Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 PM

9 posts, read 17,137 times

Advertisements

Although I am not living in tucson yet I have visited several times and back in 2005 I lived there for a few months and I must say although the temp reads high, the humidity in kansas makes for a much more miserable summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:01 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,969,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Yes, as I have said, it is like winter back in NH except that it is cold morning, noon, and night. Atleast here even on the hottest days you can be outside morning, noon, or night; morning and night being not so bad. In winter back in NH it is 20 degrees in the morning, 25 at noon, and 15 at night.....don't want to be out at any time of day.
Great, what keeps you busy between midnight and 8 am? Perhaps you better clarify where in NH you are. According to Weather Underground, Concord shows an average high around 30 lasting just a month before turning warmer. Tucson can exceed 100 for at least twice to three times that duration.

Average High/Low Temperatures for KCON : Weather Underground

Old 06-05-2011, 01:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,226,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Great, what keeps you busy between midnight and 8 am? Perhaps you better clarify where in NH you are. According to Weather Underground, Concord shows an average high around 30 lasting just a month before turning warmer. Tucson can exceed 100 for at least twice to three times that duration.

LOL
Well, I know I'd GLADLY take 3 months with highs around 100 rather than 3 months with highs in the 30's and lows in the TEENS - and I suspect the poster in question will tell you the same.

Ken

Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,131,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post

As the thread title indicates, the topic is the o/p's perspective on the heat in Tucson. He doesn't have to justify or prove anything to you. You're entitled to your opinion. Just as he is. There's no need to argue or adopt a condescending attitude. Just move on.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,657,170 times
The heat without the humidity is definitely different.
I was lucky and grew up in what was classed a Mediterranean climate north of SF near the Napa Valley.
I first came to AZ in '67 with the Army. We could tell the difference in heat from Sierra Vista where I was stationed at Fort Huachuca but it was not too bad with some exceptions.
I have however found over the years as I have aged that I don't tolerate the heat as well as when I was younger.
Now when it hits around 95-100° I want to be in the shade.
And watch that sun OP. If you burn easily this desert sun can do things to you skin that you may not notice right away and lead to some skin cancers.
I know many that loved the sun and did not worry about it and within a few years their skin showed the difference. Use a sun block and be safe.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:36 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,555,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, but as former East Coaster I can say with considerable certainty that even during the Monsoons the humidity is not nearly as uncomfortable as it is back East - even taking the higher temps into account.

Ken
Excellent point, Ken . . . I agree 100%. I have not forgotten those Dog Days of Summer along the Atlantic Coast when the relative humidity was the same if not higher than the temperature.

However, after June's 3 to 7% average, even the 20's and 30's seems a little on the high side by comparison.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:35 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,657,170 times
I have not spent a whole lot of time on the east coast except for a 13 day stint at a sub base just north of the Fl border to do some repairs. It was humid and hot compared to where I came from and the bugs were bad too.
When my base closed it looked like they wanted to send me there to work for good and I told them no and retired early.
I also had a chance to be stationed in GA with the Army as my unit was being transferred there in the 60s. I turned that down too and transferred to another unit.
I had talked to many that had been stationed there and just didn't like it.
I just don't think I would like high humidity unless it's much cooler like in the NW.
I have lived there several times and you just get tired of the cold and damp but at least you could dress for it.
Many retirees come to AZ for many reasons. I have met many that settled at first in the Tucson or Phoenix vicinity and found that the heat was just too much for them, others like it.
Here at elevation in Prescott I meet many that moved to get the four seasons back without hard extremes.
When I lived in Cochise County it was much the same way. Slower paces in both towns compared to the bigger cities too.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM

351 posts, read 969,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
I hope this thought will be useful to those asking the question "is the heat in Tucson really that bad?". My answer is no, it is not.
I love the heat here. Personally, I think the Tucson winters are a bit too long! I lived in Houston for 4 years and was drenched in sweat during those sweltering 95F days there. If you keep a water bottle handy and have access to some shade, it's not bad at all in Tucson.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 PM

9 posts, read 17,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
I love the heat here. Personally, I think the Tucson winters are a bit too long! I lived in Houston for 4 years and was drenched in sweat during those sweltering 95F days there. If you keep a water bottle handy and have access to some shade, it's not bad at all in Tucson.

Im excited to be there!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 PM

396 posts, read 921,729 times
This thread is reassuring. I think I'll be one of those people who are out as much as possible even when it is hot. I'm thinking if I was able to play basketball in low 90's with high humidity in Chicago, Tucson's heat won't bother me (plus no bugs or excessive sweat).

I getting pretty stoked to be moving to Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson