U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 PM

799 posts, read 2,056,777 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Tucson.
I was there this past weekend...very humid there, by the way...and did not find many condos or townhomes for rent.
The realtors I talked to did not know what school districts their properties were in, either.
Homes seem really expensive, but moreover, rather a permanent thing.
Do people really just move to an area and buy a home or condo just like that? What if your job doesn't work out, or they fire you within your probation period?
I don't want to go into an apartment complex with the neighbors above or below, the small roads leading to the apartments, noisy neighbors, etc. I would want to spend about $1000-1400/ month to rent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 12:14 AM

42,835 posts, read 83,656,085 times
It's humid only during the monsoon season - July & August. It's almost over. Very dry the rest of the year.

school districts boundaries - School District Maps (http://www.schools.pima.gov/school_districts/default.htm - broken link)

The best school districts from what I hear (don't have kids) are Catalina Foothills and Vail.

school ratings - Tucson Schools

rentals - tucson apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

And Google will tell you a lot more - just like he told me!

Old 08-19-2007, 12:17 AM

9,529 posts, read 29,109,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I am considering a job in Tucson.
I was there this past weekend...very humid there, by the way...and did not find many condos or townhomes for rent.
The realtors I talked to did not know what school districts their properties were in, either.
Homes seem really expensive, but moreover, rather a permanent thing.
Do people really just move to an area and buy a home or condo just like that? What if your job doesn't work out, or they fire you within your probation period?
I don't want to go into an apartment complex with the neighbors above or below, the small roads leading to the apartments, noisy neighbors, etc. I would want to spend about $1000-1400/ month to rent.
Interesting observation, Twixcookie

Definitely, Tucson is killer HOT and HUMID during July and August (the monsoon "rainy" season). Without a doubt, the remaining ten months offer the best weather imaginable with the relative humidity frequently dropping into the single digit category.

For the rent you are willing to spend, I see no reason you should have problems locating a decent home. However, you really need to know your employment location prior to home shopping because commuting can be a bear.

Sorry, since no kids, I'm no help with the School Districts but I cannot imagine that information would be too tough to research.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Bummer,
Thanx for the information!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 AM

Sierra,

Thanks for the links, they will be very helpful for me!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:31 AM

430 posts, read 1,202,532 times
Amphitheater schools are pretty good as long as you stay WAY north in the district.....Marana schools are decent too....TUSD and Sunnyside...well, not so much.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM

9,529 posts, read 29,109,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Bummer,
Thanx for the information!
You're most welcome, Twixcookie.

Do you have any idea where you will be employed yet?

Just holler is you want to "pick my brain" further! ! ! ! !

Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM

I just have to be concerned about the high schools...just have one teen at home now.
He is a good student, and likes the school he is in now, so I want to find a good school like that.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 PM

683 posts, read 2,510,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
Amphitheater schools are pretty good as long as you stay WAY north in the district.....Marana schools are decent too....TUSD and Sunnyside...well, not so much.
TUSD is either hit or miss and when they miss, they can miss big. My kids have been going to TUSD schools for the last six years and I've been very happy with their schools and their teachers. We've only experienced one teacher that was marginal.

TUSD has a major disadvantage because of all the non-english speaking students they get every year. I helped out in one of my kid's classes last year and I was amazed that out of 20 students there were 4 that didn't speak english. The teacher was fantastic though and I really respected the hard work that she did. However, it does slow down the rest of the class when the teacher has to spend time teaching students basic english.

Honestly though, I'd rank TUSD at the bottom and Catalina Foothils at the top. Marana and Vail are very good. I'm looking forward to moving northwest and having my children in the Marana District. If your son is a good student, then that is probably a product of good parenting more than the school district he's in. But it's definitely easier on parents and children when the kids are going to good schools with good teachers.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:32 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,656,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
TUSD is either hit or miss and when they miss, they can miss big. My kids have been going to TUSD schools for the last six years and I've been very happy with their schools and their teachers. We've only experienced one teacher that was marginal.

TUSD has a major disadvantage because of all the non-english speaking students they get every year. I helped out in one of my kid's classes last year and I was amazed that out of 20 students there were 4 that didn't speak english. The teacher was fantastic though and I really respected the hard work that she did. However, it does slow down the rest of the class when the teacher has to spend time teaching students basic english.

Honestly though, I'd rank TUSD at the bottom and Catalina Foothils at the top. Marana and Vail are very good. I'm looking forward to moving northwest and having my children in the Marana District. If your son is a good student, then that is probably a product of good parenting more than the school district he's in. But it's definitely easier on parents and children when the kids are going to good schools with good teachers.
Wow, you'd say TUSD is even worse than Sunnyside...?!

Catalina Foothills covers the most expensive area in town (it figures, right), but at least the price of RE is consistent with the quality of the schools. The problem with TUSD is that your house may still be expensive in some areas, but it falls into a crappy school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson