U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,613 times

Advertisements

Hello! New to this but wanted to ask about both Oro Valley and Tanque Verde. We would be moving this winter or spring. We'd like a family neighborhood with access to places to walk our dogs, ride bikes and great schools. Price around 300 to 350K. New or otherwise in a family home. I have heard how desirable Oro Valley is but not much about Tanque Verde so I like some info to compare the two. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM

484 posts, read 920,652 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...que-verde.html

Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,587,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonmom View Post
Hello! New to this but wanted to ask about both Oro Valley and Tanque Verde. We would be moving this winter or spring. We'd like a family neighborhood with access to places to walk our dogs, ride bikes and great schools. Price around 300 to 350K. New or otherwise in a family home. I have heard how desirable Oro Valley is but not much about Tanque Verde so I like some info to compare the two. Thanks!
Both are great places to live, but very different in my opinion. Oro Valley is pretty much a typical western US suburb. Some great views of the Catalina Mountains, tons of shopping and restaurants close by, the majority of whcih are on Oracle Rd. All of the Tucson area is bike friendly and Oro Valley has plenty of great bike paths. Tons of golf courses. Catalina State park is nearby with hiking paths etc. Wide range of homes prices from from 100K+ range to 1.5 to 2 million range. Tanque Verde, while it has parts that are a bit suburban, much of it has a more open/rural feel to it. Areas with horse property as well as luxury areas. Quite a diverse area within itself. Fabulous views! You are only minutes from the Catalina Highway whcih will take you to the top of Mount Lemmon, which is about 9150 ft elevation. A nice summer getaway and snow in the winter up top! Like Oro Valley a wide range of home pricing, Oro Valley and NE Tucson/Tanque Verde Area run about the same in average cost per sq ft. for a home.Tanque Verde does not have as much in the way of shopping close by, so it is a bit longer of a trip for Home Depot runs, Kohls etc. But grocery stores and plenty of restaurants are close. Great for bikes, great area for walking pets.

I think both areas will have most of what you need, but they do have a different "feel" to them. I have had clients thinking they wanted to live in Oro Valley and ended up choosing Tanque Verde and Sabino Canyon area after visiting and I have had clients that thought they wanted to live in Tanque Verde / Sabino Canyon area that ended up buying in Oro Valley. They are both great places to live. so IMHO you can't go wrong in either area. And in your price range plenty to choose from for a home. I would recomend visiting and touring both area and see what fits your family the best!

What part of Oregon you in? My daughter just moved to Portland!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,613 times
Great info thanks! We live in Eugene and are ready to escape the clouds and see some sunny days! I really appreciate your info as we will be heading that way in early Dec if my husband decides to take the interview he has been offered.
Do you have any feel for differences in school districts in these areas?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM

[quote=Oregonmom;21744415]Great info thanks! We live in Eugene and are ready to escape the clouds and see some sunny days! I really appreciate your info as we will be heading that way in early Dec if my husband decides to take the interview he has been offered.
Do you have any feel for differences in school districts in these areas?[/quote]

Go Ducks! You have an exciting football team to watch!

Both areas have schools that are highly regarded by the people that live in those areas. Here is a popular website GreatSchools.org

Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 AM

29 posts, read 63,231 times
RickTucsonHomes summed it up pretty well, but I wanted to add one thing about the biking - what you'll find in Oro Valley is more access to wide bike lanes and bike paths that are off the street. In Tanque Verde the bike lanes are fewer, and narrower, but there is also less traffic in a lot of cases. It depends on what kind of bicycling you intend to do. Both areas have good mountain biking very close, but I'd give Tanque Verde the edge for it's proximity to Reddington Pass.

Another thing to consider with both areas is what else in the area you might like to access. Tanque Verde is more isolated from things like freeway access, and getting downtown, etc.. You have great access to anything on the far East side of town, but that's about it. Oro Valley is to the Northwest of town and has better freeway and downtown/U of A access.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronagra View Post
RickTucsonHomes summed it up pretty well, but I wanted to add one thing about the biking - what you'll find in Oro Valley is more access to wide bike lanes and bike paths that are off the street. In Tanque Verde the bike lanes are fewer, and narrower, but there is also less traffic in a lot of cases. It depends on what kind of bicycling you intend to do. Both areas have good mountain biking very close, but I'd give Tanque Verde the edge for it's proximity to Reddington Pass.

Another thing to consider with both areas is what else in the area you might like to access. Tanque Verde is more isolated from things like freeway access, and getting downtown, etc.. You have great access to anything on the far East side of town, but that's about it. Oro Valley is to the Northwest of town and has better freeway and downtown/U of A access.
Excellent point on the difference in biking in the two areas. Here is a link for nationally ranked bike friendly cities. Tucson is ranked 8th just ahead of,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Eugene Oregon! So OregonMom you should feel right at home biking wise. Also In west Tucson you have Sweetwater Preserve which is some of the most scenic mountain riding you will find. Not as challenging as others, but quite scenic. That is one of the nice things in Tucson, even if you live in Oro Valley orTanque Verde, you can get to Sweetwater Preserve in about 30-45 minutes. Not something to do on a daily basis, but very doable on occasion for something different in your ride. Another thing to consider OregonMom, you mentioned your husband was coming down for an interview. What part of town would he be working. One would not want to live in Tanque Verde and commute to Oro Valley or vice versa, would make for long tedious commute.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 11-17-2011 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson