Rd. in Tucson would be nice. There are also some nice neighborhoods west of Tucson along the Ajo Hwy. If you don't mind a small house, look at Tucson Estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson