Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:42 AM

39 posts, read 159,494 times

Advertisements

Job would be in Eloy (federal position) and I want the shortest commute possible. Tuscon would move the commute closer to an hour. I'd like to keep in the 30-40 min range. How are the views in Marana? Mountains, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:27 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander in AZ View Post
Job would be in Eloy (federal position) and I want the shortest commute possible. Tuscon would move the commute closer to an hour. I'd like to keep in the 30-40 min range. How are the views in Marana? Mountains, etc.?
In this case, the choice would depend more on your lifestyle (I don't know how rents compare in both places). If you like going out in the evening and meeting more people, I'd say Marana (well, when I say Marana I mean Tucson) is a better choice. I have a coworker who lives in Marana and commutes to the East side every day. You can certainly go out 2 or 3 nights Mon-Fri if you like doing it. Besides, there are plenty of places to go without having to be too far from Marana.

If you're content staying mostly at home during the week, then you can live in Casa Grande and spend your weekends in Phoenix since Casa Grande is very close, but not close enough to Phoenix as to go there every day, particularly when you work in Eloy in the opposite direction. Some people wouldn't give it a second thought and would go to Phoenix often, but since the commute time is important to you, sounds like you're not one of them. If I were you, I'd pick Marana, but if the shortest commute to work is your top priority, then Casa Grande is obviously closer.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 AM

I definitely would want to rent for a while. I would be coming from MI and there's no way I'd buy a house without being comfortable living in AZ first.

Obviously, there's no way I'd live in Eloy. I hear good things about Tuscon, well at least all but southern Tuscon. I'd like to be within 20 mins from grocery shopping, Target, Home Depot, etc. Decent restaurants and perhaps a couple chain restaurants (Fridays, Chilis, etc.) would be nice. I would like to buy decent clothes that I don't have to mail order (Banana Republic, J. Crew, Ralph Lauren, etc.) and a men's shop for nice suits. A few decent bars would be nice. Safety is also a huge concern. I don't want to have to worry about people breaking into my Jeep or my apt and I definitely don't want to worry about gangs. I am also still somewhat young (28) so I don't want to confine myself to a senior citizen area or one that is almost all older married couples.

I know some of this may not be possible out away from the large cities in AZ, but I have to keep in mind my commute time. My Wrangler gets about 17 miles per gallon and I don't want to spend all of my money on gas just driving to and from work. Oh, and I know it's not really possible, but any area with fewer scorps and rattlers would be preferred as well. This might not be possible outside a super large city like Phoenix. God, I am asking for a lot. If it weren't for the possibility of increasing my salary by 60%, I might think Arizona wouldn't be the best place for me.

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:11 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I don't quite get it... Marana pretty much IS Tucson. So, if you're gonna live in Tucson, why would you insist on Marana...
Good question, Sierra

I believe Michigander is seeking a "commute compromise" with his relocation. While Northern Marana may not be perfect, it would be his best bet for commuting to Eloy during the week while still being fairly convenient to the "Big City Life of Tucson" (note the quotes as I am comparing it to Casa Grande and Eloy, NOT New York City or Los Angeles) for shopping and dining, etc. ! ! !

Bottom line . . . a 28 year-old single male would probably go "bonkers" any further north.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:23 AM

So, I will be checking out both CG and Marana next Friday with an initial bias towards the latter. I watched the Town of Marana video online which talked about completion of the Town Center with shops and "loft apartments." I have lived in a loft before, I would definitely be interested in that type of set up.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:53 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good question, Sierra

I believe Michigander is seeking a "commute compromise" with his relocation. While Northern Marana may not be perfect, it would be his best bet for commuting to Eloy during the week while still being fairly convenient to the "Big City Life of Tucson" (note the quotes as I am comparing it to Casa Grande and Eloy, NOT New York City or Los Angeles) for shopping and dining, etc. ! ! !

Bottom line . . . a 28 year-old single male would probably go "bonkers" any further north.

That's my point, too... Tell me about the big city life of Tucson... But still there's no comparison to Casa Grande. The only advantage of Casa Grande would be the close proximity to Phoenix, but you can't fight traffic constantly to use what Phoenix has to offer, which God knows is not that much more than Tucson anyway.

I think there are apartment complexes in Oro Valley, too, aren't there? They ought to be nice and safe.

Michiganger, the bottom line is Marana is not known for being the most fun place in the world and it's not a bustling singles scene, that's for sure, but there are stores, restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc. nearby. For more/better choices, you'll have to drive farther into Tucson. Life is one compromise after another... AZ may not be your ideal landscape and lifestyle, but considering the depressed economy of Michigan, it's probably not too bad of an option. Most of us can't afford our first choices.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Most of us can't afford our first choices.
I know, because I think my first choice in AZ would be Flagstaff. But that'd be one helluva commute to Eloy. Guess, I'll settle for going "bonkers."

Old 08-17-2007, 04:27 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander in AZ View Post
I know, because I think my first choice in AZ would be Flagstaff. But that'd be one helluva commute to Eloy. Guess, I'll settle for going "bonkers."
Going "bonkers," Michigander? ! ! ! !

Who knows . . . you may like it after all.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:56 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,296 times
Gee, try being in your early 50s and single...28 should be a breeze.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 PM

430 posts, read 1,263,692 times
Michigander, hi there, fellow ex-Michigander here....Marana (city limits proper) around the Ina Rd. area West of I-10 is a good area. There are some new housing developments out that way and some do rentals....it's close enough to Tucson to be handy, but far away enough to enjoy some peace and quiet. Unfortunately, traffic is what traffic is in Tucson. Our infastructure has not kept up with our growth sad to say.

Good luck with your search! And, an early welcome to Tucson....

O.Nana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson