U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:32 PM

8 posts, read 21,323 times

Advertisements

What is the law relating to school zone speed limits when there are two crosswalks, one at each end of the school? The school sits between two side streets, approx. 700ft from street to street. There is a set of portable school speed limit signs at the crosswalk at the north end of the school and another set at the crosswalk at the south end. The normal posted speed limit is 35mph. I slowed to 15mph thru the first crosswalk, accelerated to 29 between the crosswalks and was going to slow down to 15mph again at the next crosswalk, but I was ticketed for going 29mph in a school zone. Is this correct, or do I have any chance of fighting this in court?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 PM

3,063 posts, read 6,042,303 times
If you were not out of the posted school zone, assuming it's posted properly, the zone is the posted limit, not just the crosswalks.
I am betting it was posted OK and you are screwed. Many areas double the fines for school zone speeding too.
In WA where I lived at one time it was so bad up there many areas tripled the fines and finally slowed people down.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM

What does posted properly mean? If the sign that says "school speed limit 15" is the beginning of the school zone, what sign indicates the end of the school zone? The Arizona Driver License Manual from MVD says that "the maximum speed from the first sign to past the school crossing is 15 mph." I have not seen anything in the AZ rules of the road or the AZ Statutes that addresses more than one crosswalk or the definition of a school zone.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:11 PM

9,535 posts, read 29,364,202 times
Regardless of the responses on here, SchoolZone . . .

You've got nothing to lose by taking it to court to see how the judge rules but don't be too optimistic. There have been many problems with accidents in and around School Zones so they are being monitored much more closely lately.

Good Luck . . . keep us posted.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 PM

119 posts, read 278,660 times
Did the police get your speed with a laser gun?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 PM

Yes, he had a laser gun. He told me my speed and how far away I was from him at that time. This is how I know that I was no where near a crosswalk when he said I was going 29mph. I was right in the middle between the two crosswalks, and there are no other signs to indicate that the school zone extends beyond the crosswalk.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 PM

119 posts, read 278,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolzonedriver View Post
Yes, he had a laser gun. He told me my speed and how far away I was from him at that time. This is how I know that I was no where near a crosswalk when he said I was going 29mph. I was right in the middle between the two crosswalks, and there are no other signs to indicate that the school zone extends beyond the crosswalk.
I tried to send you a PM but for some reason it didnt go through.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM

I understand all the safety concerns in school zones. My kids went to this particular school when they were younger. One of my kids was hit by a car in the parking lot of his high school. I don't have a problem with the law. I just don't know what the law is. I've asked several police officers about this and they told me it was fine to accelerate after passing the first crosswalk and then slow down again at the second crosswalk. Obviously there is some confusion in this matter since another officer gave me a ticket. I just want to know the correct answer.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:09 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,560,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolzonedriver View Post
I understand all the safety concerns in school zones. My kids went to this particular school when they were younger. One of my kids was hit by a car in the parking lot of his high school. I don't have a problem with the law. I just don't know what the law is. I've asked several police officers about this and they told me it was fine to accelerate after passing the first crosswalk and then slow down again at the second crosswalk. Obviously there is some confusion in this matter since another officer gave me a ticket. I just want to know the correct answer.
That is the way I always understood the law. I would challenge it in court. Nothing to lose but time invested. Keep us posted on how it comes out.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM

444 posts, read 1,268,855 times
I always thought it was between the sign and the crosswalk. It doesn't make sense to have it between the posing sign and the opposing sign since you can't see the opposing sign except for assuming its placement by its shape. However, looking at the ARS on the subject, it leaves it pretty ambiguous.

ARS Code

Traffic court judges are surprisingly sympathetic about things like this. I once was sitting in court waiting for my case (which was ultimately dismissed), and the judge addressed everyone in order to basically say that we should never pay red light violations when we receive them in the mail because they're not legal and paying them waives our right to contest them. Cool judge, but that was in Chandler.

Last edited by coatimundi; 09-20-2011 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: ARS poor titling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson