Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 PM

12 posts, read 22,532 times

Advertisements

Brushfire is as addictive as crack (and a million times more delicious!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 07:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Interesting, if you read the article and then read the comments below, seems this is not exactly the same Mr K"s as down on Park Ave, appears to be some family in-fighting. I have never eaten at the original Mr K's on Park so I can't compare it to the new one. I ate at the new one today on Stone. Had a pulled pork sandwich. The smoke flavor of the pork was awsome. But was very disappointed in the two sauces they had, regular and hot. Both had to much of a ketchup taste to them for my taste buds. When eating BBQ I don't want "ketchup" flavor to enter my brain cells at all. Pulled pork was awesome, but plenty better sauces around town. IMHO. Will have to try Bubb's Grub this weekend and report back!
That's my complaint about Dave's. They have multiple sauce containers on the tables and I didn't like a single one. One even tasted like it was rancid. But, seriously, if Texas is any indicator, you should be able to love BBQ without any sauce. Let me know how you like Bubb's. I'll try the one on Stone. Glad to hear something's gone into that building. That neighborhood seems to have twice the number of restaurants it had when I worked at American Home. I thought we were in a recession.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 09-11-2011 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That's my complaint about Dave's. They have multiple sauce containers on the tables and I didn't like a single one. One even tasted like it was rancid. But, seriously, if Texas is any indicator, you should be able to love BBQ without any sauce. Let me know how you like Bubb's. I'll try the one on Stone. Glad to hear something's gone into that building. That neighborhood seems to have twice the number of restaurants it had when I worked at American Home. I thought we were in a recession.
Your'e absolutely right, in Texas, sauce is a dirty word, they want the meat to stand on it's own, and the meat is beef, not pork. Went out to Catalina and tried Bubbs, ordered the pulled pork. was very good, sauces were both very good. beans were good did not care for their slaw though. The best part of the trip was the barmaid.. One thing I have never found is a place here that makes a good Carolina style BBQ. Any suggestions? I think my September project will be trying all the places that get recomended in here! Need to try Brushfire this week, might try the original Mr K's for comparison to the new Mr K's.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:15 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Your'e absolutely right, in Texas, sauce is a dirty word, they want the meat to stand on it's own, and the meat is beef, not pork. Went out to Catalina and tried Bubbs, ordered the pulled pork. was very good, sauces were both very good. beans were good did not care for their slaw though. The best part of the trip was the barmaid.. One thing I have never found is a place here that makes a good Carolina style BBQ. Any suggestions? I think my September project will be trying all the places that get recomended in here! Need to try Brushfire this week, might try the original Mr K's for comparison to the new Mr K's.
Wow, you are a first-class BBQ hound, Rick. Glad you liked Bubb's -- I'm picky about coleslaw myself and I don't remember theirs as being ... worth remembering. And if WAS good, I'd put it right on a pulled pork sandwich. I'm partial to brisket myself, but I don't turn my nose up at pork. The best BBQ pork I ever had was in a place in Daytona Beach, very near the speedway. I can't for the life of me remember the name. And I don't spend time in Florida these days, so I will probably never go back. Doing a BBQ tour of Memphis remains on my bucket list, however.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmouseaz View Post
Brushfire is as addictive as crack (and a million times more delicious!)
I'm hooked Had to make a crosstown trip today so what better excuse to try Brushfire BBQ. THE BEST pulled pork sandwich I have had outside the state of North Carolina. Have never had one on a toasted bun before, mmmm good. They have four bottles of sauces on the tables. Kept squirting them on my fingertips to sample them, all excellent. Though not on the table they have a Smokey Chipolte BBQ sauce that I had put on my sandwich, had to go ask for an extra cup it was that good. Made me sweat and eyes water a bit, but man was it good . Parking is a little tricky, very crowded little area on Campbell. For those of you on the SE side, they have a new one opening up in about three weeks at 22nd Kold.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
. Doing a BBQ tour of Memphis remains on my bucket list, however.
Wow, nice to know I am not the only one with that wierd obsession. I was planning to start in Texas, go up to KC, then over to Tennessee and the Carolinas.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
JCT

10 posts, read 21,073 times
Man, I'm moving to Tucson after almost 30 years in NYC and these restaurant threads are making me get over my grief over leaving.

We always vacation in the south and BBQ restaurant "crawls" are an important part of every vacation.

JT

Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 PM

532 posts, read 1,176,984 times
Another vote for Brushfire on Campbell and Glenn.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,895 times
Brushfire bbq is the absolute best bbq in tucson besides my own. Service was very prompt and the food was plentiful and delicious. I give it two thumbs up.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonegetter View Post
Brushfire bbq is the absolute best bbq in tucson besides my own. Service was very prompt and the food was plentiful and delicious. I give it two thumbs up.
i cant wait until the new one at 22nd and kolb opens up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson