U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM

119 posts, read 277,004 times

Advertisements

In 30 days my wife and I will be setting up our recently bought Oro Valley home. We both like fast Internet. We are hoping someone here would know the best provider in Oro Valley for our service?. THANKS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,538,622 times
I have Comcast High Speed, it's as fast as I ever need for anything. Not a gamer, but for everything thing I need for work or pleasure web surfing etc. it is faster than I am! Have only needed them to come out for service once in the last ten years or so. Been very reliable overall.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 AM

351 posts, read 884,432 times
I used Cox in Oro Valley when I lived there. Best service in my oppinion.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 AM

444 posts, read 1,258,343 times
Cable in OV and Marana is completely Comcast. Your other choice is Qwest DSL.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,538,622 times
additional info, my download speed usually runs in the range of 11000 to 15000 kbps throughout the day.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 PM

339 posts, read 771,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecurd View Post
In 30 days my wife and I will be setting up our recently bought Oro Valley home. We both like fast Internet. We are hoping someone here would know the best provider in Oro Valley for our service?. THANKS!
I have Qwest/Century Link DSL internet, (Qwest just changed to Century link), I like it, I have 40megs at a special price of $39.99 for a year. I use it to watch streaming on Netflix and other things too. I don't know about Comcast internet. I have Comcast cable because I was more interested in getting the internet before cable when I first moved here and got internet through Qwest before realizing I could only get cable through Comcast, but I like Qwest and the speed and price so I decided to keep Qwest.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 PM

119 posts, read 277,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
I have Qwest/Century Link DSL internet, (Qwest just changed to Century link), I like it, I have 40megs at a special price of $39.99 for a year. I use it to watch streaming on Netflix and other things too. I don't know about Comcast internet. I have Comcast cable because I was more interested in getting the internet before cable when I first moved here and got internet through Qwest before realizing I could only get cable through Comcast, but I like Qwest and the speed and price so I decided to keep Qwest.
40megs isnt that much! Do you meen 40GB?

Old 08-22-2011, 05:07 PM

8,875 posts, read 15,042,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
I live two miles from the border of Oro Valley in unincorporated Pima Co. I, too, have CenturyTel (formerly Qwest) DSL and I'm happy with it. In six years I've had three occasions to call tech customer service (usually new equipment) and although I was speaking to someone in India the technicians were always unfailingly pleasant, easy to understand. and very patient. Each time I've called them they always asked me about my modem speed and offered to run checks to optimize my service.

My brother who lives nearby has Comcast and he seems to get good service, too. Both of us have our respective DSLs bundled with other services, so it's hard to compare prices. My bundle is telephone-satellite related, while my brother is paying enormous sums to Comcast Cable for HD premium channels and movie entertainment for a house full of teenagers, so he ought to be getting his DSL practically for free.

I'd advise comparing packages of everything you might be wanting tech-wise to get the best price. Although CenturyTel doesn't offer cable TV, they can bundle the DirecTV satellite into your package. Another piece of advise -- don't say yes to someone's first offer. Call them back and say, "Can you do better?" ... they usually can.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:26 AM

4,923 posts, read 7,860,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I live two miles from the border of Oro Valley in unincorporated Pima Co. I, too, have CenturyTel (formerly Qwest) DSL and I'm happy with it. In six years I've had three occasions to call tech customer service (usually new equipment) and although I was speaking to someone in India the technicians were always unfailingly pleasant, easy to understand. and very patient. Each time I've called them they always asked me about my modem speed and offered to run checks to optimize my service.

My brother who lives nearby has Comcast and he seems to get good service, too. Both of us have our respective DSLs bundled with other services, so it's hard to compare prices. My bundle is telephone-satellite related, while my brother is paying enormous sums to Comcast Cable for HD premium channels and movie entertainment for a house full of teenagers, so he ought to be getting his DSL practically for free.

I'd advise comparing packages of everything you might be wanting tech-wise to get the best price. Although CenturyTel doesn't offer cable TV, they can bundle the DirecTV satellite into your package. Another piece of advise -- don't say yes to someone's first offer. Call them back and say, "Can you do better?" ... they usually can.
I'm in Oro Valley on the East side up in the foothills and I'm bundled with CenturyLink (was Qwest last month ). I have a landline with unlimited LD; DSL, Directv and Verizon. With Directv I also have the Choice package for the movies and subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings. My whole monthly bill this month which included my last payment for MLB and my first payment for NFL, a comprehensive sports package (with all FS Teams, Root Sports, ALT, MTN, NFL, CBSCS, and more), DSL, landline and Verizon was $323.00. Next month it'll be $33.39 less since I get Root Sports and all the FoxSports regional networks, so I won't need MLB anymore and my bill should be about $274.00/mo for all four services.

I have absolutely no idea what my DSL speed is, but I upgraded at the end of last year, so it should be okay. I don't know how you find out your speed...

I'm happy with Qwest/CenturyLink because of the bundling. Plus, we had the Mtn. Bell, to Qwest and whatever other companies they were in between for 30 years, and have never had a problem. If for no other reason it makes bill paying easier when it's all one bill...

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 PM

339 posts, read 771,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecurd View Post
40megs isnt that much! Do you meen 40GB?
Oh it might be I don't know, I just know it's really fast and lets me stream movies from Netflix like I'm watching TV. It's fast enough for me to do everything I want to do. The regular price would be $69.99/month without the special deal I signed up for for a year, I hope I can resign for the same deal next year. Comcast doesn't offer that from what I have seen on their website. It's funny, I called Qwest on my birthday to see if they recieved my payment or to ask a question or something like that and she offerred me that deal, so that was a nice birthday present. Hahah! So I know on my next birthday to try to get the same deal again, fingers crossed. Before that my speed was 7 and I was paying like $35.99 so I went from 7 to 40 for just $4 more. So that was a good deal. I have just internet without a home phone because I use my cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson