Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 AM

119 posts, read 293,146 times

Advertisements

12 speed cameras planned, mostly for northwest side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 06:14 AM

Just an extra tax on drivers. Step 1 - lower the speed limit. Step 2 - issue tickets Step 3 get lots of money!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecurd View Post
Just an extra tax on drivers. Step 1 - lower the speed limit. Step 2 - issue tickets Step 3 get lots of money!
WRONG . . . WRONG . . . WRONG, Cheesecurd.

Hang up the cell phone, stop eating or drinking and pay attention to your driving, including the speed limits, and this would be a NON ISSUE.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 PM

190 posts, read 618,271 times
Whether or not speeding is right or wrong I do believe the cameras are purely for financial gain. Again I generally don't speed but do believe it is unfair.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:53 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

Hang up the cell phone, stop eating or drinking and pay attention to your driving, including the speed limits, and this would be a NON ISSUE.
It's not very humanly possible to maintain a speed limit. If the camera gives a ticket for 1+ mph over, people will drive 5+ mph under the limit to compensate. In my city's school zones (where we have the cameras, and I agree with them there) I try to maintain 15 mph and yet still have difficulty staying under 20 mph throughout the zone.

Another issue with the cameras is when the private camera company gets 80% or whatever of the amount, so that the basic ticket is $475. The cameras can drive down house values when people move out or won't move in. I think the #1 reason some cities are big on the cameras is because they're getting a large upfront payment for a multi-year contract from the private vendor, who stands to make megabucks in profit. Then the politicians can get re-elected using their freewheeling spending (or at least preventing some unpopular cutbacks). In these cases the cameras are a net loss to the public, in the long run I think. There's more to this issue than just "the law is the law". The voters should be very wary of them.

Last edited by Jalhop; 09-03-2011 at 12:11 AM..

Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
It might help if they'd post more speed limit signs. Even though Oracle's not on the list, the speed limit changes from 45 to 50 back to 45 again in a couple of places, and if you're not paying attention to reading all the roadsigns, you'll miss the speed limit sign (singular) on the stretch between River up to Oro Valley. I had a cop behind me for a while before I noticed him and I was going 49 in a 45 zone, and he didn't stop me. He actually passed me...so maybe the speed cams will give you a 5mph cushion.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,785 times
The cameras allow the law to be dehumanized and corporatized, and they generate revenue, so it's doubtful there will be a cushion beyond 1 mph. The good cop won't give the ticket at 49 mph because he/she doesn't want to be a jerk.

As someone seriously interested in buying into Tucson, of all the negatives I've read about, a proliferation of speed cameras is suddenly near the top of the list. I've read about this stuff getting really bad in other cities. I've lived in a police state before (Idaho). A for-profit corporate-run police state is even worse.

As the article notes, if it was really for safety they'd be focused on the school zones first. It's obviously not for safety.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:35 AM

126 posts, read 235,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

The problem is that most speed limits are too low.
Example: River Road has a speed limit of 45. It should be 55 on most of the road.
I drive 54 and get passed all of the time; I don't feel that those people passing me are unsafe.

As mentioned before, put the speed cameras in school zones. It would make the 'safety, not revenue' facade more believable.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 PM

77 posts, read 145,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Whether or not speeding is right or wrong I do believe the cameras are purely for financial gain. Again I generally don't speed but do believe it is unfair.
They are usually from Private-Party vendors. IF the money was to off-set the cost of manufacturing and labor and rest to help the specific city.meaning IMPROVING transportation issues. That's ONE THING. - I would then see the point.

But since it is a privatized company, I wonder how much carry-over equity goes to the community. Probably very little incentive. Some Senior Executives of the Company get large cuts and probably give that to the higher-end government officials as a bonus for going through the proposals.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:03 PM

Moderator cut: snip

do you think these type of cameras could cause a INCREACE in collisions at intersections instead of lessening them do to folks stopping at these "Tucson" intersections before the light goes from yellow to red because they are afraid they will get one of these high dollar tickets?

Last edited by Kimballette; 09-15-2011 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation in the forums is not permitted - read the Terms of Service. Also, off topic comments deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson