Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 PM

98 posts, read 237,839 times

Advertisements

Like others said, definitely the Desert Museum. We went to it twice on our week long honeymoon in Tucson. I also recommend riding the trolley thing up Sabino Canyon, and hiking back down. It's gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM

44 posts, read 90,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Also, check out the Pima Air & Space museum. I forget the road, but there is a road right there that runs right through the airplane bone yards. They got rows of A10's and F16's etc.
It's Kolb Road. They do tours (for a fee) mid-week from the Air Musuem. My guys LOVE it but are military/aeronautic enthusiasts. The museum itself is off Valencia. There are some cool photo ops of those rows and rows of airplanes from outside the base.

But like Mike said, there is so much to do in Tucson, even those of us living here have a hard time fitting it all in!! LOL

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 AM

37 posts, read 79,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
One place I think is a must see is the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. If you are coming next month the weather will be excellent and the Desert Museum is a great way to learn about the areas natural desert,wildlife and flora.

As for best combination of commute to UofA and schools you might consider the Foothills/Catalina Foothills School area.
============

Thanks a lot again for all the helpful info to my post! The Univ of Arizona has arranged for someone to take me to the Desert Museum as well as show me around Catalina Foothills area next weekend, when I will be there for my job interview. I am looking forward to the visit!!
Thanks!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
Weather is beautiful right now, it's a great time to visit! Enjoy your stay in the Old Pueblo!

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 10-02-2011 at 12:09 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 AM

191 posts, read 789,315 times
Pima Air Museum is a big plus! It's close to the SW corner of Valencia/Kolb Rds.

I'm assuming you will be making relatively decent income in Tucson, I'd suggest you live in the foothills area ... it's considered upper income neighborhood. It has relatively low crime rate and the traffic isn't quite heavy until , of course, you reached the UofA area.

Can't complain about the weather. Plus you don't have to worry about tornadoes and earthquakes! With your 'relatively' secure and decent paying job in Tucson, I'd say you got it made...in the Old Pueblo.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks. Dont have the job yet, but have a good feeling about the interview next week. Yeah, will focus on the Foothills area, since I heard the schools are pretty good, and the commute to U of A will not be too bad. Never been to Tucson, but looking forward to my guided city tour this sunday!!

Last edited by bubble2007; 10-07-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 AM

Had my interview at the University of Arizona earlier this week. It was a great experience. The job description is great, and everyone liked me. Was treated very well by taking me to good restaurants like Vivace and Sam Hughes. Had wonderful gelato at the N.Enchalada mall! The city tour was great. and gave me a flavor of the town. Saw the Sonoran desert museum, but did not have time to go inside. Definitely on my second visit, when I will have lot more time with my family.

Now the important decision is pretty much in my hands, regarding accepting the position and moving to Tucson with family. Its a big decision,and we will take our time...

Having lived 7 years in the east coast, I found Tucson totally different! I was well prepared from what I had read, but it will take some time to get adjusted. The past weekend weather was awesome. I did notice the traffic to be slow in the surface streets. The fact that most houses I visited had a pool was a nice change to the houses in the east coast. The airport was small, but I have seen smaller ones!

I was informed you are not allowed to leave basket ball hoops outside at night!? Needs to be brought inside. I wonder why???

The low cost of living is a big plus, and no one seemed to complain too much about the heat!

I overall think I will be accepting the job once we discuss all the pros and cons with my family!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 AM

605 posts, read 705,179 times
Great news! Congrats to you and your family I hope you enjoy Tucson as much as I will (I will be moving there next month). Around Christmas time, you should take your family to see the holiday lights in Winterhaven. It's basically a neighborhood that holds competitions on fantastic light displays Very enjoyable! Winterhaven Festival of Lights, Tucson AZ

Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 PM

344 posts, read 642,999 times
I've enjoyed the Festival of Lights since I was a kid. I bring my family from S Vista to watch at least once during the year.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
if you haven't already figured it out, you'll find Tucson is very casual and not showy....may even be a bit trashy to some in certain areas....architecture is low-key, mostly.....La Encantada (Enchalada??!!) mall is the fanciest thing going here and you may see an overdressed trophy wife or three there sometimes!!!

with the dry air, temp swings from day to night are very big.....

re: the hoop thing....don't know where you heard that (?), but individual HOAs may have rules....bolted to the eaves of the house would be hard to "bring in" every night!.....but there are portable ones you see out on the street - maybe that style??

congratulations.....if you have kids, make sure they won't be PO'd at moving.....

lots to consider....read the other threads here on Tucson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson