Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,842 times

Advertisements

Hi All, and Happy 4th!

I am moving to Tucson within the next two weeks, and was wondering if anyone has some specific advice/suggestions on where to look (as a young professional female who doesn't know the Tucson area too well, yet). I will be spending the bulk of my time working between TMC and UMC, but I'm having some difficulty getting a feel for any neighborhoods in that area that are both safe and inhabited by a lot of young professionals. I've read that as far as safety goes, Sam Hughes, Blenman Elm, and right around River are all good areas, but I'm not sure if those are where I should be looking for a one bedroom/to have some life around. Ideally, I'd love to find something with either wood/tile/concrete flooring, and would like to spend around 600, but realize that these may be impractical hopes. I'd love to get some recommendations on any or all of the above; thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:12 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,394 times
the closer you get to the foothills (base of catalina mtns, etc) the more $$$ a place will cost. lots of apt places running specials to get biz these days, so you'll need to look around. you should be able to find a nice place for $600/mo minus utilities, etc.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-04-2011 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: off topic - this is the Tucson forum and the o/p asked about Tucson

Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Unfortunately, Irishbliss . . . the closer you get to the "excitement" the less safe the neighborhoods become.

I live near River and Stone and there are a number of safe and clean apartment complexes (River Road from Oracle to Campbell) which I believe are within your budget. There are plenty of restaurants, shopping and even a great walking, jogging and bike trail that runs along the river.

Good Luck

Old 07-05-2011, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,842 times
Home_Kid and Bummer: Thanks so much for your prompt and helpful responses!!

Home_Kid, good thinking on summer deals to amp up business....will definitely look into those. I'm also thrilled to hear that you don't believe it to be an unrealistic aspiration to try and find something that meets my preferences in that price range!

Bummer, thank you for giving me the specific crossroad parameters to look into. That's exactly what I'm needing right now, so I really appreciate it. From what you described about the River area, it sounds like it would really offer me a solid combination of safety and things to do (I had no clue there were nice paths there--I was spoiled with tons of those in Providence, RI, where I attended college, but didn't know if I'd find too many trails right near any complexes in Tucson without going a little ways out). As I look further into rentals in that area, I may need to post for some more feedback, as appropriate (as anyone can see, I'm new to this site so thanks for bearing with me

Hope everybody had an enjoyable 4th!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:33 PM

344 posts, read 642,843 times
Hi. Look in the area around St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church across the street from the UA Hospital. If you go North of Elm, near the Arizona Inn you will find a goodly number of homes owned by retired Uof A prof's.
Oh, try Casa Molina on Campbell just North of Grant.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:23 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishbliss View Post
Home_Kid and Bummer: Thanks so much for your prompt and helpful responses!!

Bummer, thank you for giving me the specific crossroad parameters to look into. That's exactly what I'm needing right now, so I really appreciate it. From what you described about the River area, it sounds like it would really offer me a solid combination of safety and things to do (I had no clue there were nice paths there--I was spoiled with tons of those in Providence, RI, where I attended college, but didn't know if I'd find too many trails right near any complexes in Tucson without going a little ways out). As I look further into rentals in that area, I may need to post for some more feedback, as appropriate (as anyone can see, I'm new to this site so thanks for bearing with me
You are most welcome, Irishbliss.

I'm fairly confident you will be able to find an apartment along River Road that will fit your needs and still be within in your budget.

Another point to keep in mind is commuting in Tucson which can be a bear at times so you don't want to wander too far from your place of employment. Also, I would avoid living too close to the University of Arizona as "keggers" and block parties are fun but not when you need to get up at the crack of dawn . . . or worse yet, NOT invited.

Good Luck on your Home Search and holler if you need more help.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 24,028 times
This is a good time to move, especially with you looking for a home near the UofA/UMC, with students out for summer there are a lot of options. If you havent found a place yet also try looking in the Arizona Daily Wildcat Online classifieds.arizona.edu. There are many properties listed.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:10 PM

8 posts, read 20,495 times
I agree. River between Stone & Campbell Would be a good option. Sam Hughes is AWESOME but can be expensive. Have you considered renting a two or three bedroom and getting a roommate?

Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,753 times
Also, it wouldn't hurt to ask the apt. complex for a discount. I'm sure some are really hurting for tenants! Most offer discounts to military/law enforcement. Maybe they offer one for medical care workers? Agree with the others...stick with River Rd or even further north if you are willing to drive a little longer. I had a friend who lived in La Reserve Villas in Oro Valley and it was really nice with great hiking nearby. If you are interested in the foothills, I used to live at Pinnacle Canyon and really liked it. Not sure what the current rates are though. La Reserve for my friend was around $700.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 PM

444 posts, read 1,351,894 times
Find a place in Blenman-Elm or, if you can afford it, Sam Hughes.
The River Road area is nice but I know what you're looking for with a "life" and there's just none of that there. It's chain restaurants, big box stores and only a few bars, but nothing to get excited about. We lived in that area for a little over a year and enjoyed the quiet, the scenery and the house we lived in. But we had moved from Blenman-Elm, where we used to walk to meet people at bars, bike to campus for work or to go to events, bike Downtown for things, etc. The biking was possible in the later house, but it was over 2x the distance, so we ended up driving most of the time, which just sort of pushed the domestication along. Then again, I guess that's what we were going for up there...
But, if I had to choose between the two areas again, I would definitely choose Blenman-Elm. I just would choose to spend more money on the rental and get a nicer, better place there.

But, good lord, do not move to Oro Valley! I've met so many young professional types who've moved to Tucson and moved into an apartment complex in OV because they got the idea that everything in the city was awful, and they hated it and moved closer to town the next year after their lease ran out. If you're looking for family-friendly, it's great, but I don't think that's what you want.
Watch out for large apartment complexes also. They're usually overpriced, have issues with crime (because they can't keep occupancy up, so they lax their standards) and don't offer the same character that small complexes and houses have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson