U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 25,345 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm moving from Cochise to Pima county and I found the perfect house in Sahuarita. Everything is right with it and there's absolutely no negatives. As soon as I stepped onto the property, I knew I wanted it. Well, there's no negative, except one thing. It's in rural Sahuarita and there's a water tank on the property that provides water, instead of a well, well-share, or city water.

At first I was open to this idea, though I do consider it a major drawback. Every house I saw on the street also had water tanks and I figured it couldn't be that bad. I thought it was pretty inconvenient to have a tank filled every month- but what can you do when everything else about the house is so wonderful?

However, I called Helmet Peak Water, who hauls the water to the property currently and their prices have scared me. $38 dollars for 1,000 gallons of water. I've done some research last night and this morning and the average household seems to use about 100 gallons a day. That would mean I would be paying $38 every ten days!!! That seems a little outrageous. That's $152 a month for a *water bill*. Nevermind I have animals and it could be quite a bit more than that. What do people with horses do out there? Isn't one of the reasons people more rurally is to have a few acres for their horses? I feel like I'm missing something.

I also was so excited about having a garden and I don't see how that's possible now with water being what it is. I've gotten so upset about it, I'm considering not signing the contract on the house today.

Does anyone here haul water in Sahuarita? What is it like? Do you just forget about it after awhile? Do you think the prices are too high or am I missing something? Will there ever be city water available? I've heard a well is out of the question.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 PM

69 posts, read 203,721 times
I would consider water cachement in combination with hauling water. That water could be "treated and used for consumption, washing clothes, bathing, or, just used for the animals and whatever garden you may have. Seperate tank needed for that though. "Cachement" is used with great success but water conservation is a must!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:42 PM

How much water can you catch in an area with such little rainfall?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 PM

66 posts, read 139,601 times
100 gallons a day seems abusive to me (for out here). My husband and I (and our 2 large dogs and 2 cats) have been dry camping in our RV which only has a 90 gal. capacity for 5-6 days without an issue. You learn how to conserve when water is scarce. It means changing your water fixtures to low flow, learning how to wash dishes efficiently, having a very efficient front loading washer that uses little water, taking short "military" style showers, etc. If we wanted to worry less about it - we could easily live comfortably and use 90 gallons every 3 days. We would probably go through 1.5 deliveries a month (maybe 2 max if we were lazy).

If we put a recapture system in, we would expect to gather lots of rainwater in July/August and a little bit here and there in other months. It's not enough to avoid water delivery - but would certainly cut down expenses.

What I would be more concerned with is resale. Water delivery scares most people off because they don't know how to conserve.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 AM

351 posts, read 905,632 times
Yea.. there is a reason nobody has lush green gardens out there.

It sounds like drilling a well in your area isn't an option due to mining or a contaminated water supply, so your alternatives will be expensive. It's definitely something to consider when buying land out here.

$38 per 1000 gallons isn't a horrible price if you consider the time, labor, maintenance and energy (gasoline) that goes into delivering that much potable water. An alternative would be to buy your own potable water trailer and tow it yourself. But then you have to figure in the cost associated with the trailer, maintaining it, figuring out where to fill it, and how much it will cost to fill it. Do you have a 1/2 ton to 1 ton truck you can tow it with?

A rain/waste water harvesting system is really the best option to irrigate a semi-arid garden, but it's expensive to install even if you do the work yourself, and it definitely wont give you enough water to make a lush green garden happy.

Since we're on the topic, it's a horrible idea to waste potable water to irrigate a garden in Tucson. I would never expect to have a lush green eastern-US style garden here. You should move to the eastern US if you want that, or at least to some place close to a flowing river!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,587,515 times
Default Wells

There are plenty of existing wells in the Green Valley / Sahuarita area. I don't know about the particular area you are looking at though or if they may have restrictions on new ones. But digging a well is certainly not cheap either! Here is a great link for well information, Arizona Department of Water Resources.
All that red you see on the well registry map are individual wells in the state. Use the zoom in and pan feature to navigate around. As you zoom in the mass of red eventually become indiviual dots. These represent indvidual wells. You can click on any individual well and get all kinds of information, who the owner is, how deep the well is, how deep till they hit water, size of casing, type of casing, who dug the well etc. Great website to use if you are thinking about digging a well. You can look at the well closest to your subject property and see how deep they had to drill, and give you a ballpark idea of how deep you might need to drill.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 05-05-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM

42,835 posts, read 84,707,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyelement View Post
100 gallons a day seems abusive to me (for out here). My husband and I (and our 2 large dogs and 2 cats) have been dry camping in our RV which only has a 90 gal. capacity for 5-6 days without an issue. You learn how to conserve when water is scarce. It means changing your water fixtures to low flow, learning how to wash dishes efficiently, having a very efficient front loading washer that uses little water, taking short "military" style showers, etc. If we wanted to worry less about it - we could easily live comfortably and use 90 gallons every 3 days. We would probably go through 1.5 deliveries a month (maybe 2 max if we were lazy).

If we put a recapture system in, we would expect to gather lots of rainwater in July/August and a little bit here and there in other months. It's not enough to avoid water delivery - but would certainly cut down expenses.
That's all fine and dandy push come to shove, but why would anybody CHOOSE to live in such a way...?!

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Kimballette; 05-05-2011 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Thank you so much for this map. It seems like there's water between 200-390 feet in the area I'm looking at that most wells are drilled to 500 and feet. I may have to have one drilled later this year.

And no I will not move to the East Coast. And no I do not expect a lush garden. Just one similar to the one I already have going in Cochise County.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM

69 posts, read 203,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's all fine and dandy push come to shove, but why would anybody CHOOSE to live in such a way...?!

Moderator cut: rude
Probably because water is such a precious commodity that people should conserve water no matter their situation!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 6,765,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incitatus1 View Post
Hello, I'm moving from Cochise to Pima county and I found the perfect house in Sahuarita. Everything is right with it and there's absolutely no negatives. As soon as I stepped onto the property, I knew I wanted it. Well, there's no negative, except one thing. It's in rural Sahuarita and there's a water tank on the property that provides water, instead of a well, well-share, or city water.

Does anyone here haul water in Sahuarita? What is it like? Do you just forget about it after awhile? Do you think the prices are too high or am I missing something? Will there ever be city water available? I've heard a well is out of the question.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Please limit your comments to this person's questions, which are specific to Sahuarita. This thread is not the place to discuss ecological issues or anything aside from these specific questions. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson