Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,597 times

Advertisements

I also posted this in the generic AZ landscaping thread, but I haven't gotten any response.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could pick up some sod in Tucson. We just want a small patch of grass in our backyard that would be good for bocce ball or something like that. Big box home improvement doesn't seem to carry it in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
Big box home improvement doesn't seem to carry it in this area.
Really?! I could swear I've seen it.

If he doesn't see the thread, send a DM to BillyBaroo. He should know.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:01 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Most Garden Centers either carry it or will order it for you. If you order it, you probably need to order a minimum of 500 sq ft. But it's cheaper to buy the 500 sq ft than to by individual rolls that are dry and old sitting in the nursery. And you can either sell what is not used back to the store, or get a neighbor to buy/use what is left over.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,299 times
West Coast Turf and Western Sod are a couple of big companies around here. But you should also be able to find it at Home Depot and Lowes. They might have been sold out when you were there.

I'd recommend any of the Tif hybrid bermudas or the BOB sod. The BOB sod was created for Bank One Ballpark to be more tolerant of the shady conditions they have in the corners of the stadium.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with bermuda grass, but it goes dormant and turns brown every winter after we have our first frost. So if you want green grass during the winter, you have to overseed with rye grass in the fall every year. It's a good idea to not overseed the first year though when you're establishing your lawn. Right now is a good time to start your lawn, bermuda loves hot days and warm nights. It really takes off during the monsoon.

I can hardly wait to get started on my yard! We're signing the papers tomorrow and getting the keys to our new house in Red Rock on Tuesday. It's been a long time coming and we're almost there.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
I can hardly wait to get started on my yard! We're signing the papers tomorrow and getting the keys to our new house in Red Rock on Tuesday. It's been a long time coming and we're almost there.
Wow, it's done. Congrats, Billy! Hope you enjoy it as much as you were looking forward to it!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow, it's done. Congrats, Billy! Hope you enjoy it as much as you were looking forward to it!
Woo hoo! The first thing I'm going to enjoy is walking to work instead of driving 70 miles a day.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Woo hoo! The first thing I'm going to enjoy is walking to work instead of driving 70 miles a day.
In your case it's true, but just don't deceive people by telling them you live/work in Tucson... I could say I live in Sierra Vista with about the same success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: