Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,272 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, you will have to pay the ticket unless a judge shows you empathy. It happens and many people have their tickets dismissed. I would go to court. You must maintain the 15 mph limit between the sign you see and the opposing sign you can't see. Hopefully, that makes sense. You aren't allowed to accelerate between crosswalks. What intersection was this? Maybe this is a "strange" set-up and the judge will dismiss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 23,703 times
No, that doesn't make sense. So you are supposed to maintain a 15 mph speed for how far or how long until you MIGHT come upon another crosswalk when in most cases there isn't one. If there are signs indicating where the school zone begins and ends then I would understand. How can the portable school zone speed limit signs mean one thing at one school and something different at another school? At a school with only one crosswalk, you go 15 mph from the first sign until you are past the crosswalk. At a school with two crosswalks, now you are supposed to go 15 mph from the first sign until you get past the last crosswalk, wherever that is? This happened in front of Richardson Elementary on Camino de la Tierra (between Ina and Orange Grove). There is another elementary school (Hendricks) at Camino de la Tierra and Orange Grove (a few blocks down). The same portable signs are posted at each school. Hendricks has one crosswalk, you can accelerate once you are past the crosswalk. Then you get to Richardson school and the same signs now mean something different? You can't accelerate until you get all the way past the school and the next crosswalk. Am I crazy or wrong or what? I just want to know what the right answer is and why!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
Happened to me i was only doing 24. It wasted my day in that nasty courthouse with felons and criminals. It was a one way conversation that was basically pay it, stop speeding. Don't speed in the construction areas either.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 AM

42 posts, read 131,141 times
Here's a link to the actual Arizona law 28-797 that governs school crossings:

28-797 - School crossings; civil penalty; assessment; definition

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but here's how I interpret it:

- The 15 MPH zone is 300 ft. either side of the crosswalks, and that's where the signs go.
- It's legal to speed up between the crosswalks.
- If the OP was caught speeding between the crosswalks and ticketed, then it would have to be shown that this occurred while crossing one of the signs ahead of the crosswalk, not before.

I'm new to Arizona (moving to Vail next week!), so it was good to look this up.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 AM

Yep, the law says between the signs. You are not allowed to speed up once you pass the crosswalk. You speed up when you hit the opposing sign for the other direction of travel. I have never seen a school that did not place the signs in the appropriate places. It is required by law and I doubt they would want to take the chance of a lawsuit if a child was injured. Schoolzonedriver may have a valid argument and should probably go to court. It wouldn't hurt to call or stop by the Pima Co. Sheriff's Office in that district and ask to speak with a Sgt. Take a map and ask him/her what the law specifically would be on that stretch of road. If the answer is in your favor, take the info to court.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 AM

I think I know what you are saying. At a crosswalk, you reduce your speed when you get to the first sign that says 15mph then you go thru the crosswalk and can accelerate once you pass the sign that says 15mph for the traffic going in the other direction. In my situation, there were two crosswalks and two different sets of signs. One at each end of the school, maybe 800 ft apart. I was ticketed for going over 15 mph when I was half way between the two streets, between the two sets of signs. I was no where near a crooswalk. I went 15 between the signs, then accelerated for a while before he recorded my speed. I was not in a school crossing zone.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Also, I did go to the Sheriffs office and spoke to a Sgt. She wouldn't even talk to me. She asked if I had gotten a ticket and when I said yes all she would tell me was to go do some research on-line. She said the officer would present his case to the judge and I could present my findings from my research and the judge would decide. She repeated this over and over in response to everything I said or asked.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 AM

It sounds like you have a good shot at getting this dismissed in court. I would draw a diagram or blow up a map and show it to the judge. Print out the statute as well. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
I would have thought this would be pretty universal across the country. In Illinois they post a sign at the beginning and one at the end saying "End Of school Zone." Once you pass the first sign you stay at the reduced speed until the end. Although here they have permanent signs that state that the reduced speed limit is to be followed "during school days when children are present."
never thought this would be different anywhere.

It is very clear here. I never thought that it would be any different anywhere else.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a sign that says "end of school zone". At least not in Tucson. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago. You are "sickofIL"? Well, good luck in Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson