U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
20,164 posts, read 23,221,377 times
Reputation: 15262

Advertisements

I'm just wondering.

We're thinking about relocating from the northwest to escape the endless frigid winters up there, but right now, Tucson looks even colder (at least at night).

Is the current cold snap an anomaly, or pretty much to be expected? Or is a "dry cold" as comfortable as that elusive "dry heat" we keep hearing about?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Oro Valley AZ.
1,024 posts, read 2,596,944 times
Reputation: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm just wondering.

We're thinking about relocating from the northwest to escape the endless frigid winters up there, but right now, Tucson looks even colder (at least at night).

Is the current cold snap an anomaly, or pretty much to be expected? Or is a "dry cold" as comfortable as that elusive "dry heat" we keep hearing about?
We will probably have 4-5 of these cold snaps durring the winter. It will be cold for 3 or 4 days then warms back up to the 70,s durring the day low40's at night. Overall winters here are hard to beat.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 PM
 
4,211 posts, read 13,336,918 times
Reputation: 4204
if you must have even warmer winters, Yuma will be about 5-10 degrees warmer on average than Tucson....but you may not find Yuma appealing, otherwise.........

and Florida is warmer, on average, also....but has higher humidity and a whole different attitude than Arizona!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 PM
 
Location: West of the Catalinas East of the Tortolitas
4,923 posts, read 8,078,259 times
Reputation: 8031
Yeah, this is pretty normal. You should see the weather gurus. They are freaking out about how cold it is. Last February we had the "freeze of the century" that killed a lot of plants and trees. We'll get another cold snap in February. And rain/snow. In between, it'll be in the 70's.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
20,164 posts, read 23,221,377 times
Reputation: 15262
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
We will probably have 4-5 of these cold snaps durring the winter. It will be cold for 3 or 4 days then warms back up to the 70,s durring the day low40's at night. Overall winters here are hard to beat.
Thanks, Rick. I'll keep thinking about Tucson.

[mod cut-- off topic for this thread]

Last edited by observer53; 12-07-2011 at 04:54 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 02:44 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
20,164 posts, read 23,221,377 times
Reputation: 15262
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if you must have even warmer winters, Yuma will be about 5-10 degrees warmer on average than Tucson....but you may not find Yuma appealing, otherwise.........

and Florida is warmer, on average, also....but has higher humidity and a whole different attitude than Arizona!
Thanks for the advice, but no Yuma: whole lotta nuthin. No Florida: New Yawk south. No Phoenix: too darn big.

No, it's Tucson if we decide to go warm...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
20,164 posts, read 23,221,377 times
Reputation: 15262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Yeah, this is pretty normal. You should see the weather gurus. They are freaking out about how cold it is. Last February we had the "freeze of the century" that killed a lot of plants and trees. We'll get another cold snap in February. And rain/snow. In between, it'll be in the 70's.
70's sounds mighty nice. Hard to get that warm INDOORS in the Northwest!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 PM
 
Location: West of the Catalinas East of the Tortolitas
4,923 posts, read 8,078,259 times
Reputation: 8031
FYI, Yeledaf, pansies, geraniums, chrythansemums, and herbs grow outside all year long. We have flowering plants and some trees will still have leaves all through the winter. My tomatoes are still blooming (had to bring them inside) and so are my peppers. It may get cold, but it's short, and you can cover or bring in your plants, and in a few days it'll feel like a New England Spring....BTW, our complexes swimming pool is open year round and it's outdoors.....spent 40 years deep in the Colorado Mountains, so loving these temps and this weather...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
22,048 posts, read 26,358,025 times
Reputation: 30547
All's well on the Southwestern front, no matter what the temp is, until............a blast of wind kicks in!

Then? Get out your windchill tables and don't scream too loud and wake up the neighbors!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-08-2011 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: Edit
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 03:23 PM
 
739 posts, read 1,768,991 times
Reputation: 815
We were there for that cold snap last winter. It was amazing to see all the large fountains with frozen icicles instead of water. We found a restaurant with a fireplace and it was SO cozy. The sun was bright, the views beautiful and it was an interesting time to be there. Yeah, our water pipe froze outside of the Airstream and we had to bring it in at night (after replacing it) but it beats winter in Oregon.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top